Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunnel hulls  (Read 8333 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Tunnel hulls
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »

Hi just enquiring about any interest in f1 style tunnel hulls wether inboard or outboard for large nitro or petrol motors?.
Ive been approached by someone well respected abroad who designs builds and races these boats with a  view to manufacturing them under licence for him.
As soon as i get some pics of them ill post them up here along with some videos of them running and in fact racing.The hulls in question have undergone lots of testing and run very well even in choppy water so would be great fun in our waters.
Obviously the inboard setup would be cheaper to build as you could use standard motors and hardware,they also run better by all accounts.Let me know if anyone runs any or is interested in these boats.
Mart

bulldog1966

Re: Tunnel hulls
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:45:33 pm »

well done mate seen a lot of these on youtube there big good with petrol out board to look forward to seeing pics

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:46:26 pm »

Hope to have a bit more info and some pics tomorrow all been well.
Were just talking about it at the moment but we will see what happens.
Ive seen a few of his videos of them with zenoahs and big 50 cc homelite motors and they go absolutley fantastic.
Heres one of the bigger ones,no tuned pipe either but its still fast if a bit noisy lol  :o.
Good thing is they can be run with inboard or outboard.
Mart
http://www.youtube.com/user/bglatiff

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:07:46 pm »

Heres a few pics

Drkomen86

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:27:57 pm »

do you have any plans for this boat??

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:06 pm »

Yes i plan on manufacturing them probably by the end of the year or early next  ;).
Mart

Drkomen86

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 06:36:58 pm »

sorry I ment do you have the plans for the origional boat or a boat like it.
All it is I'm building a tunnel hull or 3 point hydro out of blue foam for a turbine project, can you help?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:47:34 pm »

Sorry no plans for these im awaiting the actual plug to make moulds etc.
Mart

Drkomen86

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:53:25 pm »

ok pal no problems

BJ

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »

f1 style tunnel hulls wether inboard or outboard for large nitro or petrol motors?.

Inboard Yes but what physical sizes will the hulls come out at?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:31 pm »

Inboard Yes but what physical sizes will the hulls come out at?

45" long 20.5" wide  :-)) last pic shows exact size with the designer,proven race winner and also proven in south africa also where these boats are popular.

Patternmaker

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 06:33:57 am »

I like that Mart, not an easy hull to mould and join. Should be great with a petrol engine I built a smaller version with a OS Max outboard some time ago, very fast but almost impossible not to take off and flip. I have a photo somewhere, post if I can find it. I look forward to seeing your hull.

Mick

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:07 am »

Hi Mick,
The guys been developing tunnels for many years both full size and models so his design is actually proven.Once set up they will run stable in wind and chop,its a balancing act as with any tunnel i supose and the top deck as well as the tunnel size and shape is what helps keep the boat on the water rather than taking flight.Of course as with any boat flips will happen but if your starting out with a design thats had lots of testing both alone and during races you have the basis of a good running boat.
 The designer is having one made up for me which he intends testing and showing videos to me ,he will then send the bare hull for me to make moulds off.Untill i actually see it close up i wont know the best way to go about that process but im exited about these boats as i think they look awesome and cant wait to actually try one out myself.Inboard will be the easier and cheapest option for people but i will also produce dummy outboards to hang on the back for that scale look on the water.I know outboards will be what the true purists would prefer to use and ill try and get some video and pics of that setup also.
Its early days yet and it will take time to get anything made up but talks are going well and i hope to have something to show later in the year or early next.
Mart

Patternmaker

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 09:50:20 am »

Hi Mart, absolutely right, they do look great and in my opinion they will become very popular for speed merchants, probably the next fastest from tethered hydroplanes. I look forward to your first moulding with interest.

Mick

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 02:29:54 pm »

Hi Mart, absolutely right, they do look great and in my opinion they will become very popular for speed merchants, probably the next fastest from tethered hydroplanes. I look forward to your first moulding with interest.

Mick
Thanks Mick your not the only one me too lol
Ive been toying with the idea of one for ages and this guy contacted me out of the blue as id been talking about them with him and others and turns out he designs them and raced full size boats some years ago,he tells me he was planning on building a full size hull but is still looking for some investors for that one.I can only imagine how much a real one would cost  :o.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 09:13:45 am »

After further talks with the designer of this hull i have been told this version is designed specifically for inboard setups.She will handle rough water and out perform most cats in said conditions and will turn a full 180 at full throttle with no problems.The South African champion is currently racing this hull and "he won the championships with one "and hes also manufacturing them under licence as i will be all been well.Just have a few things to iron out and we shall see if a deal can be worked out.
I will keep you informed cheers.
Mart

Patternmaker

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 09:25:16 am »

Hope it works out for you Mart.

Mick

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 10:33:31 am »

Thanks again Mick,
if im honest its not that i was looking really as id planned on building one myself eventually but this oportunity came along and sounds interesting so if things can be agreed then it will happen we shall see.Hopefully enough people will show an interest for it to be worthwile doing but i understand people will want to see one up and running first etc.
Mart

steamboatbob

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 06:11:07 am »

Mart

I would be heavily interested in one for an inboard setup but i think the size would be problematic a 26 inch hull would be more suited to myself if that could be arranged as i know you said previously that you are moulding them. if some sort of deal could be made to get a set of dxf files or pdf off you that would be great as they look fan bloody tastic

Cheers

Bob

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 08:49:28 am »

Hi Bob theres no plans for these at least none i will see, if i do build them it will be under licence but the way things are going with my own hulls at this time im thinking i might not be able to do this untill at least early next year.If you are interested in a smaller tunnel i have a friend who is actually designing and building a cpl of small FE tunnels ones 28 the other is 34" long.Ill pm you a link to his builds theyre boody loveley m8.Hes even designed a small outboard leg for brushless motors for them,hes had the first one made up ready for manufacturing them,they look cool too.
Mart

tmbc

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:27:50 pm »

hey martin
they look good maybe a new uk race series for them !!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 10:52:28 pm »

Yea sounds good to me  :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 11:26:26 pm »

hey martin
they look good maybe a new uk race series for them !!
Well the designer of the  smaller electric ones is doing one larger for a gas version so ill see what he can come up with,hes UK based so thats even better.He wants some moulds making for the smaller versions to market some of them ,he also has other hulls,and a new cat for twin outboards will post some pics later if hes ok with it.
Mart

Patternmaker

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 08:50:05 am »

Great Mart, I would be interested in large gas hull.
Regards Mick

wicked999

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 05:12:37 pm »

hi
i have a tunnel hull and wouldlike to race it but can find anywhere to race my tunnel is about 900mm long and has a 13cc k b outboard .
i see on your tunnels you have a cowling where can i get one from . that would finish my tunnel of real nice :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.