Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flexi drive help  (Read 3409 times)

AdeH

Flexi drive help
« on: August 09, 2010, 08:50:54 am »

Hello fellow modellers.
I have to declare first off that i am not a marine modeller but in fact an aero modeller (helicopters) in need of help! :}

I have trawled the internet  for research and have ended up thinking marine modellers are my salvation!!

I am trying to find a flexi drive system, i.e flexi drive cable, teflon tube and brass tube combination.
I seem to be able to get one in the USA, but surely we have a dealer here....don't we??? :-))

Can anyone please offer advice as to where to get one.

Oh and it needs to be 45"!!

Many thanks in advance

Adrian

omra85

Re: Flexi drive help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:32 am »

That is one LONG shaft  :o
Give Jon Wright at Jotika a call
http://europe.shipwrightshop.com/index1.html
Cheers
Danny

AdeH

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:37 am »

Thanks Danny
Will do.
Fingers crossed!

Ade

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:07:45 pm »

if there's an issue with a 'proper' flexi-drive - could a piano wire drive be an alternative?

BJ

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:50:20 pm »

a flexi drive system, Can anyone please offer advice as to where to get one.
Oh and it needs to be 45"!!

Other sources are:
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/ BUT not sure if they would make you a special that long.
OR
http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=44 perhaps more chance there of a special

gyronuts

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:15:22 pm »

Hi,
     I have a steam launch ( krick victoria) designed for a vertical boiler However, I have  a horizontal boiler.
 problem is that i need to move the engine toward the stern maybe 4". May even have to remove or move the superstructure aft.
The propshaft is therefore to long. The only way to sort out the problem is to replace the propshaft with a shorter one.I would need to move the drive up( vertically) by approx 1 and1/2 inches. Would the flexible drives discussed here do the trick?
Any other constructive suggestions welcomed!
Thanks .Bill

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:23:12 pm »

You could use a 1:1 belt drive or gearbox (I would use helical gears for the latter), with the former being preferable to preserve the silence of steam.

AdeH

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:48:35 am »

Hi Guys
Thanks for the updates and advice.

To Grasshopper, Its an idea, but I think it might be too thin I need 4.7mm minimum diameter. Worth investigating anyway.

To BJ I called Prestwich and emailed them already .....no one bothered to reply!!

And finally to gyro nuts, I am not conversed in your marine world my friend but my flex is doing something similar....horizontal then dropping buy 2 inches to then rise in a big curve upwards so it suggests it would do the trick. But there are probably others on this forum better placed than me.

Just watch the direction of drive. I didn't on my first one and thats why I need a new one!!!

Cheers ALL

Adrian :}

BJ

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:54:11 am »

To BJ I called Prestwich and emailed them already .....no one bothered to reply!!

/quote]

Personally I would ring TONY at MMS. Go to his web site http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/shop/contact_us.php  and there you will find his phone number and email contact. My suggestion is that you talk to him since I have ALWAYS found him extremely helpful.

AdeH

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 12:58:33 pm »

Thanks BJ!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »

Would a speedometer drive cable be man enough for the job?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

BJ

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:55 pm »

Would a speedometer drive cable be man enough for the job?
Probably would be OK. Possibly he would only need one section of "flexi" to cover the change in planes and then steel shaft for the rest of the length. Nothing quite like a CMB 90 for the grunt in the front in a "Windermere steam" launch %%

omra85

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 11:54:24 pm »

Dave (Prestwich) is away at the World Champs which have just finished (should be back later this week).
You can also try Mark Copley, who can make 3/16 or 1/4 flexis to any length - www.mcopracing.co.uk
You also need to think about what end on the shaft you will need. This will depend on the type of prop/drive you are having.
Most flexis are used for surface drive (with dog-drive props) whereas submerged drive props are usually threaded (M5).  You can use surface drive props submerged but they are not as efficient and you will need to work out what size is required.
Cheers
Danny

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.