Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new modelling material?  (Read 2650 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
A new modelling material?
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:26:20 pm »

As I'm looking to sell my MG TF replica I recently bought the latest issue of "Kit Car" magazine, mainly to give me a guide on how much to ask for the car.
But browsing the magazine I came across an article about a product I've never heard of before. It's a revolutionary way of using fibreglass. No more buying yards of mat or tissue. No more guesing and buying tubs of resin and catalyst. No smell. All sounds too good to be true? Apparently not.
This glass mat is bought already impregnated (lovely word!) the absolutely correct amounts of both resin and catalyst.
And it cures only when exposed to UV light. Sunshine would do it, but using a UV lamp it will cure off and be usable within an hour.
I'd love to be able to post the article, but I guess I'd be infringing copyright or something.
Apart from the eye problems, my other reason for not wanting to build another hull is because I got really fed up with the hassle of the mess, stink, and general "nastiness" of the stuff. I don't mind making the "plug"...I quite enjoy that bit. But if this product is as good as reported I might, just might, give it a swing. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: A new modelling material?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »

What a fantastic find, well done Bryan! This has so many applications, and could for those wishing to make models in abundance provide the right opportunity- also, as you point out, for the one off hull it provides a far easier method of hull construction.

Do you know if you can multilayer it as normal too?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:02 am »

What a fantastic find, well done Bryan! This has so many applications, and could for those wishing to make models in abundance provide the right opportunity- also, as you point out, for the one off hull it provides a far easier method of hull construction.

Do you know if you can multilayer it as normal too?

Greg
According to the article you can multi-layer as the process is basically the same as for the "ordinary" stuff, but a huge leap forward in terms of ease of use etc.
I suppose I could e-mail the article to anyone interested....particularly as I have no personal or financial interest in the company apart from passing on the word re its availability...after all, the artile itself is a form of advertising. The article runs to 3 A4 sheets at 4mb each for clear readability. BY.

Watchleader

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »

After several tries over most of the morning, it appears the website for Curon is not available.!!!  <:(

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:23:34 pm »

"Watchleader"....I've had no real problems getting into the site, but there is so much more to it than I anticipated!
It would appear to me that the article I quoted is only touching on one aspect of the firms activities.
I think that sometime in the next couple of days I will telephone them (and possibly the magazine) to try and get some more information....unless someone beats me to it. BY.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:26:40 pm »

I get a holiday let company (www.hbp.co.uk) when I type on www.curon.co.uk.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

poddy

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 06:35:39 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »

I think the material Bryan is referring to was predominantly aimed at roof repairs and there are obviously  lot of firms which use it. I suppose the key question is 'can it be scaled down to modelling applications?'

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »

Just attempted to send you a copy of the article...hope it gets through! BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:30:40 pm »

Re "Curon", a quick update.
I've tried e-mailing the magazine to get permission to post the entire article on the forum....but no response whatsoever.
Tried the Company direct. Not interested. For such an apparently large and diverse outfit I really hope they aren't typical of British manufacturing companies. If they are then it's no wonder we as a country are going down the tubes.
I'll give it a couple of more tries, and if I get the same result then all I can do is to apologize to you all for wasting your time. Sorry. BY.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 08:48:29 pm »

many years ago I rang the Tyvek (disposable paper clothes and envelopes) people about some to make a kite with. They were curious to know how many TONS I wanted!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.