Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail material for Barge?  (Read 2419 times)

Watchleader

Sail material for Barge?
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:48:33 am »

Hi.
Can anybody help with the question of what is the best material for sails on a sailing barge? I am currently working on the build of "Lady Daphne"
I am fairly confident from various sources that "egyptian cotton is best", but when I look deeper I find that egyptian cotton comes in various "grades" : 200dti, 400dti, 500dti and even 1000dti.
I guess this is the weave density. (treads per inch???). Also the price increases with the higher numbers. None of the sail suppliers mention dti in their descriptions.
The scale I am am working on is 1/24 and I want this materail to be near realistic as possible (as well as work).
I am sure that dyeing to a realistic colour is another question I will be addressing.!
Those who have been here and done that before, - please advise. :-) :-) O0 :-))

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Sail material for Barge?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:28:30 am »

This site on sailcloth lists sail canvas at around 30 threads per inch. So 500 would seem to be ok for model-accurate sails at 1/24th scale.

As to colour - don't ask me. The only time I tried this they ended up too pink%%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »

Egyptian cotton (cambric) well washed then dyed Terra Cotta  (Dylon) would be ideal for the mainsail, mizzen and topsail. You might get away with undyed staysail and jibs if your washed fabric has lost it's 'whiteness'. My local Dunelm Mills does cambric in several grades and shades including Terra cotta and Off white.

Personally, I wouldn't use too heavy a grade of fabric coz it may not hang or draw realistically when rigged.

A buddy of mine swears by fabric recycled from disposable 'paper' overalls which is long lasting, nonporous and sets well. He 'dyes' his sails with a  white spirit 'wash' coloured to the shade he desires to replicate. I've seen the end result and am sufficiently impressed to have obtained a pack of overall (approx £4)  which I'll probably use on my current project, an 18th century square rigger- unless I revert to good old fashioned cambric!

A word or two of advise . - I'd suggest that you initially try out samples of several  prospective options before committing yourself to time ,money and possibly stress in order to ensure that you end up with a result which you're happy with (or copy what someone else has done which you've eyeballed and like)
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:10:34 pm »

Another alternative that we have used is the material from old umbrellas.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Big Ada

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:22:46 pm »

Look out for Terracotta Pillowcases in the Sales.

firedup

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:55:28 pm »

I looked for cotton sheets bobble free
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.