Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographing QM2  (Read 4551 times)

nsa66

Photographing QM2
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:00:34 pm »

I'm planning a trip to Hythe next Monday (on holiday in Dorset) to watch Queen Mary 2 leave Southampton. Does anyone have any idea what sort of lens would be needed to best capture the event? 

Cheers

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Photographing QM2
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:33 pm »

Get yourself along to the end of Hythe Pier. If at all possible you may be able to take a trip on the Hythe ferry while the QM2 departs.

The end of the pier is around 400m from the centre of the main shipping channel so you won't need a super zoom!

Colin

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:54:08 pm »

It really works well if the Sheildhall is going out on a run at the same time. Get a ride on her and photograph QM2, you get the best of all worlds.

John

nsa66

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:09:04 pm »

Cheers. Should be OK with my 40-200mm (80-400mm 35mm equivalent) then?

Not sure what Shieldhall's doing. No programme for July on their website. Was hoping for a Jurassic cruise from Weymouth but she doesn't seem to be visiting there this year which is unusual. Any idea why there's a gap in her schedule? Film work? Maintenance? Seems a bit odd at this time of year.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

Cheers. Should be OK with my 40-200mm (80-400mm 35mm equivalent) then?

Not sure what Shieldhall's doing. No programme for July on their website. Was hoping for a Jurassic cruise from Weymouth but she doesn't seem to be visiting there this year which is unusual. Any idea why there's a gap in her schedule? Film work? Maintenance? Seems a bit odd at this time of year.

Your 40 - 200 should work well.
  Don't about Sheildhall's current schedule though.

John

nsa66

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:00:13 pm »

Well, I made the trip to the end of Hythe Pier. Very blowy and my little travel tripod was not up to the task. Easier to hand-hold and brace aginst pier buildings, using high ISO for faster shutter speeds. Blew the haze away though!

Here are three views:

STARBOARD PROFILE - Taken whilst she was turning after coming astern from her berth.

STARBOARD BOW - Approaching the pier

STARBOARD QUARTER - Sailing away into the (near) sunset.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:08:18 pm »

Great photos, you've managed to almost make her look attractive! They really should have fitted her with a retractable funnel though.

Well worth the trip to get those pics.

Also, notice how the waterline is not level but curves up at the bow for aesthetic reasons.

Colin

nsa66

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 03:57:21 pm »

I think it's true to say that she's not a classical beauty!  

Within the constraints imposed by current technical and market demands, however, I think the designers have made a pretty good compromise. She is a product of her age and compared to many (most?) of her contemporaries she is a bit of a looker - even the stern (from some angles) is a valiant attempt to make the best of a tricky situation.

I'm sure that a little more cosmetic attention would have been worthwhile though. Folding/retracting mast extensions, with the right amount of rake, would make a world of difference to her appearance at little additional cost, except maybe to the sensibilities of the architects. Even sloping the black top of the funnel to make it parallel to the red section would be an improvement, though I think almost any amidships funnel is preferable to other, more practical arrangements (I never particularly liked the look of Canberra for that reason). I think the lack of genuine fore-and-aft sheer plays a big part in making her look less glamorous than her predecessors. Look at pictures of the former Caronia (ex Vistafjord) and you'll see what I mean.

All-in-all I think she's okay.

nsa66

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:21:16 pm »

What about these modifications at the next refit?  OK might need to bodge in a bit of ducting to shift the funnel forward but shouldn't be too big a deal.  ok2

Apologies for the rough photoshopping but if Cunard come asking I'll tidy it up a bit !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:29:37 pm »

The reason why the funnel is short in proportion is so that the ship can get under the bridge at the entrance to New York harbour so there doesn't seem to be any prospect of improving her appearance.

Colin

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:29:03 pm »

Stephen Payne is a customer of ours. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPv2TlyzH44. Would I lie to you all?
Would you like me to point him in the direction of this thread as feedback?  8)
FLJ
(My old headmaster always said that if you're going to drop a name make sure it's a big one and  in the right place.....)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »

I had heard that the QM2 is experiencing ongoing problems with her propulsion pods but I hadn't realised that a P94 might be viewed as the solution.....

The ship is a technical tour de force but the need to squeeze in all those tiers of balconies left no room for a proper chimney.

QM2 is a proper liner and not your standard cruise ship, cut off by the quarter mile or so, but, hard as I have tried, I find it difficult to warm to her exterior appearance although she is indeed a paragon when compared with the Norwegian Epic.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:13:59 pm »

I think that QM2 is the pick of the bunch as far as modern ships go. While she's not a patch on the QE2, or the old Queens, she at least looks like a ship. Perhaps the Cunard colours and rounded stern have something to do with that perception.

Peter.

karls

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »

Sorry but i think she looks like a car ferry ;)

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 10:29:11 pm »

Missed this thread earlier. Friends have a beach hut on Calshot Spit. The deep channel there brings ships very close inshore. A good viewing place.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

sailorboy61

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:02 pm »

I think it's true to say that she's not a classical beauty!  

Within the constraints imposed by current technical and market demands, however, I think the designers have made a pretty good compromise. She is a product of her age and compared to many (most?) of her contemporaries she is a bit of a looker - even the stern (from some angles) is a valiant attempt to make the best of a tricky situation.

I'm sure that a little more cosmetic attention would have been worthwhile though. Folding/retracting mast extensions, with the right amount of rake, would make a world of difference to her appearance at little additional cost, except maybe to the sensibilities of the architects. Even sloping the black top of the funnel to make it parallel to the red section would be an improvement, though I think almost any amidships funnel is preferable to other, more practical arrangements (I never particularly liked the look of Canberra for that reason). I think the lack of genuine fore-and-aft sheer plays a big part in making her look less glamorous than her predecessors. Look at pictures of the former Caronia (ex Vistafjord) and you'll see what I mean.

All-in-all I think she's okay.

agreed, not a beauty at all....just a bunch of floating balconies...but thats todays ship building for you!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.