Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flexi Shaft Lubrication  (Read 2593 times)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Flexi Shaft Lubrication
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:09:45 am »

Hi there all.

With luck this won't get too much controversy going!! :D

What are you all using to lubricate your flex drive shafts please?

Interested to here of any failures you may have had and general experiences with oil / grease anything else you may have used.

Cheers,

Glenn

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flexi Shaft Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:52:48 am »

Hi glennb2006,

I have posted this before, but I use a copper tube with the bottom closed, which is hung on a nail. This is filled with normal engine oil. After a days sailing, I remove the flexi, wipe it and spray it with WD40. Then wipe it again and suspend it in the oil filled tube. When I re install it for a day at the pond, I just wipe it clean and spray with WD 40 again, then re fit it.

My first electric out board used to break a flexi every trip to the pond, because I did not know they should be removed and dried, and the instructions did not mention it. When I was told how to store them, I used this method, and have not had to replace one since.

Bob

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:47:15 pm »

Thanks Bob

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 02:12:47 pm »

I use sewing machine oil, available in a syringe type applicator, from Squires.  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:08:55 pm »

Plastic tube with ATF. Otherwise roughly same procedure as BobF with one extra, I pump grease into the strut and stuffing tube before putting it all together. Couple of pumps into a grease nipple attached to the stuffing tube every now and then during a days running.

omra85

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 08:54:54 pm »

Although its a pain, remove the flexi if you are not using the boat within 2 days.  I keep mine in a vertical tube, sealed at the bottom and filled with car engine oil.  When refitting, wipe off surplus thick oil and re-oil with light oil which has corrosion inhibitor.  I used to use 3-in-1 but have found 'Wilkinsons' light oil at 99p just as good.  As w3bby says a SMALL pump of grease into the transom tube keeps things rolling. I use a mixture of oil and grease as it's lighter. Keep a 1 - 2mm gap between the end bearing and the propnut to allow for the flexi "winding up".
Danny

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 01:03:52 am »

Ta. Boat off the water for a month just now due to rebuild. (Got bored and decided to replace the engine mounting rails).

Will give it a go when I get going again. Will try not to leave an oil slick on Sunderland's lake....

Glenn

BJ

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 12:15:52 pm »

K&B's recommendation for their Outboard engines is a mixture of 50% SAE20 (to SAE50) motor oil mixed with 50% STP. Their 3½cc engines are running at 25000rpm through almost a 90º bend and transmitting 1.3HP - quite arduous conditions.
BobF's "soaking tube" is good advice - I use something similar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.