Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yacht Deck Planking Caulking  (Read 10535 times)

ianb

• Full Mayhemer
Yacht Deck Planking Caulking
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:52:40 pm »

Working my way slowly through the Metcalf Moonbeam kit. I stained and sanding sealed the plywood decking, but it still looked like stained plywood! Not very happy with it, the plywood had small voids on the finished surface and a rather wild grain pattern.

I obtained 1mm x 5mm white wood, armed myself with lots of strong but thin (0.15mm) double sided tape and a 0.5 mm spacer, and planked on top of the supplied plywood. I intend to finish the deck in clear lacquer, no stain, so it should turn out slightly yellow. But I am stuck on the caulking colour. Black seems a bit to utilitarian and work-boatish. If I use wood filler/glue it will really hold everything together, but the wood filler I can find is a very very light pink. I tried it on a small sample and lacquered it. It only looks so-so to my eyes.

What colour should I be aiming for? I can attach a photo, but my batting average is not good with photos.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ian

KEMO

Re: Yacht Deck Planking Caulking
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:25:23 pm »

Hiya,
      try Ronseal wood filler, it comes in a couple of different shades, like you I did not like the printed decks on my Milford Star so made my own using limewood strip, I used the Dark walnut for the caulking and it looks good, there are lighter shades that you could try.

Keith.

ianb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 12:16:40 pm »

Keith,

Thank you for your interest in my problem. Unfortunately I can't obtain Ronseal here, but I did find a type of wood filler in a medium browm. Applied it, sanded everything off and it looks good. Brown is the right colour.

Ian

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:44:49 pm »

Most vessels even modern yachts with wooden decks have black caulking But some have white caulking... most yachts these days make a feacher of their calking by making it wider than the traditional caulking
Freebooter :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

vintagent

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:49:00 am »

I always use black stained stringing from the same source as the veneers I use.  Caulking traditionally is black, very black, as it's molten pitch payed in from a ladle.

For lighter caulking use something like box or lime stringing.  Don't forget a yacht's deck has planking that follows the covering boards and joggles into a king plank down the centre. Motor boats traditionally have straight planks parellel with the king plank.

Regards,
Vintagent

bbdave

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 02:26:40 pm »

I'd stick with black as it's the correct colour i just mix black paint with the glue it's grey to start but black when dry

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 03:42:01 pm »

Dave, what kind of paint do you mix with the glue.
Acrylic? Powder paint?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:55:22 pm »

The following method is the cleanest, quickest and most realistic as far as I'm concerned:-

" Run the tip of a permanent black marker pen along one edge of the plank/s. Mark  planks from the underside to minimise the risk of getting unwanted marks on the visible face of the plank. For a fine caulking line mark only one edge of adjoining planks, for a heavier line mark both edges of adjoining planks. When marking end grain first seal grain with dope or sanding sealer to prevent the stain creeping into the grain.
Use a soft pencil if a lighter shade of caulk is required."

A brilliant result can be achieved after no more than a couple of minutes practice on scrap oddments of stripwood.

I personally find that Lime stripwood is by far the best material to use for planking; it is grain free, conforms well to curvatures and is not too yellowish when sealed.

Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

bbdave

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:39:01 pm »

Dave, what kind of paint do you mix with the glue.
Acrylic? Powder paint?

Normally humbrol enamal or whatever is at hand

Dave

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 03:29:54 am »

Normally humbrol enamal or whatever is at hand

Dave

Thx  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Landlocked

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:07:34 am »

I glued black construction paper along one edge of planks.  Made the strips a little wider than my deck thickness and sanded them flush once the glue had dried.  Planks were 3mm by 3mm.

Rakiura

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 06:32:23 pm »

Try WEST 423 Graphite powder. It allegedly dries black. Mix with WEST 105 resin to a toothpast consistency and apply in the gaps between the planks. Scrape it flat while still wet and then sand smooth when dry; filling any small gaps later. I used  brown 407 faring microballoons with spruce planks and it came up nice. Also natural WEST as caulking with mahogany planks on a cutter I am finisihing off. I coated both decks with natural west afterwards, and then used satin polyurethane varnish. The WEST coat darkens the wood a little, so you might skip that and just varnish it if you want the planks to be light colored.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3763

Rakiura

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:34:26 pm »

A few boatbuilders of high class yachts and yacht tenders are now using Aluminium deck caulking- you could replicate this by filling the seams with Humbrol silver enamel and sanding flush- just a suggestion.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

farrow

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:41 pm »

When I was a nipper, posh yachts used marine glue with a touch of linseed oil to make it stay pliable, the colour was a toffee colour much like a caramac chocolate bar. That was what we used to caulk the sailing barge Anglia's deck with. The owner of the barge came from a well to do family and he treated his barge as a yacht.

Landlocked

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 01:21:18 am »

Just spotted these styrene products.  Have not used them.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/7175_&_7176_caulking.htm

Landlocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.