Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prize Budgies killed and stolen in Cornwall.  (Read 2806 times)

tony52

Prize Budgies killed and stolen in Cornwall.
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:33:37 pm »

I realise this has nothing to do with model boats, but this news item is upsetting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-11236999

My daughter owns a budgerigar, a blue opaline called Peter (not a show bird). They make wonderful pets and this is why I found this so distressing.

Anyone else own one?
Tony

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Prize Budgies killed and stolen in Cornwall.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:05:42 pm »

I have had a few over the years, and yes, they are wonderful little characters (especially one that a mate gave me many, many years ago, called Skippy, that was very hand-tame and wanted to share.  He had a liking for MY fried egg yolk.)
I suspect the hand of "professional" bird show folk here, since these were champion show birds.  I do hope they get caught, and I also hope they get a judge and jury who are all animal lovers.  I'm not normally up there with animal rights, but in the case of these misbegotten *a**a**s I would cheerfully shove them into a mincer.  Feet first, so they could fully appreciate it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Rex Hunt

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:40:22 am »

Dangerous activity this Budgie Jumping!

sorry bad taste

Rex

Wasyl

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:28:36 am »

Dangerous activity this Budgie Jumping!

sorry bad taste

Rex
Budgie Jumping,... Bad taste????Not from where i,m sitting,. {-) {-).it took a second or two for the penny to drop,..but when it did, {-) {-) {-)..and anyway,there,s millions of the little blighters in Oz,

Wullie

PMK

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:43:00 am »

I'm with MalcolmFrary on this one. Definitely feet first in the mincer.

Wasyl

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:54:22 am »

Joking aside,Its the same old Story,only those who are into the hobby,do the dark deeds,the same goes for those who steal models,or any other hobby, sport or whatever,
A friend of mine has a 37ft boat at a Marina in Newcastle,and although he pays good money to have a secure berth,.one night some thieving B*****d,stole his Garmin from the mast and a life raft,..these items are only useful to anyone who has a boat,,,but there is an added problem now that the country is choc full of foreign nationals who think nothing of rounding up a flock of Swans,"when they were in their flightless mode"on the Norfolk Broads and elsewhere,and using them as food,its happening more and more up here,just the other week some Romanians were caught with a bag full of "blackbirds thrushes,songbirds,etc, etc,,when caught they said,Oh,we eat them in our country,and just last week in London, some, again Romanians were found camping rurally and dinner for them was roasted Rats,..these I don,t mind,

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

stole his Garmin from the mast and a life raft,..these items are only useful to anyone who has a boat

Doesn't mean a boater stole them, they usually end up in marine car boot sales and the like.

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:26:58 pm »

Well,if they end up in a Marine Car boot sale,..a boater is going to buy them,...or perhaps the Garmin can fit on the roof of a car,and the life raft,could be used in places of flooding, <*<

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:58:52 pm »

Well,if they end up in a Marine Car boot sale,..a boater is going to buy them

Obviously! But you rather implied they must have been stolen by a boater which isn't necessarily the case. Most full size boaters are decent types just like model boaters - they still get preyed on by the low lifes though.

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 02:54:58 pm »

I possibly did Colin,but the implications were at the time,that it was quite likely another boater,

Wullie

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »

Well no doubt you were all sad to see that the prime suspect in a major motorcycle theft case (the watching fuzz weren't allowed to chase them, as they rode off the stolen bikes without helmets, and they might have hurt them selves if they fell off while being chased) - deep breath - has just died of head injuries after riding a stolen kwacker 450 into a van. He wasn't wearing a helmet. The motorcycling community is quite overcome by grief (or something!)

tony52

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:35 am »

Hi,

Another Budgie in the news. This one dropped from a seagull's mouth, in Lerwick. Item from Mondays Metro News.

Malcolm - I think you will will find this one interesting, having owned a pet budgie in the past.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/840837-hungry-seagull-drops-budgie-on-passer-bys-head

Tony

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:47:18 am »

Heartwarming - just a pity that newspaper staff seem to have universal ignorance as a job qualification so that they can ensure they muck up any story they get.  Although, as stated in the article, budgies are from Australia, the vast majority of pet ones over here are native to here through many generations.  Provided that they can find food, they can be tough little survivors, but the bright colouring of a single escapee is a very tempting target for investigation by a predatory opportunist, such as a seagull.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.