Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie!  (Read 2042 times)

hulldown

newbie!
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »

Hi everyone, another newbie here, just launched so to speak. Always wanted to build ships, never got round to it, seen some great builds on this and other sites and decided to go for it. I used to build model aircraft and anything else that took my fancy, but always had a desire to build a warship. My favorite ships are the Russian cold war ones and I'm desperately trying to find some 1/100 scale plans of a Krivak. So, if anyone knows where I can get some from, I will be eternally grateful.

Mike

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: newbie!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:50:08 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Mike. Yet another cross over from aeromodelling, as I was  O0

There's plenty of information here, all you need to do is ask.

Peter.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:14:45 am »

Hi hulldown, the Ruskies biult some handsome sleek ships during this era........... not sure about their quality control though.  :}

Prophet

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:53:59 am »

This isnt a plan of the boat your want but rather a link to a site where one guy has built the one step by step.  Prehaps this will help with your build for refrence
I do think that maybe 1/100 scale will be way to big unless you intend to do a split hull and have a van to move it around in prehaps try it in 1/200 or 1/250 scale may be more pratical since this will be your first attempt in making a war ship.
Welcome to the forum always nice to see fresh faces

Prophet

Main build link

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34726&sid=ed85bb053d2810f56783edb60b647b48

photo refrence of a 1/700 model
http://www.steelnavy.com/SkywaveKrivakJC.htm

hulldown

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:51:20 pm »

:}Thanks all for the welcome. Prophet I'm looking at 1/100 scale as I used to build models in that scale before. Have I got my calculations correct though, I thought 1/100 was equal to 1mm to 1 metre, IF I'm right, would the model be about 1,123mm long? If I'm correct (and I might not be! lol) that should be ok for size for me.
I'm in no rush to build her, I enjoy the challenge, and there's enough help on this site to guide me when I cock up lol! O0

Mike

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:16:50 pm »

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum from another newbie, the attached link should take you to the warship model build forum where there are features on the Krivak build, I've no doubt if you get the help as you would from this forum, then you should get all the info you may need.
              Using google search there's a lot of info links on there also, one states the hull as being 123.5 mtrs long hence, if my arithmetic is correct, that will give you a 1.235 mtr model @ 1:100 ( 10mm  to the metre)

Anyway hope all goes well for you, regards, Tony.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34726&start=20

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 06:22:41 pm »

Sorry Prophet - oldtimers setting in! just noticed your thread - doh!!  :embarrassed:

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:06:57 pm »

Actually its my bad... i didn't know the original boats length to start with, honestly i never looked .. i just assumed it would be as long as most others i have seen at my local club over 2.5m in length. but 1.5 m avg is a good size i don't build warships i normally build cruisers, tugs and barges. but defiantly keep us posted on your build i would love to see it

hulldown

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:38:49 am »

Hi guys, well things are moving! ordered a couple of books for ref, but would seriously like to get hold of some of the russian books, so many illustrations, sadly the website I use takes me nowhere <:( A guy has some 1/144 scale plans he's sorting out for me and i'll get them rescaled. Have the ply for the hull, going to make a solid 'plug' then fibreglass all over, done this before so I'm ok up to that stage. Have the fibreglass just waiting on the plans :-)

Mike

Prophet

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »

:-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 22 queries.