Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post locking  (Read 1618 times)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Post locking
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:51:00 am »

Bout time some of the moderators started using their "Powers" with a bit more consideration and PMing members who overstep rather than clomping on others points of views. Many have left the forum due to this in the past. The individual threads may be moderated and we shouldn't really need to be told to temper our language, but to kill a subject cos some can't behave properly is censorship in its lowest form, especially when ones own point of view is posted before doing so.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

barryfoote

Re: Post locking
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

Ian,

Whilst I agree with your comment in principal, you have to consider that being a Moderator is not an easy job. They are not on-line, full time, keeping an eye on things and so on many occasions they have to act quickly if they see something developing that could cause serious offence or even breach the law of the land. This does mean that sometimes topics get dealt with in what may appear to be a harsh way.

Not everything in life is perfect, moderating being one of them...

Best wishes,

Barry

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:28 am »

Having been a Moderator I'm afraid that PM'ing doesn't always work in instances like this. Frequently it provokes further personal abuse towards the moderator and goes further downhill behind the scenes which creates more suspicion. Best to keep things above board in most cases. Personally I think that sustained intemperate language is good reason to lock a thread as things rarely improve when it gets to that stage.

Colin

wbeedie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:52:01 am »

Perhaps locking a topic on a temporary basis is beter than nowt ,gives members a chance to cool down ,this is what a forum I am a moderator on does and seems to work, either that or a temporwry restriction on privilidges ie putting the offender into a group of their own where they cant post for a day or so also helps in some matters and acts as a friendly warning

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

Sorry, PMing ALWAYS works as the mods have the ability to impose a "Strike out" on any member. At least on this forum, the mods have the courtesy to inform us.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 02:23:45 pm »

Thanks Barry, Colin & Circlip, nothing further to add.

We do welcome "free speech" but try to act in everyone best interests  -  Model boat Mayhem is family friendly place!
 ( NB. Personally I also heavily frown on simulated "@#&%$£ xxxxx" swearing! )

Please see:   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11159.msg143374#msg143374
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.