Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: broadband prices.  (Read 3270 times)

hopeitfloats

broadband prices.
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:00:03 am »

just as a matter of interest how much do you pay for broadband useage. nz is considered to be among the most expensive in the world.  average would be 20GB for 46 pounds per month.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: broadband prices.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:11:46 am »

I have been with Talk Talk (was Tiscali) for 5 years, My current deal is up to 20mb plus free UK phone calls for £22 per month. Currently achieving about 7mb, due to living in what the rest of the country calls the back of beyond - Norfolk!

Rick

hopeitfloats

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:26:33 am »

was that MB or GB

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:36:23 am »

was that MB or GB
That would be MB for speed, rather than GB as a monthly limit (dont think anybody has a GB speed).  My deal caps me at 40GB, which is more than adequate for me, but my landline calls to most Europe and most of the English speaking world are included in the £23pcm, as is the B line rental.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

wbeedie

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »

£5 a month unlimited  8 meg speed with sky also have free phone calls and cheaper line rental than BT to boot with three sky boxes 1 HD 1 Sky + and one normal all in all a big saving i have everything apart from sport for less than £100 a month

hopeitfloats

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:02:16 am »

looks like we are getting ripped off big time

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:50:27 am »

looks like we are getting ripped off big time
Possibly not.  Over here, there was a huge infrastructure that was created and paid for before broadband was even thought of that is being used at very little cost to the broadband providers.  Only guessing, but you could well be paying for the new gear.  Over time, of course, the companies will forget that their debts have been paid ff, but they will still do their best to keep charging at the same rate.  Thats when it becomes a rip-off.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:13:05 pm »

The british telecom rate is £16 for basic ADSL  on top of paying for phone, excluding offers and deals with a reasonable download cap. This is probably the most expensive with the resellers providing lots of deals and strings attached too.
Cable is 12.50 for basic on top of phone, with no cap.
Both give free wireless N router.

Actual performance on all these services is still in the lap of the gods with as many horror stories as highly satisfied customers.

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 03:21:49 pm »

Here in Spain I pay 46 Euros (40 pounds) a month for a 1meg speed unlimited connection.  >>:-( <*< >>:-( <*< <:( <:(

Nothing else included.....

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:17 pm »

We pay about £15 a month for 10mb but rarely achieve more than 50kb. Sometimes much less.

The only way to get a better service would be to pay for a commercial service, about £150/m.

When we were in Shanghai we had 50mb pipe in the office, and so did everyone else in the 30 floor office building. However, I would guess there was not much more than a 50mb pipe on the street that we were all trying to plug into, along with everyone else on the street.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

boater12

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »

for less than £100 a month

£100 a month  :police:

I have sky, the full package broadband, free phonecalls and it is £39.50 per month and this is on a small island !

Jim

and a very fast broadband it is

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:15:39 pm »

I would guess that the broadband service (and the undersea cable) in IOM is largely paid for by all the bandwidth used by the banks.
Skye is another small island but does not have the financial sector as the base of its economy, and so the domestic customer has to pay for the infrastructure.

My guess, but what would I know.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 07:06:53 pm »

Here in finland €26 a month for a 1meg line and F-Secure AV/Firewall software subscription, Cant get any faster due to the distance to the exchange :( But there are only 5 of us on the exchange so 1 meg means 1 meg  :-))
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

wbeedie

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 01:06:20 am »

£100 a month  :police:

I have sky, the full package broadband, free phonecalls and it is £39.50 per month and this is on a small island !

Jim

and a very fast broadband it is
Thre different boxes One on HD plus full package46 quid two extra cards each a tenner line rental £10 broadband a fiver and have just changed to unlimited calls only had the free package before which meant I had to pay for a fair bit  buit now down to a fiver a month so in my eyes still a good deal

Damien

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:36:00 am »

Here in Aust we pay $75 p/month far ADSL2 + all phone calls and 120Gb download limit, a great speed as we as we're close to the exchange. We started at this price 6yrs ago and only 20Gb download limit each year the limit has risen with no cost rises a great deal.
Damien.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 07:18:33 am »

You're lucky, Damien, we can't get ADSL2 here, just ADSL. 12Gb per month, 1500kbps download, 256kbps upload for $59.95  >>:-( There's no fibre optics in our area   >:-o.

Peter.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 07:50:31 am »

when I was in Perth this year the hotel advertised Fast broadband as it was in a business are, it was so slow, when my son visited he had a play and was supprised how fast it was, he recons it was twice as fast as he got at home in Perth , and when he is at his work site up country he recons it is like dial up I always thought that AUS was way ahead of us in some area of technology, I know it is expensive over there as he pays more than I pay for 50mb which is £38 ,I know they are in home automation

Peter

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 12:24:18 pm »

i'm on virgin get phone line with unlimited free landline calls all the tv channels and 20mb broadband with no limits all for £48 per month

does us

phil

Bee

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 11:28:54 pm »

Virgin are introducing 100meg later this year, for domestic users. What do people do with it all?

Damien

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 12:14:31 am »

Downloading movies & tv shows takes lots of bandwidth typically 3Gb for a movie and online games such as world of warcraft use heaps of band width before my son moved out we went over the limit every month.
Now that TV is available ovet the internet quotas will increase even more.
Damien.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.