Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the bigger dictator build diary  (Read 3973 times)

steamboatbob

the bigger dictator build diary
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:24:56 am »

Hi guys and well what have we install for you this time round  :-)

as posted before i have gotten as far as i could with my little dictator and i was getting annoyed with the limited space inside the hull so as they say "bigger is better"  :} i grabbed all the plans and put them on my scanner at home and scaled them up 189% don't ask me why it just seemed like a good number and my scanner did not do 200% and i am also a very tight "xxxxx" (I Must have been Scottish in a previous life  %)  )and i did not want to pay for a printer to do it for me.

basically i have cut all the ribs out of 2mm ply the transom will be doubled later on in the build to make it stronger, the sponson sides are cut from 3mm ply and the rest will be done with either 0.8 ply or 2mm.

Now as this is a first for me doing a hull from scratch with no plans as such as the templates of the sponsons are the only thing i have used from the previous model. so please offer advice and such and i will duly take it on board or file it away in the recycling section of my office/study/shed/haven.

this is what it looks like ATM. i have foam in the background of the pic to fill the sponsons with and enough ply to sink a ship :)

and as you can see i haven't gotten very far but it is looking very good to me ATM I'm still deciding if I will skin it with a veneer or paint it but the usual for me will be to resin the timber as always.

Enjoy  :}

bulldog1966

Re: the bigger dictator build diary
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:40:54 pm »

look good when finished

steamboatbob

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:46:57 am »

OK weekend has finished and it is time to show ya what i did

firstly i glued the main box sides to the sponson sides both of these are made in 3mm. and recut all the ribs in 3mm then took a little time to make sure it would all fit together nicely. and also cut some 1.5mm ply to size for the hull bottom.

please note with this build as i am not working off any plans i will not be gluing it together for a little bit just yet. as all the central ribs need to be cut into U shapes to allow for hardware.

I will be placing the motor and electronics as far back as possible so i can use the battery as a ballast as i have plenty of room to move around in the hull.

just a few numbers to throw at ya

distance between sponsons = 117mm
tip to tail = 705mm
total width = 290mm
central hull height = 70mm at its tallest point 45mm at the rear
distance from bottom of hull to bottom of sponson 25mm for 450mm then it taperes up to the front

and here are a few piccies for you guys to look at and please give any criticism if ya like as i am as they say "driving blind"

steamboatbob

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:17:00 pm »

Well after looking at it wistfully i decided to do a little work on my big Richard  :}

the work done now to it is skinning the top section of the main hull and reinforcing it with epoxy, also gluing some foam in the sponsons and tomorrow i will be making the sponson skins and hopefully gluing that on

here are the pics

Feel free to ask any question or post some constructive criticism

i have referenced the size of it by placing a 600mm rule next to the boat and on the other side my little dictator

gwa84

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »

excellent been wondering when this will get going again good look with ti and keep us posted  :-))

phillnjack

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 01:08:47 am »

Looking very good so far. :-))
You have to kep the pics comming, as this will give others a chance to see what to do if they build one.

what colour will this one be when finnished ? and what motor etc ?

phill

steamboatbob

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 12:51:54 am »

i will keep the colour a secret for the moment as i have an evil plan  8)

but i ended up skinning the top of the sponsons overnight and hopefully, with no new years plans on the agenda as yet, the rest of the sponsons will be done by tomorrow (I HOPE %) ).

but knowing the wife she has made plans already that she thinks she has told me about and expect me to remember all about it (Married Bliss)

on another not i gave up looking for a hotwire cutter and got an old beltsander belt that was 80 grit and attached it to a bit of mdf and use that to get the foam right. Pva glue will adhere extremely well to the foam giving it a very tough skin

more piccies very soon

cheers

BoB

steamboatbob

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 02:16:46 am »

Well i had my way last night (no not what you think so get your mind out of the gutter <*<) and got into some serious building  O0

i cut the 2 sponson tops out of 0.8 mm ply and glued them into place I use tightbond 3 PVA as it is a waterproof PVA and it is extremely strong after it has cured generally it dries to a workable condition after 1 hour and cures after 24 hours, one good thing about it, is it soaks into the polystyrene foam and makes a very hard surface. i have also cut the bottom of the sponsons out of 1.5mm ply but have not glued them in place as yet. I have decided not to step the hull as i really cannot be bothered .

I have purchased a watercooled motor mount, 2600kv brushless motor 540 can size, but still don't know what hardware i will be putting on it at this stage in the game, weather it will be an in-line rudder or an offset rudder, i have not decided, but if anyone can enlighten me as to the difference it would be much appreciated. :-))  ,

and progress as of this morning

top view showing the skinned sponsons

bottom showing the shaped foam

phillnjack

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:02:51 pm »

but still don't know what hardware i will be putting on it at this stage in the game,
weather it will be an in-line rudder or an offset rudder, i have not decided, but if anyone can enlighten me
as to the difference it would be much appreciated.

inline is behind the prop.......offset is to one side      :P

sorry but couldnt resist it ok2

keep up the very good work

and ill take a guess at bright yellow paintwork.  {:-{

phill.......

steamboatbob

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:14:56 am »

and ill take a guess at bright yellow paintwork.  {:-{

phill.......

WRONG, srry coun't resist  %)

but have purchased an inrunner motor 2881KV and an inline rudder hardware kit from HK for $50AUD

steamboatbob

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 01:48:52 am »

colour will be announced soon :) and yes i have already made my mind up about the colour so the poll is just a little fun

steamboatbob

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »

colour will be announced in 2 weeks on the 22nd of jan so continue your voting just for a little fun :)

steamboatbob

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:44:23 am »

OK 1 Person got it right  yup Stainless Steel is the look im going for just to try something different im going to laminate the top of the sponsons and the top section of the hull with .06mm stainless steel and have a blue or red underbelly

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 05:37:35 am »

"Stainless Steel".... How you going to achieve that?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steamboatbob

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 05:48:03 am »

easy mate

you can get a very thin laminate that has an extremely thin layer of stainless steel looks fantastic but scratches like no tomorrow and as i have some in supply i want to try it out the .6mm laminate is glued on using contact glue and a 10 mm border of epoxy so that it doesnt delaminate in the water

Dont worry martin i will show in pictures how it will be acheived :) "I am a cabinetmaker after all and laminating is second nature to me"

steamboatbob

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 06:01:57 am »

this is the stuff i will be using

and a little glimpse at what i will be doing with it

steamboatbob

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »

oh well skinning the sponsons is taking a little longer than origionally thaught finally i got the bottoms finished off today and cut the outer side of the sponsons so hopefully by the end of this week i will either have glued them on or have really considered glueing them on  :embarrassed:

phillnjack

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:56:10 pm »

Lets hope this dont end up like the DELOREANS  %)

This boat should look very cool when all finnished, on the water will look like a chrome zone

Nice and different finnish.

i would like a pound for each person who sees it thinks its polished alloy...keep a tally on that one   ha ha

phill :-))

steamboatbob

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 08:26:30 am »

well chrome is a possibility using similar laminate !!!!!!!     :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.