Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fireboat "Elliot"  (Read 3523 times)

GG

Fireboat "Elliot"
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »

Thought it was about time I made use of all those extra functions on my new transmitter.  A model based on one of the modern harbour fireboats has been floating around as a possible project for a few years and looked to be ideal for the new model.
It is about 1/32 scale with a length of 25", beam 8" and weight of 11 pounds.  Construction is from DIY store lumber and plywood, the bow and stern being build up with scrap balsa and sanded to produce some some curves in an otherwise angular hull shape.  The superstructure and bulwarks were made from that wonderfully cheap, if not free, material; cardboard. 
Power is two mild 540 motors with transmitter "elevon" mixing to give both propulsion and steering.  A car windscreen washer pump provides the water for the three monitors, one being fitted to a platform that can be elevated and rotated.  Two other transmitter switches are used for a pair of spotlights and a siren/flashing lights effect.  I could add a couple of extra working functions but space is getting tight and the wiring quite messy.
The handling is much better than expected and it can be held on a course with only minor movements of the "rudder" stick.  Great fun to spin the model with full rudder (motors working in opposite directions so the model does not go anywhere) whilst spraying everthing around it.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fireboat "Elliot"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:38:13 pm »

That looks great, Glyn.  A very smart model.   :-)) :-))

Will you be showing us some of the construction pictures ?    (please  :-)) )

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

GG

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »

OK Keny
          This is the basic hull with hull bottom and deck cut from lumber, plywood sides glued to edges then the bow and stern made from laminations of scrap balsa.  The whole mess is then sanded into some semblance of a hull shape.

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:27:08 am »

Wonderful concept Glyn.  :-)) Any thoughts on when the plans might be published?

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:26:45 am »

Great work, something everyone has a good chance of finishing.

Can't help but think that it looks really familiar...  {:-{

Maybe, one of the boats in this picture... but probably it's just because it's a fire boat.

%)

GG

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:02:51 am »

Andy, 
Plans with the Editor of Model Boats, publication some some time in 2011 I expect.

Umi,
The new LA fireboat was part of the inspiration for this model, which might explain the familiarity.

Glynn Guest

cosmic

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 01:12:08 pm »

Glyn, looking really good!
I'm interested in the figures you're using. Can you tell me what scale they are, and from where you got them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.