Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for.............  (Read 2162 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for.............
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:24:08 pm »

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for.............
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:44:02 pm »

if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »

You ARE a naughty boy Portside, stop polishing your naked eye NOW ! >:-o
..well can you land on this?

karls

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:14:13 am »

Cant do it im busy {-) {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:37:54 pm »

If yhe planet Mars suddenly looks as large as a Full Moon then the chances of this Forum (and everything else we hold dear) continuing will be forever los
Notes from a simple seaman

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

We really are doomed to hear this c74p forever, aren't we?  %)

Incidentally, in the real world, Jupiter is particularly fantastic these weeks. It's the birght thing high in the sky just before midnight - and its moon's and cloud belt looks fab in my Celestron last-Christmas pressie.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:44:53 pm »

Where on earth did this garbage originate from? I appreciate that everyone has "moments", but to suddenly announce that Mars has left its orbit and becoming a thinking entity that's decided to attack Earth strikes me as being the ramblings of someone who needs a bit of not so friendly counselling. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:09:34 am »

Daz, are you sure you meant Mars? - not just a "Topic" for discussion then!  ok2

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 10:54:12 am »

Before spreading these garbage emails around, I do wish people would learn to use google.  Just letting it search for "mars brightest hoax" finds pages of links, near the top is http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp  with the exact email text included.  It is also possible to scroll down the page for the full explanation.  http://www.hoax-slayer.com/mars-earth-close.html  is worth a look as well.
It is a fact that the planets have slightly elliptical orbits.  It is also a fact that since they all circulate at differing speeds, the actual distance between them varies.  The fact that the actual event referred to happened several years ago, and was nothing like the effect claimed by the perpetrator of the hoax, since it would have been widely noted at the time, should have stopped it in its tracks years ago. 
Unfortunately there are many people out there who would rather believe everything they are told and pass it on rather than do a very basic check.
When I was learning about computery things, one principle that was pushed was "GIGO", or "Garbage in, Garbage out", meaning that if faulty data was provided, the answer would also be rubbish.  The truth was that it really meant "Garbage in, Gospel out", because once it was processed and printed out in black and white, it was suddenly authoritative and true.  The tabloids have been aware of this for a great many years, and great fortunes have been made as a result from the peddling of unsubstantiated drivel.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »

RANT:

I am greatly heartened by the rapid and informed response on this board to the distribution of this kind of misinformation.

I see the correction and suppression of this sort of thing as particularly important for the well-being of society on general. It is a truism that people get the kind of government they deserve - people en-mass persist in believing things they are told that conform to their prejudices, with no attempt to check or understand the implications of what they are told. This means that sensible political (and all other kinds of) discussions are suppressed in favour of sound-bite knee-jerk emotional appeals from a demogogue.

If only people can be encouraged, under all circumstances, to think before speaking or acting, much of our society could be improved greatly....

/RANT

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:33 pm »

That's no rant, Dodgy, just utter common sense:-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.