Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie on board  (Read 2323 times)

retrotug

Newbie on board
« on: July 30, 2010, 03:32:51 pm »

Hi all, I did r/c yatch's for a while about ?? yers ago, and also had a Fairplay 5 tug. As is the way of all things, the boats went years back, but now semi-retired, I have a hankering to have a go at another tug.  Reading various postings, and reading reviews, I do fancy an Aziz, but that might be too much for a first build. Being far more sensible than I used to be, I wondered what you forummers would suggest. Is the Fairplay kit (by Hegi, from memory) still available? I can't seem to find them on  the web. Back in those days we all used the new-fangled 27meg FM sets, but I see it's all moved on from there, what's the current thinking on r/c gear, please. Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I'm a bit isolated where I am (Argaka, Cyprus 8).
Thanks in advance.
Retrotug

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie on board
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »

Hi, and welcome to Model Boat Mayhem.

I'm sure you'll find the answers to all your questions regarding 'Running gear', but I'd like to recommend the Aziz.  She is not that difficult to construct and can be obtained from Model Slipway. Several of us have built her, so should you decide to have a go, then we can always help you out.

My build of her is on You Tube if you want to see what's involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKeFe_FxrQ

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

retrotug

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:35:49 am »

Thanks Ken, for your encouragement, though I think I might make Aziz the second build, especially as there seems o be a problem with fitting hatch covers :D. I must say that everything I've seen/read about Aziz tempts me greatly.

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:01:58 am »

Kenny,  Just watched your "youtube" really enjoyed the build thought it was really well presented
(the youtube and the build) 'till the came to the last 2 or 3 frames - what went wrong. I would be
interested to know as I am building what will be a far more unstable model than Red Pelican. Was it
stability or a mechanical problem.

Geoff

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 11:33:55 am »

Welcome aboard  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:21 pm »

Welcome retrotug,
The only real problem with the Aziz is you really do have to seal the aft hatches, this was the problem with Kens and indeed the one I had, as they do ship water. When kens went down (at Wicksteed 4 years ago) it had also been raining --a lot, it was myself who performed the salvage operation (they weigh a lot when full of water).
All that said they do make a great model, Action electronics have a full wiring diagram for twin motors, bow thruster, lights etc. if you wish to add all the "whistles and bells"
Hope this helps   :-))
Steamed up all the time

retrotug

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 01:36:06 pm »

I really would like to do Aziz, but not really feeling confident enough to plough straight into it, it's been any years since I last built anything. I am very impressed with Action electronics. The whole field has changed since I ws using what was basically a rheostat as a speed controller, how crude was that? Does anyone know if the "Fairplay 5" is still available? Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em coming.
Retrotug
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.