Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: wee nip modifications !  (Read 18063 times)

Dekan

Re: wee nip modifications !
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 02:14:15 pm »

I have ordered the stainless bolts... but my local model shop stocks them for cars and helicopters :} but no washers :(( I must go into B&Q and get some Fablon

triumphjon

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 08:38:01 pm »

wilkinsons also sell fablon and nuts n bolts !

Dekan

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 10:59:38 pm »

There's a small Wilkinson store about a mile a way from where I work.... but the usually story nowhere to park :((

triumphjon

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 11:22:55 pm »

i know that story , parking can be a nightmare here too . ive taken to walking or cycling , if i visit my local model shop as its only about a mile and a half from home ! hows the build progressing ?

Dekan

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 05:33:11 pm »

It's progressing very slowly at the moment. The hull is pretty well done...I have ordered some stainless nuts and bolt.. I bought some 3mm brass rod and 3mm id brass tube for the rudder yesterday.

I may have a rudder arm that will fit, so I should be able to get on with the rudder this week...

My friend has ordered a Graupner Saphir  keel weight, it's a little over weight at 1.4kg...1.2Kg recommended...But it may do the trick..I still have to sort out the mast and sail

I will try to take some pictures at the weekend..

triumphjon

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

sounds like its getting there , are you making one for yourself at the same time ? mine has been sailed several times and seems to handle some of the rough conditions very well . Although i had a little mishap returning from the lake last night , having to swerve out of the way of somebody , the yatch was overhanging the side of my carrier and collided with a steel post ! Result one wee wee nip ! ! as it broke the first 6" from the bows . so in repairing it ive now put more radius between the hull sides and the bottom sheet , ive also tried to improve the flat bow block by sanding away the edges .   Weather permitting there is a sailing get together next saturday at the lake so hopefully i will be able to see if its any better ?  jon

Dekan

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 11:07:49 pm »

Jon, I making it for my friend as his eye sight is not that great..I don't really need another yacht,at the moment, as I have a Victoria and a Racing Micro Magic.. I might make some thing similar, but I would make the hull easier to build and remove the forward deck hole. Theres a Oz web site with some good ideas  http://weenipsbayside.yolasite.com/about-us.php

triumphjon

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 09:28:10 pm »

thats an interesting site , a nip with two sails looks very interesting , ive just emailed them for further information on the set up will pass onto you if / when it arrives ! speaking of magics theres a group of gents down here who have several and are looking to race , they have an informal meeting this saturday morning down at the lake weather permitting ! im looking to attend hopefully with the nip if its repaired in time and my seawind .

Dekan

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »

How do you like the Seawind? Any problems with the hatch?

triumphjon

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 10:43:06 pm »

seawind is fine , now ive stopped the water ingress , it was the usual hatch bending , ive replaced it with a 6mm clear perspex hatch , ive fitted a rubber d profile seal onto the deck appeture , and fitted 5 m4 x35mm stainless steel nuts n bolts through the deck (sealed with some silicon sealant ) the hatch now seals using some m4 wing nuts ! ive had to rebuild the keel as it looked as if the shark had been to lunch , and my rudder has been coated with grp after i dropped the model trying to load it onto my carrier , it landed rudder first & snapped ! ! the nip is having the resin n matt treatment this week , resin is taking a little longer to set due to the cold weather . having looked at the sail plan shown for fitting a jib sail , i may have to move the mast back to the first point after the keel box in order to get enough clearance for the jib boom ! jon

bikemec

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 07:24:59 pm »

I've had a WeeNip for a few years now and have done a few modifications so that some doubt it is a nip any more.

When I first built it I used the sail plan etc on the plans, the mast was a carbon tube from a crashed kite this proved to flexible the top of the mast could bend until it was in front of the bows, I decided something stiffer was needed and luck came along with a load of old arrows that work were throwing out alloy shaft that just fitted over the carbon mast. at the same time I found out a bit of history and that the wee nip was built to meet the Strathclyde 70 rules this class allowed more than one sail so I made a Bermuda rig that met th max sail area. I also installed a sail winch can't remember which one but it is allowed.

I sailed the boat quite happily for a while and they will sail in rough conditions but I did launch it in to 4' swell it handled well until I lost rudder control but she in a series of circles headed off to the nearest headland where I picked her up about 1 mile sailed with the radio switched off in the back of the car when recovered the rudder arm had bent and jammed over the servo arm.

I've now extended the mast a bit more and made bigger sails the Jib is still too big and can over power the rudder. I hope to build a new one and will stick to the rules this time and hope to get a neighbour involved too,

triumphjon

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 09:02:13 pm »

ive managed only to find a sail plan for the mk2 nip form one of the australian clubs , its showing a jib of 250mm and boom of 300mm , with the mast in its original postion the tip of the jib is beyond the bow of the hull ? ehile looking at the gallery of the pacific harbour yacht club they have a shot of a mk2 nip rigged with both sails that puts the mast at fractionally in front of the keel box , it also shows propper rigging lines and stays ! the lake im using has winds that blow in circles around the lake .

bikemec

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 08:18:11 am »

When I had the carbon mast I played with stays, at one point I had four including one from a mast head to the stern,

the heavier mast has made a big difference I wish I'd taken more photos of it during each stage of the modifications

Dekan

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »

As I'm building for a friend... I intend it to build it pretty much as designed...I'm waiting for a keel bulb at the moment... >:-o

triumphjon

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 04:42:06 pm »

keel bulb was easy , got some sheet lead , beat the outer layer into a wooden mould , then melted strips into the hollow using my blow lamp ! i only needed a pound of lead .

Dekan

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 08:03:55 pm »

No blow lamp.... I live in a Flat..... so no garden..I don't like handling lead if I can avoid it....Oh and the weather is Cr*p...

triumphjon

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 09:31:10 pm »

ive the same living problem , live in a first floor flat , hence any model needs to be within 3ft long and managable down a flight of stairs ! no garden or shed AND  i do all of my building work in our front room  except for grp resin work which gets done on the balcony ! so i know how you feel , however my blow lamp is of the small gas soldering type , if i remove the catalyst head it will provide me with a flame . my keel bulb took around half an hour to "cast "  a little time to file smooth before it was bolted through the fin and coated in resin .
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 19 queries.