Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Letter decals  (Read 7341 times)

john1951

Letter decals
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:49:50 am »

Can anyone suggest the best letter decals ( hate that American title, use to call them transfers !), which I could use on my boat ?
I've seen a few self adhesive types, but I've always prefered the water slide variety.
Whatever, what do you guys recommend ?
                                                                         John

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Letter decals
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:47 am »

I always use the vinyl ones now, far superior.

I get mine from Barry's Model Lettering, excellent prompt service and a helpful bloke.

http://www.modellettering.com/index.asp
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john1951

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:15:36 pm »

Thanks Richard, those look just the job !
                                                             John

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 08:23:32 am »

or BECC at http://www.becc.co.uk - another good quality outfit.

Barry M

furball

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:26:49 am »

Does anyone know if you can overlay two of these vinyl letters so you get a drop shadow, i.e. a black character down first and the same character in another colour half over the top?

Or does the thickness of the vinyl preclude this (talking about 8mm/10mm letters here)

(I've never used them before)

Cheers

Lance

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:47:01 am »

They are not that thick, should not be a problem. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:39:37 pm »

I always thought you couldn't stick anything to Vinyl.    %)

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »

BECC (and Barry's Model Lettering?) produce white lettering with a black shadow.

Barry M

rathikrishna

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:04 pm »

Good after noon respected friends..DECALS...yes it was a great headache to me when i started making models from the age of 7.as my helplessness i started painting my own letters and pics on my crafts, and i masterd it. but yes all we know it will not be perfect, esp: while copiying.i was wandering for good decals to all known places..but no hope..yes time passes, i got my first personal computer in 1996, and it was 2000, i got my new PC, with P4. so the photo shop.now i know i can make any decals and pics according to my need...i will share you the simple idea to make good decals..

rathikrishna

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 12:28:05 pm »

to make good decals you must need a good computer, equiped with photoshop software.from 2000 to this time ihave compleated more than 300+ models all in scale in to ships , boats , aircrafts, and all other inc robots. i will make all decals for me myself.how..?  yes its simple.open photo shop. then keep your model near to you.you must need a metal straight scale for measuring.first of all measure the length and width of the place, on your craft, that you are willing to fix decal.then make a box, in photoshop, according to your size, in option NEW. for eg, 3cms height, 1 cms width.now you can type letters, or drag picture, that down loaded from net, or can scan from photographs in to the box...

rathikrishna

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 12:30:25 pm »

now choose an A4 size from the option, and drag your finished box in to the A4.the resolution of the both selection must be same..after doing all needfull you can simply print it out by a high quality printer...

rathikrishna

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 12:37:05 pm »

now how to apply.. yes we know a decal made out of paper will not stay in water...so we have a remedy...first of all cut your letters and pics with sharp Xacto knife,and keep it with you..dilute mat black, enamel (latex) based paint, and just touch the outlines of the letters and pics with a nice brush.this will eliminate the white colour of the paper at edges.wait for dry. now dilute  white glue with a little water.stick  all letters with this. wait for dry..now you must coat all of your letters with same diluted white glue, and after keep your craft in front of a fan..now its dried,and time to water proof..take some CLEAR VARNISH, again enamel based, ( for brushing),or NC(nitro cellulose) based for spray.give a good covering all over your craft...wait for dry...just polish it with some apropriate polishes..now..awesome craft..here my new decal for my rescue craft..its almost finished..

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:28 pm »

Does anyone know if you can overlay two of these vinyl letters so you get a drop shadow, i.e. a black character down first and the same character in another colour half over the top?
Or does the thickness of the vinyl preclude this (talking about 8mm/10mm letters here)
(I've never used them before) Cheers, Lance

I've done it on a couple of models with letters from Barrys Model Lettering with no rpoblems. Dave.  :-))

Lord Bungle

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 11:40:59 am »

I do mine similar to rathikrishna, I print mine on a clear self adhesive vinyl I get in a4 sheets from a local computer shop, I pay £3 for 5 sheets and use word and gimp (gimp is a free photoshop style program, google it :) ) I wait until I have a full sheet of printing needed, print them out (some printers you have to carefully tape a sheet of plan paper to the back of the transparency or the printer won't see it) cut them to shape with a knife, or scissors is its large enough, and stick on the model, I then dust a few light coats of clear over them once fitted to make them waterproof.

rathikrishna

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 01:11:28 pm »

Lord..its nice..will you give me its good details about the printing method..?  yes..i need ample of decals and insignias, as i am going to resign my job,to be a full time model maker..its a request...if you please..Rathi

tubby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »

Hi,
The vinyl lettering can be positioned on top of other vinyl letters to give a Shadow or drop as it is called,
we do it all the time with lifeboat nameboards, One thing to remember is that vinyl will really stick to other vinyl, so if you do not get the position correct
you may have problems removing the lettering stuck to the top,

Barry

rathikrishna

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 07:41:36 am »

Ohh will you explain it once..?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.