Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first tug question  (Read 1986 times)

CaptVos

My first tug question
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:14:16 pm »

Hey guys! im new to boat mayhem and have never worked on working rc models but have had experience with static ones, i have a boat ive been thinking about and am wondering if you guys will help me out with ideas and input so i dont screw up too bad. I am wanting to build a twin screwed push boat probably about 24" long with a 6" or 7" draft and about a 8" width. the power i want to do is twin twin cylinder steam engines with butane burners. i know this is a very vague idea of it but any input is greatly appreciated! also any input on rc equipment is greatly appreciated!!!! And also i am very appreciative for being accepted into the forums!

knoby

Re: My first tug question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:43 pm »

Hi Capt vos, welcome to mayhem ( its called mayhem for a good reason), always good to get a new member who's interested in steam. I'm no expert in steam, more an enthusiastic amature, but there are many experts on here who will be only to happy to advise/help you.
A twin twin set up for your first model sounds  like you are jumping in at the deep end, & feel you will need a little more space than a 24inch model to achieve it. Have a read through the 2 steam sections here, there is a wealth of information & lots of model ideas too. Once you have a better idea of what you fancy building, I'm sure the members will help out.

Good lick , Glenn

CaptVos

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:09:42 am »

Sounds like you know exactly what you are doing, and are probably right about me jumping head first into the deep end! I personally just want a steam tug that can show up the double screw and single electric guys, ive seen alot of electrics that are super strong! and thanks for the advice very encouraging!

CaptVos

knoby

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:19:15 pm »

To be honest we really need some more information. If you could give us an idea of the models you are interested in & some idea of the budget you have, then it would be easier to point you in the right direction.

to build a steam powered tug that will take on & beat the electric ones is going to take some doing, but by no means is impossible. My current projects aim is to build a steam powered model that will be competitive in steering regattas. The difference between one that performs OK & one that is really good takes a lot of work, experience & ultimately finace.

perhaps a slightly less ambitious project would be the way to start, once you have it working to your satisfaction you could always sell it to finace the next project. The experience gained from from that would prove invaluable & you would have a much better idea of what  is achievable.

Good luck Glenn

CaptVos

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:11:16 pm »

well i want to do an american push boat? im assuming yall have an idea about what im describing?. ive been on here asking people questions in the steam R&D section and steam for this type of model is probably neither financiable nor practical since the space is limited and the amount of power im wanting probably isnt achieavable for a novice like me! :D so basically i want to do a twin screw set up and ive found a tug on here called the springer tug which is simple to construct and i may enlarge it and slightly modify it to look like the pusher i want. but im lost as to what R/C equipment i need, trannies and motors etc etc etc. so any insight as to what i need would be greatly appreciated i want a boat that can hook up to another tug or barge and yank it like its a feather!

CaptVos

p.s. i do have other discussions going on in other sections of the forum still discussing steam for this model but its just out of curiosity and to build my knowledge!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.