Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Email programs?  (Read 3891 times)

BJ

Email programs?
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:58:46 pm »

Anyone like to comment on the email programs OUTLOOK EXPRESS v WINDOWS LIVE MAIL v THUNDERBIRD 3.

Comments that I have found so far seem to suggest that T/Bird is the better but no one has said which software (version?) is required the packages. {:-{

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Email programs?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »

Just started using Thunderbird and you do need to go through the settings to make sure it checks the server and downloads any Email's when you start it up ( for some reason thats not an automatic set-up ). It does import all of your contacts and Emails from Outlook Express very quickly.

I've stopped using Outlook Express because the automatic compress Email function ( ok it does ask first but if you don't click yes it pops up everytime you use Email ) has led to both myself and my Mum's pc's loosing whole folders of saved Emails ( the folders become corrupted and there seems to be no way of recovering them from the archive that I can find )

Thunderbird is just as usable as any other Email program and I have no intention of going back to Outlook Express
Davie Tait,
Scotland

chingdevil

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:32 pm »

I have Windows Live Mail, and it is a pain in the rear, to have another e-mail address with it I have to have another log in to the program >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( I keep thinking of using Outlook which came with Office 2007 and which I use at work.

Brian

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:07 pm »

I still use TBird 2 for most of my email addresses. But I use the Portable version, which stores all its files in one directory. That makes it easy to backup, as you only have to copy one directory to have everything. You can also easily transfer your email environment to another machine simply by transferring that directory, or you can store the directory on a USB drive, and have your complete personal email service available on any machine you are sitting at, just by sticking the USB drive in and running TBird from it...

colin-d

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:40:01 am »

its the old cliché

Microsoft v Netscape

Microsoft = Outlook
Netscape = Mozilla = Thunderbird

i guess its more of a case of which program did i grow old with... both program's were deigned to just about the same, both program's have there little bits that get on ones nerves.

the best part of my computerdays, (and that is quite a few) i have used Outlook Express with no Problems at all.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:40:27 am »

Use Outlook Express as it is simple.  O0
Have a Hotmail account, don't like it.
Before Outlook Express was proficient with Eudora in conjunction with Netsacape Navigator.
Also have Outlook part of "Office" suite.
But prefer and use Outlook Express.  :-)) O0

BJ

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:39:08 am »

I have Windows Live Mail, and it is a pain in the rear, to have another e-mail address with it I have to have another log in to the program >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( I keep thinking of using Outlook which came with Office 2007 and which I use at work.

I read at the weekend that Office 2007 had corrupted the pre 2007 versions of the Outlook Express spell checker (would check French only) and the reader was advised to install Windows Live Mail to correct the problem. Then my  further research suggest WLM had its own probems.... hence the original question.

Thanks guys

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:52 pm »

I used Outlook Express until they decided not to support hotmail any more.  So I tried Windows Live Mail, and found out it insisted on using the "nickname" field ( which I had been using as a misc info field ) as part of the send to list, no way to change that and I didn't want to re-write my address book.  Then I tried Thunderbird.  Addons available for webmail/hotmail, just sits there and works.  Looks and feels much like the old OE.
I think they all save messages as one dirty great big file, so there is the possibility of corruption whichever is used.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

retrotug

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 05:33:57 pm »

Googlemail! Can't beat it!!
Retrotug

BJ

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »

Now here is another question for you all.........
Is it safe to run OE AND T/BIRD at the "same" time until the decision is made as to which one to use?
(Must admit I first started with a netscapeonline email address until it went to subscription - am I sentimental?)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »

I would hazard a guess that there is no reason why you shouldn't have as many mail clients as you like on your system. If you have your mail set to delete from your suppliers 'post office' as soon as you read it (which is the way things normally work) you will probably end up with some of your mail stored in one client, and some in another.

And, depending on how you have set various defaults on your system, you may get a bit of confusion if you expect one client to pop up, but another one does...

That said, I have 14 separate clients sitting on the machine I am currently using, serving 14 different e-mail addresses, and it all seems to work smoothly...

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:40:28 pm »

I would hazard a guess that there is no reason why you shouldn't have as many mail clients as you like on your system. If you have your mail set to delete from your suppliers 'post office' as soon as you read it (which is the way things normally work) you will probably end up with some of your mail stored in one client, and some in another.

And, depending on how you have set various defaults on your system, you may get a bit of confusion if you expect one client to pop up, but another one does...

That said, I have 14 separate clients sitting on the machine I am currently using, serving 14 different e-mail addresses, and it all seems to work smoothly...

Are they all using the same email program.

BJ

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 11:19:45 pm »

I have 14 separate clients sitting on the machine I am currently using, serving 14 different e-mail addresses

No wonder you call yourself "Dodgy Geezer"!

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:56:06 pm »

Are they all using the same email program.

Depends which operating system I'm using. I usually use Thunderbird - but, for a trial, I've just loaded Sylpheed onto this system and used it perfectly successfully to send and receive mail from an address that I was also using Thunderbird on. I retrieved one message onto Sylpheed, and another one onto Thunderbird. The test, including loading and configuring the package, took me all of 5 minutes...

I can't tell you much about Outlook - I use Microsoft products as little as possible. I think I have SeaMonkey and Claws Mail on some of my systems somewhere - but they will be running different accounts again....

BJ

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:03 am »

..... Thunderbird. The test, including loading and configuring the package, took me all of 5 minutes...
 I use Microsoft products as little as possible.
Picked up your rely through T/Bird email and so far I cannot get the spell checker to work despite deliberately putting a wrong spelling. Like you, I am also trying to use M/S as little as possible (see the Open Office thread)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »

You have ticked the 'spell-check as you type' box? Mine works fine...

I have a wide variety of reasons for not wanting to use Microsoft products - and it is worth pointing out that it's not enough not to use the product - ideally you should not pay the Microsoft tax either. For every machine which is sold with a Microsoft operating system and Microsoft software, part of the money you have paid is passed to Microsoft - whether you use the software or not....

BJ

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 02:09:54 pm »

You have ticked the 'spell-check as you type' box? Mine works fine...

Solved: It is how you import the dictionary that is the problem. I went on to FAQ and got the following instruction.......

1. Tools->Add-ons->Get Add-ons
2. Australian Dictionary in search box
3. Select Australian English Dictionary and click "Add to Thunderbird..."->Install Now->Restart Thunderbird
4. Select Australian Dictionary as default dictionary when writing emails
Tools->Options->Composition tab->Spelling sub-tab->Language "English/Australia"

So use UK dictionary in lieu of "Oz" and all is now OK
Thanks for the help

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.