Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member - New build  (Read 5167 times)

ray t

New member - New build
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:26:57 am »

Hi all, I was looking for a 'new members' thread so that I could say hi and introduce myself but couldn't seem to locate one.  My name is Ray and I have only just started to build my first boat.  Although, admittedly, this will be a boat for angling purposes and not for show etc like you guys.  I have been building and flying r/c helicopters for around 6 years but have never had any experience with boats.

So far, I have had the hull made from fiber.  Here are a couple of pics:

Now I want to be able to turn the craft on it's own axis and I want it to be able to travel through the water at a descent speed.  I am thinking maybe two 540 or 600 speed motors each with a Viper Marine 15 esc (or 20?).  I have a 6-ch 2.4ghz system to run it.  This way, I could simple drive it like a tank I suppose.  Left stick fwd and right stick bck to turn right etc...

Would this work or can you guys advise any better componets that will work with this hull?

Bit of a long winded 1st post, but thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to talking to you guys in the future.

Regards

Ray

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New member - New build
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:53:59 pm »

Hi Ray, With twin motors, instead of tank steering as you describe, you could always go for ACTion electronics twin esc and mixer in one 'box'. See Trader's section, and keep your eyes open for posts by FLJ, the ACTion man himself. I've used Dave's electronics for years, and Craig Talbot's before him, with never a problem that couldn't be sorted with a phone call, always helpful. No connection, just a very satisfied customer, HTH.

Danny

ray t

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:20:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply Danny.  I stumbled across the 'Action Electronics' site a few days ago when I was doing a little research.  It is a great idea, however, by only slowing the motor on the inside of the turn as the mixer does, my boat will only vere in that direction.  Whereas having two motors running off seperate channels, I will be able to turn my boat within its own axis (I think).

What do you think of the motors, any suggestions to makes etc.  I was looking at the 'Clash' motors on fleabay, but have heard some bad reviews on them.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »

Ray have a word with Dave of ACTion he will tell you which motors and which electronics will be best for you.

He's a very helpful chappy and his service is excellent.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ray t

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:20:41 pm »

Just emailed Dave, thanks.  Hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.   Maybe I would just be better buying a couple of 600's for that extra bit of ompphh if it's needed.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:52:45 pm »

Just emailed Dave, thanks.  Hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.   
Now that  would be shoddy service........ I replied ten minutes ago, Ray. Forget the Speed 600s - it's a bait boat, not a fast electric. More speed = More current drain = Less running time.
Softly softly catchy carpy.......  %)
FLJ

ray t

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:00:04 pm »

Sorry Dave, assumed you would be winding down for the evening and not replying to dumb questions  ;)  Thanks for the reply.  Definately gave me a little food for thought.  So with the mixer I will be able to power fwd the left motor and reverse the right so that the boat spins on it's axis to the right and vice versa!!  I did have a read through the more info pages, but to be honest got a little lost, lol.  Does the P94 have a BEC?

ray t

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:08:00 pm »

Also, you state brass prop and not plastic.  Why is this Dave?  All the shop bought bait boats that run props, seem to have plastic

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 09:09:29 pm »

Sorry Dave, assumed you would be winding down for the evening and not replying to dumb questions  ;)  Thanks for the reply.  Definately gave me a little food for thought.  So with the mixer I will be able to power fwd the left motor and reverse the right so that the boat spins on it's axis to the right and vice versa!!  I did have a read through the more info pages, but to be honest got a little lost, lol.  Does the P94 have a BEC?
Hi Ray the P94 does have a BEC and is an amazing gizmo. You can have a choice of several different modes and it would be ideal for your boat.

I have one in my Al Khubar tug and another in my Sentinel customs cutter and they are great. Lots of the chaps on the forum have them. When Dave wakes up he will tell you himself. :-))

ray t

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 09:28:45 pm »

It does look a great piece of kit.  But I'm trying to figure if I justify spending the £80 on it, when I can buy 2 Viper 20amp ESC's from MTroniks for £50 that will suffice  {:-{

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:01 pm »

Sorry meant to say no BEC. The BEC is part of the P92 power distribution board.

ray t

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »

uhhmmm, kinda wanted a built in BEC to save me needing a dedicated rx batt. pack

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:52 pm »

Add the mixer (anybodys) to the price for the Vipers, you are in the same ball park area for cost, but with the "all in one" solution, installation is vastly simplified, as is any arguing process when one bit of electronics decides to disagree with its new mates.
Dave does firmly believe that BECs are the work of him from the pit, but in spite of that one does appear on his distribution board as DickyD mentioned, and, at a pinch, they are one of the simplest devices to learn about making your own goodies that there is.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 11:09:11 pm »

Dave does firmly believe that BECs are the work of him from the pit,
No, Doc - only when they're fitted inside  a speed controller.
Ref the price of two Potted Plastic Pigs c/w a P94, you're comparing apples with eggs.
Having said that, no purchase is compulsory - suit yourself.

Sold 38 of them to bait boaters so far........

FLJ

ray t

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:28 am »

Ok, so just a little recap.  With the P94, to drive fwd I would only need left stick fwd and for reverse, left stick back and both motors will run.  Then to turn?  Is it like a car tx, just turn using the right stick left and right.  Can I spin and vere on the same run or do I need to flick a dip switch on the module to choose between the two?

ray t

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 09:46:01 am »

Think I've just found the answer.  Mode 3 appears to allow you to spin the boat on its axis.  However, why does it say I need a rudder servo?  I am not planning on having a rudder  {:-{

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 10:07:41 am »

Think I've just found the answer.  Mode 3 appears to allow you to spin the boat on its axis.  However, why does it say I need a rudder servo?  I am not planning on having a rudder  {:-{
Your bait boat probably doesn't need a rudder but other models will - hence its inclusion on the diagram.
FLJ

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 10:10:28 am »

You need a rudder input to tell the mixer which way and how hard to turn.
Up to about 1/2 rudder travel the inner motor will slow down.
More than 1/2 travel and the inner motor will go astern.

Here is a video of a 10 foot plus warship hull and when she spins you can see the propwash.
This is all run off 2 x Channels on the transmitter, 1 throttle, 1 rudder.

http://media.photobucket.com/video/prinz+eugen/shipmate600/Picture031.flv?o=

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ray t

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:55 am »

Cheers gents thats cleared it up a little.  I just assumed as it was on the diagram I would need to include a servo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.