Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If I can't get a TT Victoria.  (Read 2903 times)

Dekan

If I can't get a TT Victoria.
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:55:24 pm »

If I can't get a TT Victoria.... any alternatives other than the Micro Magic ?

Prophet

Re: If I can't get a TT Victoria.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:37:54 pm »

i recently acquired from howesmodels a surmount 800mm racing yacht for a rtr kit it goes like the clappers its not a micro. but have you also though of building a seasparrow they come in a range of sizes the 750 is the most popular but the range starts from 375mm up to 1500mm and their plans are free from here.

http://www.racingsparrow.co.nz/theboat.html

Dekan

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:02:49 pm »

Thanks for the info... but I have never built a Yacht before and I suspect that by the time I finished it..I would probably not save much money on TT Victoria.. ok2

Prophet

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »

i suppose it depends if your yachts for getting into racing as a starter or its for a few hours at the weekend, if its for racing you will proably end up spending a fortune on building a class racer or buying one semi or pre- built anywhere from £300-500+ and thats no joke!

Its not that expensive to build a boat to any real size.. i mean a sheet of 3mm-5mm marine ply here is £11 for a 8x4! thats enough to knock out 2 boats... planking material from shops £2.50 for 5m x5mm strips so £10 there  so far ya up to £22. GPR if your going to use it .. further £20-40 pending on matting and amount, then sails £10 for a kite shop .. only real expense is radio gear decent servos and receiver £50 job lot of ebay maybe. then make a keel or buy one £10 paints.. £20 .. total.... £150 roughly.. how much is the micro Victoria?

remeber building it yourself means not looking for spares when it goes wrong.... and when something does go wrong you know every inch of your boat and will be able to fix it better, not only that you can spread the cost of your build over time lowering that lump sum in one hit   :-))

poddy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:45:29 pm »

I've watched three IOM class yachts, two with three sets of sails and one a widget, all be it an old one, sail through ebay recently. All sold for less than £120.

I would have gone for one myself, but I got sidetracked into something else...again.

Dekan

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »

i suppose it depends if your yachts for getting into racing as a starter or its for a few hours at the weekend, if its for racing you will proably end up spending a fortune on building a class racer or buying one semi or pre- built anywhere from £300-500+ and thats no joke!

Its not that expensive to build a boat to any real size.. i mean a sheet of 3mm-5mm marine ply here is £11 for a 8x4! thats enough to knock out 2 boats... planking material from shops £2.50 for 5m x5mm strips so £10 there  so far ya up to £22. GPR if your going to use it .. further £20-40 pending on matting and amount, then sails £10 for a kite shop .. only real expense is radio gear decent servos and receiver £50 job lot of ebay maybe. then make a keel or buy one £10 paints.. £20 .. total.... £150 roughly.. how much is the micro Victoria?

remeber building it yourself means not looking for spares when it goes wrong.... and when something does go wrong you know every inch of your boat and will be able to fix it better, not only that you can spread the cost of your build over time lowering that lump sum in one hit   :-))
Got all of these bits as I fly model planes...

Prophet

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:33:04 pm »

run outta excuses not to build one now then  %% %% %% %% :D :D :D :} :} :} :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) %% %% {-) {-) {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.