Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Railways  (Read 29752 times)

adam_goodin

Re: Model Railways
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 01:45:48 pm »

Ah sorry Geoff...

Im not dismantling anything, nor am I getting rid of any of my current Rolling stock.

This will be a completely seperate project, really just to see if it is do-able! After a recent visit to WDW Florida, I've had this idea stuck in my mind. !

Cheers  :D

Adam.

knoby

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 02:34:46 pm »

After a stroke my father couldnt continue model boating , so he built 00 gauge railway instead. i know it wont win any prizes, but i thought it wasnt a bad effort for a man whos registered blind & has a guide dog  :-))

pugwash

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 03:13:21 pm »

Knoby looks pretty good to me,  any more photographs as I used to really enjoy model railwails especially
the period this one is set.
Geoff

rathikrishna

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 06:55:49 am »

Good morning Friends..i got this posting accidently..it is too nice..and informative..may i clear a doubt from here..?  i was making all of my rails from thick paper. but now i am facing some serious problem with this..first one is loss of traction..because of the smoothness of the paper surface wheels of my locos slips off..especialy at turnings..and secondly after a few hours of usage the table surface of the paper rail starts to rip a lots...so it will be a waste effort...so can anyone suggest a material for rails, yes i do not have any model shops here to get things for it..but some handy alternate..?  advice..? 

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 02:05:06 pm »

The real thing uses metal rails for a good reason.  What size are you working in?  I tended to the smaller scales where ready-made track sections were readily available, but reading about such things in old books when there wasn't much for any hobby, much use was made of any metal strip that could be soldered to brass nails.  This technique is still in use, but nowadays, with a model trade being available, the preferred material for building your own track is extruded rail in nickel silver or bronze, either soldered to sleepers made from printed circuit board strips directly, or fitted with chairs that get soldered to the copper clad strips.
The original tramways didn't use much metal - the trucks ran on the stone road surface, and were guided by baulks of timber laid each side of where the wheels were to run.  Flanged wheels only became useful after metal rails became possible.  I assume that your are self powered, not needing to pick current up from the rails as in most model railways.  It might be possible to harden the card rails by soaking them with well thinned epoxy.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tjones27

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

Hi,
so its not just me then that has more than one hobby. thank goodness for that. i thought i was doing something wrong not concentrating on just the one. im in the middle of building a rather large Marklin Z scale layout at the moment. its not that big. but its big enough for me. altough at the same time its very small. :) Z is defiantely the way forwards :)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 02:06:22 am »

Are any of you on here members of the www.Newrailwaymodellers.co.uk forum? Well worth a look and not too stuffy like some other Model railway forums,  a lot like MBM but with trains lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

rathikrishna

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 08:04:22 am »

Thank you Friends..Sir, actualy i do not have any idea of the scales used in railway models. but i made it all in scale, to me its 1:35th, as i compare my rail models with my finished boats and tanks. for an example, a WDM engine lengths in to a 2 feet, and 6 inches wide..its all self powered rc controlled by toy rcs, works nicely, but my rails are not good enough...so i am trying to make somee good things..here i do not have any model outlets..so i have to try myself...thanks for the great advices and links..have a nice time you all..keep working on models..

malcolmmac

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

I am new to the Forum and see I am not the only one to dabble in railways and boats.

On scrolling through this subject I note a few members expressing an interest in narrow gauge railways.  I have found the forum ngrm-online.com to be filled with very helpful and friendly people.  Some layouts even have boats in the harbours.  What  more could you ask for?

Malcolmmac

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 02:45:15 pm »

Just picked up a job lot of Märklin, Kibri and Faller Z gauge stuff from a Finnish auction site

wartsilaone

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 02:58:38 pm »

Hi rathikrishna. 1:35 scale is very close to Gauge 1. May i suggest getting some gauge 1 track from an online retailer. There are a few makes available but all should be 45mm between the rails. Is this a similar size to your paper track?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 03:29:20 pm »

Here's an 0n30 module I've been working on.

John

wartsilaone

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 08:48:58 pm »

very nice! I'm more of a standard gauge fan and I do like the big American diesels like the EMDs and GE dash 9s. You say it's a module. Dose this mean more parts can be added later?

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:55 pm »

very nice! I'm more of a standard gauge fan and I do like the big American diesels like the EMDs and GE dash 9s. You say it's a module. Dose this mean more parts can be added later?

There are three of us built five modules that go together. The other chaps built two each, I did one.  They'll be going together for their first show this weekend.

John

You're more into this type of stuff:

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 10:56:10 pm »

Very nice oldiron. I like the look of the big American diesels too but, due to lack of
    space, limited to 009 narrow gauge.  Just at the planning stage and collecting loco's,
    bits and pieces etc at present.

Alan.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 11:37:42 pm »

Very nice oldiron. I like the look of the big American diesels too but, due to lack of
    space, limited to 009 narrow gauge.  Just at the planning stage and collecting loco's,
    bits and pieces etc at present.

Thanks very much.
   I have a number of big diesel models, but my passion is steam from anywhere.

here's another narrow gauge ( 0n30) micro layout I built a couple of years ago. It was on display in a local  hobby store window for less than a week and someone came in and bought it.

John

Jack.H

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 05:45:31 pm »

I agree with liking electric train tracks, the track you are showing me does not look real but it does look very effictive
Jack.H

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09:55 pm »

I agree with liking electric train tracks, the track you are showing me does not look real but it does look very effictive
Jack.H

We'll just have to try harder then.

John

Jack.H

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »

just kidding it looks gr8

Jack.H

p.s im only 9

Dazzler

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 06:27:22 pm »

Great to see some model railways on here,this is one of my favourites........I just wish it was mine! :o  :-))
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13639&start=0

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

http://www.satanicmill.cd2.com/

you should see this one then

I wonder what the client paid for it, took 6 months to build, 12 hours a day 6 day weeks

thelegos

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011, 09:33:06 pm »

My Hornby Dublo, mostly 3-rail from the 1950's. I built the layout for an exhibition, the layput picture is a digital photo of an old 35mm. It shows the last time we got it out at Christmas over 10 years ago! Designed to look and feel like the old catalogue illustrations with electric signals and points and the electric mail baggage car.
I've still got it all, the loco's are in a display on the wall along with other odds and ends such as Dublo Dinky toys and Mastermodel accessories which were manufactures around the same time. The baseboard is in the spare bedroom!!

I guess it's all our 'boys toys', I've loved and hoarded models and old toys for 40 years as did my dad. Must be genetic, perhaps it's time to run it again this year  :-)

Roger

brianB6

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 01:05:53 am »

Ah! those were the days. O0
I can still remember a group of us setting up a combined Hornby Dublo layout for the school open day.   We had a model railway club that used to meet at lunchtime in one of the classrooms to talk models and watch films of full size ones.
All I have left of Hornby is a Bristol Castle, converted to 2 rail, that I used to run on a groups layout in the late 1980's
The Wessex group started in 1971 to run a model railway as it should be run:- timetables, fast clock and authentic Bell Codes.   It is still in operation in only its second home but is to far away from me now.  <:(

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 08:20:02 am »

Please feel free to post pictures of your layout and locos everyone!

... BTW, was model railways your first foray into modelling?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:27 am »

I got the usual train sets (tinplate Mettoy 0 gauge, later Hornby), but those can't really count as modelling.  I think the first actual model that I made from a kit was a Kiel Kraft Spook, being a step up from the chuck gliders sold by Woolworths.
I started to learn about model making after getting a Triang Princess Elizabeth set, discovering the wonders of papier machee, sawdust, cotton wool, paint and vegetable dye, as well as Bilteezi stuff.  And Airfix and Rosebud.  I don't think I ever got a layout anywhere near what I had in mind after the first one, right up to when I descended from the loft, having decided that I just wasn't man enough for the climate up there.  After a change to N gauge to fit in the back room, I discovered that the eyesight wasn't really up to seeing when all the little wheels were actually on the track.  That, and realising that after spending my day polishing bits of brass to ensure the flow of electric, doing the same for a hobby just didn't do it for me.   
Enter boats.  I had motorised an Airfix Hood when it first came out, restarted in boats motorising an Airfix Bismark.
Does Meccano count?  Personally, I reckon it should be a compulsory school subject.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.