Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dickie or Henlong  (Read 4074 times)

john1951

Dickie or Henlong
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »

Is the original Dickie Workboat superior to the later Chinese version ?
 I'd be very interested to hear any opinions before I buy !

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Dickie or Henlong
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »

How do we tell the difference?
 either way the fitted radio is rubbish and need replacing.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:47:10 am »

I think one of them has a 'Dickie' logo on it.
The other has 'Work Boat' on it.

I would hazard a guess that they are the same.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

billa65t

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

Hi John,
            the only real difference seems to be that the original "Dickie" work boats had better motors in them as standard than the new one's !! the electrics in all of them are rubbish but the motors in the new one's vary alot in speed and durability (we have about 26 of the the new one's in various guises and around 10 of the original one's at our club)
Regards
Bill :-)) 8)

hmsantrim

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:06:14 am »

Hi John.
          As far as I am aware the pix I saw of the dicky, it seemed to come with what looked like the standard two channel radio tranny
         and was dearer than the later version.  I dont know if the Dicky had any speed control as I only have the work boat version.

The work boat has the gun tranny one speed and the steering is non existant.  Ideal to tinker with If you get a cheap one off flea
       bay..       

Its ideal for a conversion to standard gear and for putting your own stamp on.  I went the whole hog motor, coupler, shaft,
       shaft oiler, tiller arm, and four blade brass prop,,refitt  I have kept the watertank as I intend to use the monitor and I wanted to
       keep the deck locating lugs.  I am using a 6volt  C cell pack on top of the tank, 10amp viper s,con, and the receiver pack sits where
       the concrete ballast block was located.

It works out about 1/48 scale so you can get some figures on it and there are woven fenders and tyres to be got on e-bay
          if you want to add more detail.

cheers Frank

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:27 am »

I have the Dicky. I threw the radio servo and battery pack away, they were rubbish.
I then removed the water ballast tank and fitted a new servo a speed controller, a 2.4 receiver and a 6V 5ah SLA battery.
Then I fitted a new superstructure to 1: 48 scale.
The tug is now the wifes.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Chameo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:23:35 am »

I have a Dickie Monica fishing boat (which is the same hull) and got a Hen Long seaport workboat a few days ago. The parts may be very similar but they are not the same. Most notably there's a huge different in quality. The Dickie parts are ok but the Hen Long parts have lots of sharp flashes and the hull has many dents at it's outside where mounts are molded at the inside.
Even the assembly quality is bad. The seal between hull and deck hung loose at the outside partially. I found cracked screws, screws that stuck beside their holes and even missing screws.  >>:-(

So, if you have the chance to get an original Dickie (think the are out of production), buy it!

Ok, the electronics are bad in both versions but everyone here seems to be interested in the hull and superstructure and not in electronics.

- Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.