Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My Build of MT Hibernia  (Read 59211 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My Build of MT Hibernia
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2010, 07:00:59 pm »

In between all this I have found a new brown aerosol paint which is lighter in shade and resprayed the cabins and rear hatches.  In my spare time I've made a roof for the new coal house as the coal has been delivered and the rains have come back.  %%

The funnel has been completed and now looks the 'Biz' so I can relax in the warm house and think about more plating !!!!

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2010, 08:13:24 pm »

Finally finished the plating.      :}     It took three sheets of plywood at £12 but we got there in the end. Since the picture was taken I've smoothed down the top edges and gone over it with a light sand papering. Tomorrow we paint.   ok2

I've placed a few of the completed parts on deck to get another flavour and now beginning to feel pleased with her. This model build seems to have been going on for a while and although scratch built, has cost a relative fortune so far. I don't like the brown colour so it looks as if I might have to blend my own again. I've rubbed down the blemishes with wet'n'dry all ready to go again.

tugmad

« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:39 pm »

well done Ken keep going   the Brown you want is Bulrush you can get it made up at B & Q it is exactly the same as Watkins Brown :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2010, 08:52:32 pm »

Thanks George.  I must admit I've not heard of this colour of brown although it sounds logical.  I'll look into it.   :-))

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2010, 04:30:33 pm »

We are now on week 13 of the build and finally finished the hull planking.   :-))   What a nightmare. The costs have reached over £200 so far but it shouldn't cost more than another hundred to finish. (try explaining that to the wife !!)

I have fitted the side rails and the top handrail and sprayed it with red oxide. This should show up any blemishes which corrected before we spray the top coat black. The upper parts are just laid on at the moment as I find it encourages me to continue.   ;)

Ken

ps   Just looked at the Skid bars . Might need thinning down a bit methinks.   :embarrassed:

tugmad

« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2010, 08:00:31 pm »

Hi Ken yes the rubbing strakes are a bit on the heavy side and you seem to have forgotten the anchor stowage wells either side of the bow,

A T B  geo

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2010, 08:10:50 pm »

The anchor wells are underneath the plating from previous workings. All I have to do is break through the new plates when I start cutting the hull about for wash ports etc.

I will be thinking of plating the decks soon, then I can get the bulwark supports fitted.

Ken

tugmad

« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2010, 08:14:04 pm »

Sorry Ken   I am poking the old hooter in again.   ;) :embarrassed:

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:35 pm »

No, certainly not. It's nice to have help. 

I've copied off your picture as your anchor wells are slightly different to the drawings. The recess tapers back deeper at the top (as if the chain comes down through this section) and I was having difficulty fabricating this shape so gave up until I had the plating section done.

Now is the time to think about it again. I might make an insert shape to go in complete in one go.  Also mine is not going to line up with the plating run.   :embarrassed:  so will not be an exact copy. Must get on as I've the Titanic to build yet.   :}

Ken

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2010, 10:18:58 pm »

Nice job on the tug Ken, as for the Titanic your in luck there, I've got every book written about her, plus line drawings, pictures galore, so give me a shout if you need any info.  :-))
Steamed up all the time

tugmad

« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2010, 02:03:32 pm »

Hello Ken These pictures were taken at the lake this morning and they are of the Big sisters Avenger and Hibernia, they show my Avenger and a hibernia belonging to another club member the hibernia has just been re painted by my brother peter.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »

Hello Ken These pictures were taken at the lake this morning

Just one word .......   Beautiful   :-)) :-))    That's the colour I'm looking for. 

When it stops raining, I shall 'go a hunting'   Will she ever look like those. I now have something to aim for.

Today I thinned down the strakes and started cutting the holes in the scuppers  (all very nautical stuff !!)   but it's a bit cold out there so it's time for a break.

Thank you very much

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2010, 02:23:03 pm »

as for the Titanic your in luck there, I've got every book written about her, plus line drawings, pictures galore, so give me a shout if you need any info.  :-))

Hi Phil,

Nice to hear from. You are THE man.  I appreciate this indeed and would like to take you up on your offer.

I will PM you almost immediately and look forward to seeing you again at the Warwick show. I'm coming up with Mark and family for our usual throw money in the lake exercise.
                                                :}  :}  :}

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:42 am »

I've finally found the right colour. The shade of 'Bulrush' was mixed for me at the superstore and I must say, it looks correct.

Here's the first coat which came out all right but needs a light rub down. I have a litre can so plenty to use up.  %)

The funnel now has it's top coat on and looks smart.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:05 am »

I have under coated the hull first with red oxide and then grey paint. The lower Red section was then sprayed on to above the water line and this is how it looks at the moment. 

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2010, 10:33:01 am »

The anchor well have been made and inserted into the gaps. Here is a view from below the water line. I've even painted the stand and underneath the fire hose deck along with some red  hose piping.

Got a handful of coffee sticks from MacDonalds to make some steps and stairs with !! so that should be fun.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2010, 04:06:44 pm »

Next we taped a guide line where red meets black and sprayed her with matt black.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2010, 04:12:01 pm »

That's the hull finished !!!   104 days    %)   must be a record for longevity here somewhere..

I then got on with plating the deck. I used 1mm plastic card which was cut into strips and fitted like a chess board. Super glue works a treat on plywood.

The resultant cross hatches were filled with P38 car body filler and smoothed off to fill the gaps.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:46 pm »

I then sprayed on the favourite Red Oxide undercoat and had a cup of tea and a cake. It was dry in under half hour so I used the Tamiya green paint with a wide paint brush and this is the result.

I placed the cabin on to get a colour match and it looks acceptable so I'll leave it this colour. The bulwarks have to be made and fitted so the inside wall will have to be painted again as there is over spray from the red oxide.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2010, 04:46:19 pm »

Started work on the upper splash windows and rubbed down the brown  as it wasn't very smooth. The cabin has been painted again is now drying on the shelf.

I then painted the white line and started on the bow bollard.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »

Next we got on with painting the inside edge of the bulwarks in Matt black. The bulwark supports will be fitted when dry as it's awkward to get a nice paint job when they are in place.

Then we 'knocked up' two ladders from coffee sticks  (courtesy of my trip back from Warwick on the motorway  ok2)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2010, 08:20:22 pm »

I've cut up some CD cases and made the glass for the upper splash windows and also welded the fire platform struts together.

The anchor winch is made and sprayed and now fitted to the bow along with the tow post in the fore deck.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2010, 08:23:39 pm »

The funnel has been repainted  (YET AGAIN) to a more subtle colour to match the upper works and the ladders have been fitted. I've also lightened the inside edge of the bulwarks as they looked a little dark in the black colour.

I've also made new ladders for the funnel deck to go down inside the boat as the previous ones didn't have sides on them !  The water would have cascaded inside the boat during sailing and we don't want that, do we.  %)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »

As some parts are sub made and painted, these are now secured on the boat and we're getting there at last. Since the last picture I've painted the bras tube frame to match and its on the drying mat.   :}

The lifeboat davits could prove a bit of fun to make.    ok2   Not to ones self. Don't put 1:48 scale people on on a 1:32 scale boat. !!

tugmad

« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2010, 08:49:28 pm »

Thats looking much better Ken  :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.