Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: wee nip modifications !  (Read 18064 times)

triumphjon

wee nip modifications !
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:52:27 pm »

ive bought the kit of pre cut wood , downloaded the plans and started the biuld , instead of laminating THREE  peices of 1/8 lite ply together ive used the centre core & biult up the profile useing fibreglass matt & resin . ive thought of moulding the rudder & centre keel for future spares if theres enough interest ?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: wee nip modifications !
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 11:07:20 am »

Interesting.... where's the pictures?  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

brianc

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 11:17:10 am »

We have a Wee Nip Meet every month and the record so far is 18 Nips racing against each other.
It`s becoming more and more popular around the West of Scotland clubs :-))
It`s a cracking little boat to build and sail,and I`m sure you`ll have great fun with her.
I`ll ask at the club tomorrow if there is any interest in the parts :-))

Check out  [url http://sites.google.com/site/theweenip/Home[/url] for some pics.

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:22:06 pm »

no pics yet sorry folks ! im also toying with the idea of moulding the hull as i need to make another four for family members ! i find grp a little more forgiving if its dropped !

Dekan

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:30:41 pm »

Anybody south of the border built one ? :}

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 09:49:43 pm »

im possibly as far south as you could be , im in portsmouth , hampshire ! 1 nip is in the state of biult hull , the keel & rudder have been coated in grp matt and resin & im about to start making a mould of it all ! ive decided that as i want three or four of them for our family use they would be more robust in grp !

Dekan

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:25:52 am »

I looked at the Wee Nip... but the hull construction put me off

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:20 pm »

ive used the traplet kit of wood parts as a basis , but i must admit it was a pig to glue together as there are no bulkheads ! however as i origanally wanted a few of them ive been looking into useing the one ive made to make a mould for a grp one instead ? pm if your interested . jon 

Dekan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 08:21:01 pm »

I'm building a wood kit for a friend.The biggest problem I have is all the laser cut edges are covered in soot.

The plan is not accurate,the side view is slightly bigger than the plan view... I had to make a new transom as the supplied part is too small on the deck edge.

Dekan

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 06:12:37 pm »

Well after a bit of a struggle, I have got the Hull together it's not as easy as it looks in the Dvd :((.... I hate bending lite ply...

The first thing that threw me was the amount of curvature that is induced across the deck, when you pull the bottom of the sides into fit the the hull bottom, but I looked at the footage on the Dvd and it seem to be normal...

I am using a 8mm carbon tube for a mast...How much clearance does there have to be in order for the mast to swing properly? The mast has several holes to adjust it's position realistically which ones are used, and does the mast have to be vertical? Am I going to have to enlarge the holes at the base the mast so it can be angled back?

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 09:40:38 pm »

sorry ive been off line for the last week , i built mine with out the plan set on paper as its a download to my computer ! i didnt have the dvd either ! but mine is now on the water . i made my gooseneck from a lump of scrap pine , drilled as per the mast/sail plan pic , my girlfreind has sewn a sail from ripstop nylon ( i supplied her with ) which was made to fit around the mast and boom , my first attempt was too steep , so a second gooseneck was fabricated , im using a plastic food pot for my rx/ battery thats in the deck between the keel box and the hull side which stands approx 19 mm from the deck , the boom passes the pot at 22mm from the deck at its closest point and tapers up to 82mm at its highest point . following advise from the glasgow & richmond club they recomend just using the central hole to position the mast , ive then blanked the other five off to prevent water ingress . this has so far been sucsessful !

Dekan

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:04:00 pm »

triumphjon, I have still got to make my goose neck..I'm thinking of building mine out of  8mm ID carbon tube and some glass fibre PCB board to support the boom.

My sail will be 50micron drafting film... Im looking at using some form of pot/battery holder to save removing the deck patch in order to charge the battery.

What did you make the bow bumper out of ? Did you make the keel bulb asper plan

triumphjon

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 12:32:03 am »

my radio pot is a small food storage pot from poundland ( set of 3 or 4 ) 50mm deep 90mm outer diameter with a screw top lid , ive craved the goose neck from a section of pine , use a slideing fit over the mast as it needs to rotate freely & a snug fit for the boom . as for the bow bumper ive not got one ! ive no plans to be racing as i cant be arsed with the arguments that are a commonplace with the racing folks ! the lead bulb i made by using sheet , i shaped the first peice into a wooden mould then heated more lead up & melted it into what i had already , repeated twice for the two halves , drilled them both through the keel fin then bolted the whole thing together with a couple of stainless steel bolts . it was then smoothed down & any imperfections filled with resin . my mast is a length of 8mm od aluminium tube cut to size ( £ 3.50 from b&q , if making both the mast & boom you will need two lengths ) i used a peice of dowel for my boom instead as it was in my scrap box !

Dekan

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 02:41:06 pm »

My mast will be 8mm OD CF tube with 5mm OD CF tube for the boom...I'm not sure where I would get stainless steel nuts and bolts from..... I will have to look in B&Q and check out their ali tubing..What department is it in?

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 08:36:30 pm »

ours is near to where the rope & general ironmongery is , stainless steel bolts ive not found in a b&q , being on an island surrounded by salt water our local nut n bolt shop sells stainless fixings for a lot less than the marine shops do !

Dekan

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 10:30:42 pm »

My local "ironmonger" wouldn't know what stainless steel is.... let alone stock any nuts and bolts made of it!

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:02 pm »

where are you based ?

Dekan

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 09:41:32 am »

South London

Timo2

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 09:52:34 am »

Hi Dekan
               Try a Google for      : -   Fasteners ( postcode )   

timo2

P.S.      in the wilds of Glasgow i googled over 20 stockists      :-))

Dekan

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 12:17:30 pm »

I found one http://www.boltit.co.uk/ but no A2 M3 washers ......

Timo2

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 01:57:31 pm »

hi

Hove ?     South London ?  or south of London

Timo2

Try        http://www.londonstainless.com/

Dekan

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »

Thanks Timo...I have order some M3 nuts and bolts from Boltit to hold the keel blade on.

I can use a fibre washer saturated with CA to protect the deck from damage by the keel bolt head...

triumphjon

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 06:42:42 pm »

if by ca you mean cyno adhesive then it disolves with water ! the shop here is called cp fastners  which is southsea , portsmouth .

Dekan

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

Ok....No CA :o

triumphjon

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:33 pm »

i glassed my keel bolt into the keel so the stud protrudes through the deck , then secured the keel into the boat with a stainless steel washer & stainless steel plain nut ( i need to use stainless as all of the water around here is salty or just salt ! ) having said that i dont remove my keel either , just remove the mast / sail for transport and storage , my sail control cord has a removable quick link so i can disconnect it from the boom   it was bought from a kite store . my deck covering patches are clear vynal that it used in the graphics shop ( the stuff they make stickers for signs from ) after i varnished my hull / deck & installed the servos etc i cut the oversized patches and stuck them onto the deck ! jon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.