Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eden model subs  (Read 7582 times)

Patrick Henry

Eden model subs
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:15:30 am »

Having just bought an Eden(now Sheerline)DSRV/mini sub/yellow sub, call it what you will, I'm on the hunt for pics, plans, drawings, instructions and information of what these boats looked like when first built.

Any scrap of information would be most gratefully received...

Thanks,

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Eden model subs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »

The yellow peril-

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »

What a man...where do you find this stuff, Andy?

Are those Nick Burge's boats?

Thanks mate,

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:45 pm »

Well those two shots I took myself about four years ago at the penultimate Sandown show (RIP). Those three models belonged to the late Nick Burge, a chap purchased a lot of his old models from his widow.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:36:44 pm »

Thought I recognised the steam one.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:38:47 pm »

I don't think it looks like any DSRV I've seen. However it's definitely got the makings of a small submersible type craft.

Here's another link which has lots of good information

www.psubs.org

This is a website for people who build their own personal submarines- so there are people crazier than us out there.

I really like this boat- how cute is this?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:10:04 pm »

Now that's neat...I'd never fit in it, but's neat nevertheless.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »

It's only 8ft long, tiny little boat.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 09:23:52 pm »

U-117 was eight feet long...perhaps I should have called that a 'personal sub'.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 09:45:47 pm »

I think you might as well get in it when they get at big!

Personally, a model four feet or under, or one that can be split into sections for easy transportation is my preference.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 07:48:54 am »

Anybody else with any little snippets of information for me? Pics...drawings/plans etc?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:14:33 am »

Just seen this, been off here for a while so although late in coming, the information is as follows;

The DSRV was designed and built by Dennis Cater, formerly of Eden Models. If the dive unit has an anchor moulding stuck to the top of the dive unit then it's one of my kits as I produced them for a while, otherwise it will bear a small badge which says 'EDEN' It is not a scale model of any particular boat but was simply built as a DSRV lookalike and provided the builder with a  basic submersible craft which he could expand with his own additional details such as working lights, railings, colours and markings etc. It uses a dive unit which is more or less identical to that fitted to the Akula model. It was a very good working boat, highly visible of course and very maneouverable
 It has not been produced for some time now and it was/is my intention to resurrect it but only after I have made a few design changes, the biggest problem being time so there will be little or no movement on this until I can get at it. There are no drawings or plans for it, instructions were a bit sparse and the whole construction of this boat is more or less in my head rather than on paper.

The 'Extreme' was a venture which didn't really take off. Dennis and Nick colluded on this one and what resulted was a kind of Akula based boat with no tower and additional large fins. I believe there may only be a couple of these things out there, one of them being the one in the picture. One was definately built as a dynamic diver, I'm not sure about the  one shown here. Again, as I bought the business from Dennis, this all came with it but we agreed at the outset to leave the only remaining complete 'Extreme' boat with Nick.. and here it is.

As for the other sub in the picture, I this was Nicks steam turbine boat.. and of course it worked! Beyond that there is nothing I can add.

I hope this helps fill in with a bit of history.

Chris

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:28:09 am »

That's great Chris, a very interesting answer...thanks so much for that. Mine is one of yours, Andyn bought it from ebay and I bought it from him...he's gone all Russian now.

Thanks again,

Rich

CPC

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 07:04:21 pm »

Just seen this, been off here for a while so although late in coming, the information is as follows;

The 'Extreme' was a venture which didn't really take off. Dennis and Nick colluded on this one and what resulted was a kind of Akula based boat with no tower and additional large fins. I believe there may only be a couple of these things out there, one of them being the one in the picture. One was definitely built as a dynamic diver, I'm not sure about the  one shown here. Again, as I bought the business from Dennis, this all came with it but we agreed at the outset to leave the only remaining complete 'Extreme' boat with Nick.. and here it is.
 I hope this helps fill in with a bit of history.

Chris

An old posting I know, but came across this as you do while searching out sub stuff.

Well, the Extreme is alive and well and I had it out running this summer! It is in dynamic dive set-up but I remember Nick telling me it was overkill for a static dive set-up as it performed well dynamically. He wasn't wrong.

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 06:37:07 pm »

An old posting I know, but came across this as you do while searching out sub stuff.

Well, the Extreme is alive and well and I had it out running this summer! It is in dynamic dive set-up but I remember Nick telling me it was overkill for a static dive set-up as it performed well dynamically. He wasn't wrong.

Need pictures! Would enjoy seeing more about it.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.