Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blowing bubbles  (Read 2710 times)

submate

blowing bubbles
« on: July 25, 2010, 04:38:54 pm »

<:( My seawolf took a one way dive today. I had to strip down to my undies to rescue it from the canal. Just from out the only damage is pos a u/s servo, phew

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: blowing bubbles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:49:20 pm »

.... well that's at least two of us that have 'over stretched' our SeaWolf's... anyone else?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:52:43 pm »

Not a Seawolf, but my first Deep Quest took a terminal dive...despite the best attempts of the local sub aqua club, it was never found.   <:(

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:39:47 pm »

Seawolf is a good design. Unlike quite a lot of other cheap sub kits on the market, it features a sturdy cylindrical pressure hull of sound design, and the general layout is conducive to a reliable boat provided good construction standards are maintained.

But there is no such thing as a 100% reliable machine, and subs are no exception, when something does go wrong, it tends to be more serious than other types of model save for aircraft.

Even with a simple dynamic diving boat like the Seawolf, i can think of at least a dozen things that can fail in such a way that results in your boat staying on the bottom, so bearing that in mind, the best thin to do is sail in waters wher you stand a good chance of recovery no matter what happens. Canals, docks and natural lakes are usually the worst places to sail in, becuase they tend to be very deep, or lack visibility or both.

submate

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:13:56 pm »

:-) Hi All, Just an update, I had to also replace the receiver, it just suddenly failed. Sailed yesterday, back to normal hopefully.
I think the main o ring was displaced when the sub sank, a lesson learned.

RonP

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:23:09 pm »

I disagree with subculture, if you deck an aircraft you will be left with the bits to go into a Tesco bag but if you lose a sub, chances are you are going home with a Transmitter and a tear in your eye.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:01:04 pm »

submate. glad you managed to get her back. a dislodged o ring.....just goes to show the need for a quick test at the pond side prior to letting her go. its always good practice to do this i always statically dive my boats directly in front of me at tje waters edge and check for air leaks and failsafe etc prior to letting loose. i take it you didnt put a snall amount of pressure into the old seawolf  and hold it under as this would have shown the leak.. maybe next time.. regard sub.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.