Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuild question  (Read 2876 times)

john1951

Rebuild question
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »

Received my Dickie boat this morning, and set straight to work stripping it down ( filled half a carrier bag with all the unwanted bits !).
My question is I want to fit a 6V SLA Battery ; am I right in assuming it will fit in the water ballast box ?
If so, how the heck do I remove the top/lid, it's screwed and glued firmly in place ?
Or is there some other method of fitting this type of battery ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                         John

chingdevil

Re: Rebuild question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:59:14 pm »

That is where I put the battery in mine, I can not remember how I got the water tank apart, knowing me I might have ripped the lid off after removing the screws

Brian

mickyrubble

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:03:10 pm »

Hi, John,
 the way i cut the top of the ballast box was to use a 2mm or 3mm drill  bit  and set your drill on a slow speed ( so the plastic wont melt around the bit).Drill a series of holes a few millimetres in from the top edge and as close as you can .When finished use the same drill bit and gently push the drill side ways and the bit will ' router' out and join up the holes.
Take your time and if the bit becomes clogged with plastic use pliers to carefully remove. 
When  you have removed the scrap top piece the rough edges of the can be sanded back (i  used the drum sander on my dremel ) and i fitted plasticard plates over the water intakes.
I found that a 6 volt 4 amp sealed lead acid  is a perfect fit in ' ex ballast box'.Hope this is of some use to you.
Mickyrubble
 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

john1951

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:01:16 am »

Excellent guy's, thanks very much for your advice !
                                                                      John

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:35:59 pm »

Just a brief comment on applying sideways pressure to small diameter bits.

It is dangerous! If you must do it make sure you are only engaging that part of the bit which is as close to the jaws of the chuck as possible.

Buying a very small router bit and using it in a hand drill is much safer as they are designed to take lateral pressure.

Roger in France

mickyrubble

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 03:52:57 pm »

Hi Roger,
 thanks for pointing that out ,but i find that router bits tend to clogg up very easily on plastic as they are really meant for wood.The type and thickness of the material in a seaport tug lends itself very well to this method of cutting,as long as you take your time  and DO NOT FORCE the  drill bit,and don't use a bit that is any smaller.
As with any aspect of using power tools ,safety is paramount at all times
 :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

billa65t

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »

Hi John,
             Once you take the screws out you can just go round the edge of the ballest box with a sharp knife and that will break the seal ( havn't had any trouble with the 4 i have done ) Also if you want to keep the ballest box so you can use the water cannon a 6v sla will also sit ontop of the ballest box and so will a 12 sla of the same size (540 motor 2:1 reduction gearbox)
Regards Bill :-)) 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.