The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

Pond yacht renovation help requested

<< < (3/3)

des321:
Thanks for that Frank,
I'm sorry if I have been a  bit slow on the uptake but I generally get there in the end. I am fairly new to this hobby and still have a lot to learn. I also find plenty of different opinions on many subjects, which is good. Ultimately we all find a solution that works for us. I agree with you about retaining the wooden outside of the hull. After a lifetime of being educated by paint manufacturers that I needed primer, undercoat and then topcoat I just wanted to be sure I had understood you correctly. I was most pleased to hear you use a brush. I hate spraying. I will follow your advice.
Thank you      Des

hmsantrim:
Hi Des.
         RE:  I'm sorry if I have been a bit slow on the uptake but I generally get there in the end.
                 I also have that condition  {-)....and thats even after 40 years of all kinds of modelling....

I try to make my deliberations on a subject as clear and direct as possible without being technical.  I re furbished a wood hulled
           marblehead @1982.  paint stripped the planked hull which was in perfect condition, then sanded it to a smooth finish.

I gloss painted below the waterline red above was a medium blue. I finished the hull off with a white coachline tape
               waterline you get this for cars in halfords. This sets off the hull by dividing the two colours.

if you look at the link for the forum you can see what I am on about. Alas I dont have the yacht I did all the TLC on as the
              boat shed it was kept it got trashed a few years later BxxxxxxS.

I would nitro the hull first, then sand it, then if you are going to glass inside do that next, I would do the planing for the
              deck next. Look at the deck supports acces for rudder and radio gear etc  I dont see a mast step in the pix which says the
              mast was deck stepped though I prefer the mast step in the hull as its a more robust set up.    get all the building work and
               messy stuff out the way first then go for the painting

cheers Frank

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24944.0                             

newtried:
 Hi, Ignore  the newtried bit I,m pete really maidenhead based with a  1950s odd!  motor yacht 56" L  14" beam, any one in maidenhead  mutual help? peter@trayte.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version