Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable 1mm material for roofing felt?  (Read 6884 times)

Microyacht

Suitable 1mm material for roofing felt?
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:28:03 pm »

I'm at the stage where I need to do the roof on my 36" model Cape Codder houseboat. The slopes are done with shingles and the flatter upper-most tops of the dormers with roofing felt (well, on the full-size boat!). I need something that's 1mm or 1.5mm thick. Any ideas. If all else fails, I could always use wood!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Suitable 1mm material for roofing felt?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:09:14 pm »

I would suggest a Dolls House shop.  We have one near us and its surprising what they have for us 'Boaties'. They may well have shingles and felt roofing material.  ok2

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »

would garden pond liner be any good??

hollowhornbear

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:43:21 pm »

course wet and dry would simulate roofing felt. looks good had one in mind for my next springer. :-)) :-))

Microyacht

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:58 pm »

Lots of interesting suggestions. I don't want paper as it will get wet. One of the problems with a lot of dolls house accessories is that they are all 1/12 scale. My houseboat is 1/8 scale. Some things work OK, others do look wrong. Wet and dry is pretty waterproof. I've a carrier bag full that was my father-in-Law's. I'll have a play. Might try painting it or dry-brushing it. Guess it will stick on with PVA. There is a "Tool Man" on Braintree market who keeps large sheets of fairly thick stuff. Need about 3 sq ft in total, maybe a bit more.

I also have some sandtex paint, worth playing with as well.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:12:18 am »

Try the stone effect spray paint that they have in places like Homebase, i use it for anti-sliop deck paint...

Russ

boat captain

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:56:00 am »

I have used fine sand paper painted white for a light house I built for our club.  I am certain painted grey it would look like roofing felt.    Joe  :-)) :-)) :-)) 

Mac P

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:58 pm »

You may like to try "Sandtex"
The product can be found in B&Q.
It,s a paint based product that contains a fine sand and would also have a sealing effect.
it comes in white and fawn but you can add a color of your choice.
hope that helps
Mac P

Microyacht

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »

. . . . I went to B&Q today for some bits for the tail-end of a complete re-roof job on my workshop. Near the entrance was some packs of sandpaper hanging up. Said to my wife that when we'd got the bits we came for, I wanted to look at the sandpaper, emery, wet-and-dry paper etc. Was in there for about 45 mins. When I got home my wife asked if I'd got the sandpaper stuff I wanted! Forgot.

I'm liking the idea of using the very thick stuff that's waterproof and spraying it grey. I can also make a template for the shingles. I'll take another ride up there ion the next day of so on my bike (Bicycle).

I mentioned about the Sandtex in my previous message. I have some, yes it creamy coloured . . . . I got it for £1 a few months ago out of the odds & ends bin in B&Q. BUT the idiot (Me) got Sandtex SMOOTH! Has no sand in it. What sand would be suitable! LOL

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:03:12 pm »

Boat Captain, you took the words out of my mouth !      I agree the wet and dry for smaller scales right up to the coarsest sanding papers would look like roofing felt.  The effect of roughcast/pebble-dash/harling on buildings is quite effective. The green looks OK for anti-skid decks.  Black(ish), green, brown and yellow are available.   Use 1hr epoxy and let sandpaper stretch for 15 mins before applying
..well can you land on this?

david j

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 07:19:43 pm »

hi, i used car body underseal on dormar roofs of dolls house i did for granddaughter it drys out like roofing felt and is gritty as well, if that is what you are looking for. (auto shield underbody sealant

davidj.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Microyacht

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 08:36:20 pm »

. . . . Great Lighthouse. Thinking of digging a small (scale) lake in my garden. As a retired Lighting designer/engineer, I'm still a lighting freak. A nice landing stage with suitable LED lighting and also fancy a Lighthouse! I think that W/P sandpaper is the answer. This is the full-size houseboat. You can see some of the shingles but the felt on the highest places is out of sight:

AdeH

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:31:43 am »

A few thoughts I have are.

Hamorite spray?
You can get plastic sheets, that the railway boys use. They have ALL sorts of different styles and effects.
I was gonna say sandpaper or similar with a spray clear varnish coating over to waterproof. Or paint with cellulose paint. Thats waterproof anyway.
What about material and covering it in dope?

Ade

Microyacht

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:11 pm »

. . . I've been otherwise occupied as my wife has been in hospital. Hopefully home today.

Thinking of taking the sandpaper route. B&Q have some very thick stuff that I can use as roofing felt and the shingles. Should be able to cut it nicely using a Stanley knife. It's not a huge amount of money, so I'll give it a whirl. I'll get a cheap can of cellulose aerosol off the market (50p out of and "Odds" box"). Spray the shingles after cutting so that edges are nicely covered.

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 02:47:30 pm »

Microyacht,
What about art canvas. I use on model steam ship wheel house roofs and you can get different grades.
Destroyer42
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.