Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor - ESC connections  (Read 3301 times)

Drkomen86

Motor - ESC connections
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »

Can any body help please, I had in the post my new (first ever) brushless motor and ESC but there was no instructions on how to fit it.
as you can see from the pic the ESC output wires are all black so Im not sure which to connect to which. (I put the white tape on as thats what Im guessing is +)

Please please help  :-)

hollowhornbear

Re: Motor - ESC connections
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

anyone to any other just swop any two over if it runs the wrong way.
hope this helps

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:18:21 pm »

Drkomen86

Worry not, all will be well  :}

In your pic of the ESC:
 the little three-core wire is the signal/power to/fron the receiver
The Red and Black are to the battery pack - the colour DOES matter
The other three at the other end go to the motor - connect any to any motor wire
-As HHbear says it will either spin the right way, or the wrong way :-)

If it is the right way congratulate yourself and mark them (if you wish)
If it is the wrong way, swap any 2 wires

BTW - don't know if you got any instructions or specs at all - if not
The motor is a water-cooled INRUNNER - probably designed to be the same (nose) diameter as a S600/540/550 brushed motor
(this is so that it will fit any of the gearboxes or belt drives for this size of motor)
It is a real high-revving motor (high KV), and if ou are going to drive the prop directly  only suitable for small racing props/high speed boats
MUST be allowed to really scream
It will like volts more than amps  - probably 12V or much more

Please don't let the motor labour or run slow at full throttle, it will pull very high currents and may surprise the ESC :((

andrew

Drkomen86

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 11:04:53 am »

WOW thats amazing info, thank you so so much.
I was expecting a good responce but this even surprised me  :-))

I am running it on a power boat with an outrunner with flexi drive and a 35mm prop to start with. The battery I got is a 11.1v 5000mAh I think.

Im glad you gave me a little spec because in now know the 550 motor mount Ive been looking at will fit ok.

Btw I payed £40 for the motor, ESC and battery, did I get a good deal  {:-{

Cornelp

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:20:41 pm »

Just to add a bit to Andrew's answer:

There should be a label on the motor with the kv (rotations per volt). If not, check with the shop, it is quite important. On a power boat you aim for around 30k rpm at the prop. With your battery, 11V, you need a motor with a kv of around 3000. If the motor is 2100 (I have a similar one), the rpm is too low, so you should go on 4S (14V).
It looks like a 2845 inrunner, so the kv could be anything between 1900 to 4000 kV.

And yes, the price is ok, those motors are very solid. Not high performance, but very good for fun.

Cornel

Drkomen86

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »

it says 3600Rpm/Vso hope it works well  :-)

Drkomen86

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:47:47 pm »

may be a very silly question but do still need a 2nd battery for my Rx and servo or does it run from the main battery through the small 3 wire lead {:-{

God I feel thick !!!!  {-)

Cornelp

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 12:32:54 pm »

In theory it should have a BEC (battery eliminator circuit), so no need for a separate pack. Just plug it in and you'll see. Power is given to the rx via the red wire (or middle wire), so if you want to run a separate pack, you should remove this red wire from the connector (it goes out quite easy).

Flying Sparks

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:41:10 pm »

may be a very silly question but do still need a 2nd battery for my Rx and servo or does it run from the main battery through the small 3 wire lead

It depends on your speed controller, if it has a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuitry) then a second battery is not required. If on the other hand you have an Opto speed controller then you will need a separate battery for your receiver. If have no instructions and there is no clue on the ESC label then plug the ESC into your receiver and plug a spare servo into another channel, connect the battery to your ESC. If the servo powers up then you have BEC and no separate power is required.

Also I notice you have a 3600Kv motor, that is a very high revving motor, keep to a small prop or else it will pull a lot of Amps and burn the ESC out. Preferably you should check how many Amps you are pulling, not easy but possible.

Phil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.