Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Gas Engine to recharge model batterys  (Read 2683 times)

jason99099

Using Gas Engine to recharge model batterys
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:58:38 pm »

I am building a working model of a dredger and with high power useage motors i was looking to insert a gas engine and hook it up to an alternator and therefore replenish my on board battery, i was just wondering if anyone had done this before?

many thanks

jason

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Re: Using Gas Engine to recharge model batterys
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:04:52 pm »

I am building a working model of a dredger and with high power useage motors i was looking to insert a gas engine and hook it up to an alternator and therefore replenish my on board battery, i was just wondering if anyone had done this before?

many thanks

jason
No but that sounds like fun. Lets see some photos of the build. Im putting a 23cc engine in a Arun lifeboat. Should be fun??
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

knoby

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:57:17 pm »

Hi Jason, i haven't done it myself but I know the aircraft boys have used them to recharge?run their radio systems. Think you will have trouble finding a small alternator with a decent output though. It all depends on the space you have available.

www.sullivanproducts.com

this is the link to the aircraft alternator, don't know how much it is, but I'm guessing it ain't cheap.

Hope this helps Cheers Glenn

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:15 am »

We have had a one person build a couple of boats similar to what you are proposing.
One was a 1/4 scale Mohagany runabout, the other wash his tugboat.

Both were essentially Hybrids. In that the gas motor ran an alternator or generator to
create electricity to power his electric motors.

This is his tug...Pauliny

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:58:08 am »

We have a couple of customers who have garden railways. They have successfully coupled a 'gas' engine (in this case an OS 40 Four Stroke) to 755 electric motors in their locos to perform two functions:
1. The electric motor is used to start the four-stroke via a switcher unit;
2. One running, the four stroke then spins the electric motor which is switched over to act as a generator for another drive motor (via an ESC). The radio is run from the starter battery (12v) via a 5v regulator.
I guess they like the sound of the four-stroke engine but unless the electric motors use a heck of a lot of current and/or are required to run for hours on end then it does seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Why not just fit bigger batteries? You're gonna need a fuel tank for the I/C engine anyway..........
Suit yourself.
FLJ

jason99099

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:07:42 pm »

Yer but its easier to fit fuel tanks into a double bottom for example than it is for me to fit a battery into a space. The post by full leather jacket is a very interesting one think ill take that idea on board. Another thing i was looking at doing was making it out thin steel as i think i would be better at sheetmetal work than firbreglassing, anyone have any thoughts/opinions on that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.