Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MMM Rosegarth Build  (Read 5277 times)

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pentland Model Boat Club
MMM Rosegarth Build
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:52:27 pm »

Hi Folks,

Just starting on the tug "Rosegarth from MMM, my first kit so there's a steep learning curve!!

Can anyone help with some advice.... ??  How do you go about determining the position of, and fixing,  the aft deck inwales and support beams as there is very little room at the turn of the hull towards the stern where the bulwarks meet the deck.  I have fixed the fore deck by lining it up with the freeing ports but there are non as you get towards the stern and very little space to fit anything under the deck at the edges here.

Have attached some photos of progress to date as I know you all like photos, hope they load up!

Thanks

Peter   :-)

!!!! Tried to post this once before but think it failed !!!
Think I'm suffering from De Ja Vu,   I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: MMM Rosegarth Build
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:27:14 pm »

That's hell of a coupling!
 What is it?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:33:16 pm »

Martin, that's just a temporary rigid coupling to line everything up while the motor mount sets in the hull,.... sealed the edges of the motor platform with "Milliput" then filled the space underneath with fibreglass resin... all in perfect alignment and solid as a rock.  The Hex Brass has now been replaced with a flexible connector!  :-))

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:55:44 pm »

Hello Peter, is this a complete kit as supplied you're building, or part scratch? in any event looking very good  :-))

Can you please tell me a little (or a lot!) more re your coupling for shaft / motor alignment? i.e. are there interchangeable ends for spindle and shaft thread sizes? also how do you determine the length?, I was thinking (as a newcomer) if the motor and shaft were at an angle and the drive coupling differed in length then allowance would have to be made for the motor to slide back or forth in alignment etc.etc. I'm only on my second build but a quicker and sure way of setting up accurate motor and shaft alignment is a plus in my book. 

Any info gratefully received, please keep the pics coming - I love to follow builds and generally I manage to learn a little at most visits to the forum.

Kind regards, Tony.

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 05:16:59 pm »

Tony,

Yes its the full kit from Mobile Marine Models and is the first kit I've done. I have only scratch built in the past and mainly from builders drawings, I have built models of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company vessels the Aestus a Hydrographic survey ship and the Salvage Vessel Vigilant. So far I think scratch building is easier as you can plan how to construct the model yourself rather than being constrained by the kit manufacturers method of doing things, as in this case I would have allowed for the deck supports to be built in at an early stage before the hull was completed. so you can see where my dilemma is!
The coupling is supplied complete in the kit, I turned up the rigid connecting piece on the lathe to fit the two ends of the supplied coupling. When all was secured into the hull I simply measured the distance between the shoulders of the coupling and trimmed the flexible tube to that length. a millimeter or two short is ok but too long and it won't fit!!

I'll keep updating this thread but I am not the fastest of builders so it may not be too regular.

All comments are very much appreciated.!

Bruce99

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:30 pm »

Hi there,

Glad to see that you have done a lot of the things that I thought necessary. I have had to overcome a 3mm twist in my Rosegarth hull. I am using 2 12 v batteries located right on the hull with all of the electronics etc on a deck above the batteries with the main 12 v DC switch and 24 vDC switch under the engine room hatch. I think my electrics will be better than the build.

Regards,

Bruce

ZZ56

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:50:21 am »

I would measure from the top of the bulwarks to the rub rail on the outside, then transfer that to the inside with a piece of tape.  One measurement at the stern and two per side. 

steamshed

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:05:09 pm »

Hi Peter
Was just wondering how the build was coming along?
Anymore photos
Mike

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 05:58:11 pm »

Hi Steamshed,

I'm afraid its come to a complete stop at the moment. I got sidetracked and started doing some model engineering, and oil and sawdust just don't mix!  Got my mind into steam engines just now......  :embarrassed:

Regards and a Merry Christmas to All

Hope Santa brings you some nice Prezzies!!!

Grahamr

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:28 pm »

Hi,
I am reading your thread with interest. I received my 1st boat kit this Christmas - the MMM Portgarth. I'm wondering what I have let myself in for.
Rather different to building model aircraft as there appears to be no plans or instructions to work from.
I think that I'm going to need a bit of help.
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.