Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballast Question  (Read 2579 times)

Billyruffian

Ballast Question
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:41:27 am »

I have read with interest the articles about ballast and am using both batteries and lead shot as my ballast in a 41" steam drifter.

Question is as I am having to use around 13lbs of lead shot could I put the lead into freezer bags (or similar) and place in situ at the waterside - making the boat lighter to carry - or is this alway liable to shift.

I intend to fix some shot in place in areas where it is not easily accessible like under the motor area and under the battery trats.

Or would I be best pouring the shot into the boat and sealing it all with a little resin?

Thanks for any input.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ballast Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:37:58 am »

%% - Billy......a simple alternate is a combination of both  O0

1. Lay down two layers of good quality "Cling Wrap" in each compartment.....after ensuring that the compartments sides are tapered upwards {:-{
2. Add the lead shot ...& ensure the vessel trim is correct
3. Add the casting resin & hey BINGO  {-)

Individual lead shot blocks that can be removed & replaced at your leasure by the pond............ :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 10:44:48 am »

Tapered upwards?

Tapered outwards towards the top  :-)) :-)) :-))

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Billyruffian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:13 am »

Thanks Derek - what a good idea  :-))

Now why didn't I think of that? This is why this site is so brilliant.

Thanks again.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:02:21 pm »

Billyruffian .....Ned is correct ...... "Tapered outwards towards the top"     {-) ...but only if you live in the northern hemisphere

My comment "tapered upwards " is technically universal for both the southern & northern hemisphere :-))

One of the good points in being a first fleet convict from OZ .....is that we have a  superior >>:-( grasp of the English language ..... {-) %% O0 ....as we wrote some of the lessons.........& I am on $1.00 commission for every book I sell.....Derek :}
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mersey dave

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:09:14 pm »

you could allways add another battery as ballest then you can swop them over when flat. thats what i do.

regards dave

hmsantrim

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 06:58:24 am »

Hi Billy.
         why lead shot? why not lead sheet you dont need a bag for that.  You can bend it, roll it, shape it, cut bits off it and there is
        always lead weights from the fishing tackle shop in a variety of shapes and sizes. It may be possible to introduce some balsa
        framing into your hull to hold the additional removable ballast in place   

As many batteries as you can for initial removable ballast weight is always the best way to go as you dont strain anything getting
       the boat out the water at the end of the day. 

cheers Frank   :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 08:58:24 pm »

The combination of enough fixed ballast where its difficult to get at to enable the boat to be stable enough to have the rest loaded/unloaded while afloat, yet still not damage the owner while carrying it out of the water has to be favourite.whether its bags of shot/scrap in contained areas or ingots.
Having it easily removable has the extra benefit that if you buy it an extra present later, like a sound system, re-trimming is that much easier.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:04:55 am »

or of course you could get the shape of the ballast spaces with plaster of paris in cling wrap and then use it to make moulds to cast lead ingots to fit.

Nordsee

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:36:37 pm »

Just an idea, there was a man, a Vicar I believe, who built a big model of the SS Great Britain. The build was published in Model Boats as a series in the early 80s. I seem to recall he used old Motorcycle chains as ballast. Cleaned of course, they could be formed in to the shape of the hull and removed at the pondside, so making transport easier.Ordinary iron chain would do the same job and not involve hot lead! I use old Wheel weights from our local Tyre Stockist. I give them 10 Euros for the Coffee Fund and I get half a bucket full, Melt them to remove the metal tags, and scim off the scum and you have shiny"Lead" !! Another plus, it melts at a lower temperature than lead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.