Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running in salt water  (Read 1728 times)

late02

Running in salt water
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:55:05 am »

The puffer Wee Dram has now had her maiden voyage. It was done in the Baltic. Is there something special to look for running a model in salt water?

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Running in salt water
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:00 pm »

RUST :o seriously. I run in brackish water all the time and part of the routine is to make sure no water gets inside the radio box as salt water will kill your radio, if you do not have a separate radio box then make sure no water can get in the hull. After run maintenance is essential, I carry fresh water with me to flush out all water lines and the cooling system immediately after I am done for the day to prevent salt build up. CRC5-56 or WD40 for a good spray down of everything mechanical. Preventative measures include spraying all servos with CRC 2-26 (inside) just in case.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

And make sure that the propshaft is well lubed before sailing, preferably with something water repellent.  It sounds 'orrible when the shaft rusts to the bearing and the bearing turns in the outer.  You will appreciate the care and attention that you paid in building to make sure that you could get at the innards for servicing.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

craftysod

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:50:08 pm »

I will say the same as above,not just the water,the salt air will corrode the small pins on the rx.
Make sure your radio gear is sealed or a preventative lubricant is applied
Mark

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:44:17 pm »

Our club sailing lake is salt water, and I've been sailing in it for 6 years. As mentioned in previous posts, the main thing is to wash down after sailing with fresh water. The only problem I have had is a couple of rudder shafts seized, only because I did not lubricate them with waterproof grease. The shafts are brass rod, running in brass tube, but salt water still causes some corrosion on brass, so now all my rudder and prop shafts are lubricated with outboard motor grease. I have never had a problem with any radio gear as a result of sailing in salt water, mainly because I make sure no water gets inside the hull.

As a matter of interest, one of our lady members had her small tug accidentally rammed and sunk by a much larger vessel. It was immediately retrieved from 8 feet of water - luckily it was a hot day  8) - and all the radio gear was flushed with fresh water and allowed to dry in the sun. She is still using the same gear to this day, as it suffered no ill effect, (apart from the batteries, which immediately shorted) probably because of the quick action taken.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.