Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freelance Tug  (Read 6777 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Freelance Tug
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:43:56 pm »

My 3 youngest grandsons, aged 10, 8 and 5, who live in Sydney, have requested that I build them a pusher tug, just in case their other boat (which I built) breaks down mid river. I thought that I had the Glynn Guest designed "Jenny Sue 2" plans, but they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth {:-{ so I decided to build a freelance model, "out of my head", not that there's much in there :} .

I had previously built an enlarged version of JS2, so at least I had it as a guide. This one will be about 600mm long and 230mm wide. I cut the sides from 9mm clear pine, and sheeted the bottom of the hull with 1.5mm ply, which is where I'm up to now.

It will be a very simple boat with one motor, but I'm going to try a home made Kort nozzle made from PVC pipe. I've trimmed a 40mm prop on my lathe so it will just clear the inside of the pipe, and will fit a rudder behind the nozzle, as the Kort will be fixed. It will be interesting to see if it works  :-)

Peter.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Freelance Tug
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:24:43 am »

I suspect it will be a pig going astern! Rather like a motor lighter I designed/built some years ago. But good luck.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:30:32 am »

Come on Grandad....or....Pa....or..... Pop [Peter]...or whoever you are called  {-)

In five years time the 10YO old will be 15....the 8YO will be 13 & the 5YO will be about 10  %%

Your real current challange is to build THREE  near identical pushers now........... >>:-( Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »

I suspect it will be a pig going astern! Rather like a motor lighter I designed/built some years ago. But good luck.

I think you're probably right, but it should be fine for the boys.

Derek, they won't want 3 identical boats, I know, because I offered them another one the same as their present boat, but the offer was refused, they wanted something different  O0

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:53:40 pm »

Peter, Disregard the comments about going backwards (astern) and heed the words of Julia the PM go forward, we are moving forwards  %) %) O0 O0 {-) {-)
So forwards only thou must go  ;) ;)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:38:21 pm »

After a long break from my shed - we have been travelling in our caravan - I've made some more progress on my grandsons' tug. The hull is finished and work is underway on the superstructure. HDR Towing comes from the boys' names, Harry, Dylan & Riley, and was printed on my computer on clear decal paper.

The building deadline has been extended until late February 2011, when we will be going to Sydney to visit our son and his family, so I don't think I will have a problem finishing it on time  :-) It's been a very simple build, as I didn't want anything too detailed for small boys. They were very happy when they saw it a few weeks ago, when all the family was here for our daughter's wedding.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:36 am »

Hi Peter
Our groups rescue Pusher tug has a kort nozzel and can turn in its own length so not to worry to much about going astern.
It also has a working fire monitor that can push it along in emergencies if the prop is weeded.

brianB6

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:03:03 am »

I am having difficulty posting the photo

brianB6

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 03:04:45 am »

Hi Martin
Now it has posted the same photo 3 times.
Can you remove 2 please
Brian

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 03:51:02 am »

Now it has posted the same photo 3 times.

It looks 3 times as good, Brian {-)

I am keeping mine simple, that way there's less to be broken by small fingers, who live 800km away from me, so I can't quickly repair any breakages O0

Peter.

rathikrishna

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 01:22:02 pm »

WOW..nice topic..and nice machines...

tugs46

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:08 am »

Coming along nice there Peter! :-))

Brian:  Very Nice Pusher

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 10:29:38 pm »

I have been very slack lately, and not much progress has been made on the boys' tug. It's been too hot in my shed - 46 Celsius when I opened it this morning, although it will cool down now the doors are open, so I'd better get a move on as the deadline is fast approaching O0

I have managed to finish the basic structure, but still need to fit some details, such as handrails. As I said earlier, I don't want to have too much detail that may get broken by small fingers but, on the other hand, I don't want it to look too bare, either.

Peter.

rathikrishna

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 05:44:01 am »

WOOOWW..its great...

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:27:01 pm »

I finished it yesterday by adding hand rails and life rings.

Peter.

tugboyben

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »

hi peter

your grandkids are very looky you may need to build a barge for them to push or tow hope you will post some pictures of them having fun with there new  pusher

kind regards Jason

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 12:03:01 am »

Jason at the moment I think that they will be quite happy just sailing the tug in the Lane Cove River, in Sydney. However, if they want a barge then I'm sure they could twist my arm and convince me to build them one :-)

We are going to Sydney on 18th February, so will take the boat with us. I will take some photos of its maiden Sydney voyage  O0

Peter.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 12:52:08 pm »

I dooo like that Peter. A very 'tidy' build, with a lot of thought gone into it.  :-))

I hope my grandchildren appreciate mine even though they are girls.   %).

Cheers,

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 09:48:45 pm »

Thanks, Ken, but I don't know about the "lot of thought" part - thinking gives me a headache, so I try to avoid it like the plague {-) {-) It was more a case of "make it up as you go along"  O0

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 05:29:47 am »

At last, some photos of the new boat on the water. It had its first club outing today, before I take it to Sydney later this week. It performed above expectations, including carrying out 3 rescues, one of which involved pushing a 20kg model of HMS Hood about 35 metres to shore, sideways, after the battleship lost power. I think my grandsons will be pleased with it.

Peter.

seahunt56

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 06:19:26 pm »

Nice build Peter.  Your Grand kids will love it.  They are lucky to have a guy like you to build them such a nice boat.  Here is a pusher that I built a number of years ago, Steve

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 04:13:46 am »

The tug has been delivered to its new owners in Sydney, and had its first outing in the next door neighbour's pool. The following weekend we took it to the Lane Cove River, in the Lane Cove National Park, where the Fullers Bridge pylons acted as a ready made steering course for the boys to practice their navigation skills. They passed their test with flying colours, and the tug, together with the other boat I had previously built them, attracted a crowd of onlookers.

Needless to say, the boys were very happy with the new addition to their fleet :-)

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.