Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon - a warning.  (Read 9523 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Proxxon - a warning.
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:24:28 pm »

It pains me to send this post. Every time a questioner has asked "what tool?" I've always recommended Proxxon.
I still have a high regard for the quality of the tools. I have 8 of them ranging from the mini-drill through to a lathe and the larger pillar drill.
Recently, the "on/off" switch on the pillar drill decided to call it a day. In my ignorance I foolishly thought that getting a new one would be no problem. How wrong could I be.
Fitting a switch that only has 4 wires attached to it is no problem. But Proxxon want to fit it themselves at a cost of up to £135. For a £5 switch? As I want to fit it myself (even a brain dead oik like me can do that), they now want "additional" information.
1. The "model" number and type. (A pillar drill, stupid)
2.The serial number of the motor.
3. My date of purchase.
4. The pattern number and all the other numbers on the "dead" switch.
As far as I'm concerned they are flogging a dead horse. A year ago I had a similar problem with the switch on the (Proxxon) bandsaw, got the new one almost return of post. No problem.
So are they just playing games, or what. If this sort of behaviour carries on I'm afraid my allegiance (sadly) will have to change. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proxxon - a warning.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:10 pm »

Is it worth trying to get the switch through an agent rather than direct Bryan?

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:39:43 pm »

Sounds like you're hitting the "Claim/Blame" safety net from them Brian. Sadly, some can't get Two wires connnected the right way round so given that a 4 terminal switch can have 24 permutations and it's MAINS at that.

Regards  Ian

If it's a NVR have you tried Axminster??
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »

Colin and Circlip.....my obvious choice is to take the defunct item to a local industrial (?) outlet and seek some help. BY.

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:28 pm »

have you got a picture of the item

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:49:44 pm »

Ring and speak to John. He'll sort this out if he possibly can. Nice bloke.
http://www.plankonframe.com/
FLJ

boat captain

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »

Try Sid at S&M Tools main Proxxon dealers Tel 0207 831 8366, www.proxxondirect.com   He is very helpfull.  Joe :-)) :-))

Proteus

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:12:36 pm »

is it the TBM 220

davidm1945

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Proxxon, like most manufacturers, probably buy in switches from several different suppliers during the production run of this pillar drill, all with slightly different mountings.
Have you tried to buy a part for your car lately - they wont even start to look without model number, chassis number, year of manufacture etc etc.
Plus of course the part must, by law, be fitted by a qualified electrician, penalty for non compliance is I believe £3000!

Let Proxxon do it - it could be cheaper!!  ok2

All the best,
    Dave.

Proteus

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:20:22 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Proxxon, like most manufacturers, probably buy in switches from several different suppliers during the production run of this pillar drill, all with slightly different mountings.
Have you tried to buy a part for your car lately - they wont even start to look without model number, chassis number, year of manufacture etc etc.
Plus of course the part must, by law, be fitted by a qualified electrician, penalty for non compliance is I believe £3000!

Let Proxxon do it - it could be cheaper!!  ok2

All the best,
    Dave.

er what law ? please show us

pugwash

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:37:20 pm »

Hi David, I thought these new government regs about re-wiring etc only related to fixed wiring in homes
I know that after doing three total rewiring jobs in homes over the years this time I had to get a 'leccy
in to comply with the regs but I did not know it related to power tools in my workshop. Are you sure??
Would anyone know or find out anyway?

Geoff

davidm1945

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:49:37 pm »

Hi Folks,
    This is an interesting problem. I know that I got a mate of mine (a qualified electrician) to replace a frayed cable on my Black and Decker drill. He told me I could be on very dodgy ground if I did it myself and injured someone. I must admit that I assumed this was because of the new regulations.
     I can't find an actual reference to repairing power tools on the net so if someone proves me wrong, I will stand corrected and apologise!

This is the best I can find;-
http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/safety-and-regulations/electrical-regulations.html

Dave

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:58:45 pm »

Bryan, go up the road to Cullercoates and ask at ESR, an electronics bits n pieces shop on Station Rd opposite the cop shop (or they were, last time I passed by).  All it needs is something of the right size and shape and performance unless its one of those incredibly dangerous safety switches.  While a qualified form filler is a legal necessity for house wiring, its really the last sort of person you want mending an appliance.
There is no fear of the law, as until it gets plugged into the mains, its just a lump of metal and plastic, not a part of the house wiring.  And yes, they do sound like they are playing at being morons for profit.  You dont need to join the game. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

kenthompson

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

Hi all .
as far as I am aware it only applies if the wiring or a new addition, if you are replacing it ,then you can do it your self???
Again pleas correct me if I am wrong

Ken

Proteus

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 12:17:25 am »

read page 5   so you can fix it yourself and after further reading can do small jobs around the house, even spurs

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

Prophet

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 09:33:35 am »

yes you only need an electrician for new section added but replacmen ts you can do yourself next someone will say you cant change the fuse in your house with out an electrician.

someones already said it but see if you can get the replacement part from an agent or have a look round for a switch on line or in the screw fix catalogue ( maybe i have no idea what the switch looks like)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:56 am »

If you look at the law. ANY ONE can add what the want EG re wire a house so long as it is inspected by a compant person , if that peace of work requires it. I make no reference to appliances that plug in. There it is a free for all.
Note on getting wiring checked. It is like this. Job need planning permission then the building inspector  will want to see certs . For the rest of it you can say it was all ways like that .Heard of any one getting caught doing 71mph on an motorway?

John

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 10:24:17 am »

If you look at the law. ANY ONE can add what the want EG re wire a house so long as it is inspected by a compant person , if that peace of work requires it. I make no reference to appliances that plug in. There it is a free for all.
Note on getting wiring checked. It is like this. Job need planning permission then the building inspector  will want to see certs . For the rest of it you can say it was all ways like that .Heard of any one getting caught doing 71mph on an motorway?

John
Now all you have to do is find an electrician to sign certificates on work that he has not carried out, and the best of luck.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 10:26:41 am »

For the rest of it you can say it was all ways like that

You would need to be a bit careful there as the wiring colours have changed, You can't go out, buy some wiring, do the job and then claim it was done 15 years ago as the wiring you will be using wasn't on sale then!

While you continue to live in the house it probably wouldn't be a problem unless you had a fire in which case the insurance company might refuse to pay out. But when it comes to selling, the buyer's surveyor may well ask to see any relevant paperwork and then you could be stuffed!

I recently had my traditional fuesbox changed to a circuit breaker unit by a bona fide electrician and I have been given reams of paperwork to prove the job was carried out properly in the event that I sell the house.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »

Bryan, go up the road to Cullercoates and ask at ESR, an electronics bits n pieces shop on Station Rd opposite the cop shop (or they were, last time I passed by).  All it needs is something of the right size and shape and performance unless its one of those incredibly dangerous safety switches.  While a qualified form filler is a legal necessity for house wiring, its really the last sort of person you want mending an appliance.
There is no fear of the law, as until it gets plugged into the mains, its just a lump of metal and plastic, not a part of the house wiring.  And yes, they do sound like they are playing at being morons for profit.  You dont need to join the game. 
Malcolm. I know the firm very well as I buy most of my small electrical bits'n'bobs from them. Not sure about this one, but worth a try. But this switch seems fairly common across many tools. Big square buttons (Red'n'Green). All there is on the back is KJD6..and the 4 connectors. I took one to bits and there's a relay and some other gubbins inside. Seems to be the same switch as used on the Unimat.Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »

Funny (but interesting) how one subject rapidly morphs into another on this forum! BY.

marmoi

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 03:29:03 pm »

The regulations in question are only for fixed wiring within or outside a building. If you are mending a machine/appliance you only have to worry about the insurance if it burns the house down afterwards. :police:

davidm1945

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 03:30:21 pm »

Funny (but interesting) how one subject rapidly morphs into another on this forum! BY.

Sorry! :embarrassed:

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »

Yes, just seems to sort of switch doesn't it......?

Colin

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 06:20:27 pm »

Very witty Colin! %)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 24 queries.