Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/48 steam tug - Rebuild of RTR "Seaport Workboat"  (Read 23379 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: 1/48 steam tug - Rebuild of RTR "Seaport Workboat"
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 06:56:54 pm »

Very impressive Edward, makes mine look a bit rough
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 03:14:45 pm »

Finally, some "on-water" photos (mostly taken on the local gravel pit)!

karls

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:21 pm »

That is a fantastic looking tug well done :-)) also a good read :-)

pugwash

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 12:27:35 pm »

Yes these new super tugs may be highly efficient but there is more style with the older tugs.
I like it, you have done a very nice job Edward

Geoff

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 12:38:06 pm »

What a fantastic transformation showing what you can make from a RTR model and a superb example for us all to think about.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 05:51:03 pm »

Thanks for the comments! This model hasn't been on the water for quite a while as I've given up on cheap RTR radio. But I'm planning to refit it with proper radio (keeping the original motor, prop and Kort) sometime in the next few weeks. Once this is done I'll be able to sail "Westwood" at Black Park along with the other club boats (it might make a useful rescue boat for my sailing models)
I'd been meaning to get round to this for ages, but was put off by the necessity of buying a new radio + ESC. However, I've now made a "modular" system allowing a RX + ESC to be quickly swapped between models, so I'll only need a couple of each for all of my models that use two-channel radio (I'll post some info on this system on the forum when I've taken some photos)

I plan to refit my USCG cutter in the same way eventually, but this will be a more difficult job, as it has no rudder installed and the cylindrical sockets for the original RTR motor pods will make it difficult to install the rudder tiller arm + control rod.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 10:34:15 am »

If you visited the Black Park show last Sunday you might have spotted "Westwood" on the water or on the display tables - I've finally fitted it with a proper radio (using the "radio/ESC module" setup discussed here - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25758.0) . I kept the original motor + coupling, prop and Kort, fitting a proper servo in place of the 3-position magnetic one originally fitted (I drilled a hole in the plastic disc on top of the "rudder post" to use it as a tiller arm)

The boat runs quite nicely and has a reasonable run time with the original 9.6v ni-cad pack, as the motor isn't running "flat out" all the time. It's also a lot more stable on the water for the same reason (lowering the battery holder and removing the original RX, installed above deck level, also helped with this) The only problem was a slight list to port - not sure why as all the ballast + radio gear is centred in the hull and there are no heavy metal deck fittings in an off-centre location. This should be easy to fix with a bit of extra lead ballast on the starboard side.

Anyway, I'll get some photos up soon! I hope to refit the USCG cutter soon, but this will be a bit more of a challenge especially if I attempt to fit it with the prototypical twin rudders!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.