Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Little, too Much?  (Read 2010 times)

Happy Harry

Too Little, too Much?
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:26:29 am »

Good day all,
I'm just about to start my first conversion from static to RC (a Schnellboot S-100) and I'm having conflicting thoughts on my power plant, I have settled on 3 x 385 motors but now have the following options:

1.  A Mtroniks Viper Marine 25A ESC to power all 3 motors running off a 11.1v Lipo, will this esc handle that draw and will this be sufficient power to get the model up on plane?

2.  A Mtroniks Viper Marine 25A ESC powering all 3 motors on 2 x 7..2 packs in parallel, again same questions as the first concerning power.

3.  And finally my gold solution, a Viper Marine 25A ESC connected to a P92 (Action Electronics) distribution board power all motors plus giving me spare outputs for sounds and lights etc (I would like to run this on 11.1v lipo).

If I'm way off the mark here with my solutions please let me know and advice/suggest different, I'm leaning towards getting solution 3 and installing a small extraction fan within the hull and decking to remove as much heat as possible.
Many thanks to anyone able to give advice.
Best Regards
Neil

Prophet

Re: Too Little, too Much?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »

check actions electronic layouts on there home page. that will give you a better idea on whats what.

i tend to use 2, 25-40 amp escs with 550-600 up to 800 size motors (esc varies with what motor) with a v tail mixer using 2, 7.2v lipos removing the central lead on the esc's BLC (battery eliminator circuit) and powering the receiver and servos off a 4 AA battery pack or use a 6v ((i think))  lipo receiver pack remember to add fuses to the positive cable of the motor to avoid burnt out escs and full boat fires !!! 10A or 20A should do the trick be carfull connecting 3 motors off 1 esc you do run a high risk of burring out the esc due to the draw caused via the motor, check with actions circuit diagram to be sure if I'm correct on this i can never remember.

hope this helps in deciding what to do i do think that your 3rd option is a great idea but remember the more complicated the wiring the harder it is to track down faults..

links to Action wiring diagram page

First link to 3 motors off 1 esc....
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Three-motor%20MTB%20with%20one%20ESC.pdf

Next is 3 motors with the p40 mixer
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Three%20Motors.pdf

3RD main page link
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php

Hope this helps  :-)) keep us posted

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »

Don't forget that with LiPos you need really need some sort of warning device to let you the battery running low and its time to head in, rather than a last second "safety" device that cuts drive power.  Planes can (usually) glide down, then you walk over and collect, cars stop, and you walk over and collect, boats stop, and walking over is not usually an option.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Prophet

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:18:57 pm »

Time to get the Waders out  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Happy Harry

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »

:-))
Fantastic!, thank you all very much. Just been going through Action Electronics site and there wiring diagrams (thankyou for the link) and I think your third option is exactly what I want. I just need to check with them it will be able to take Lipo's OK and I can expand it (with sound modules etc) and that will be the one.

Many thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated.

Regards

Neil

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »

Adding lipos is easy you can place 2 lipos or 3 as long as you make sure you connect them in parallel !!

Prophet

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 10:16:33 pm »

theres a trick to making sure you dont get stranded in the lake with a flat battery... its a bit old school but if you power the reciver with a seperate battery pack using a 3 channel reciver you can connect the 3rd channel to a servo in turn connects to a switch which (even after main battery is drained) can flip the circuit to a reserve battery enough to give you time to bring the boat back in .. normally you can see the boats power drop off especially if it a v type hull that planes the boats generally tend to not pick up the plane and become sluggish on that notice .. flip your 3rd channel switch over and bingo easy power up with out fear of wading in or waiting .........

the real old method is run the boat for about 3-5 mins (pending on lipo 1800-2400-etc) then bring it back in quick..

or the method i use with my 5 year old daughter.... tie some 40LB fishing line on the back let her run it till its dead then reel it back in  %% :-))

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:40:16 pm »

Try this diagram its roughly how it should look.... i had to look in my boat to remeber how it all went haha
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.