Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck timber for Atlantis  (Read 3579 times)

Brian Roberts

Deck timber for Atlantis
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:09:42 pm »

I'll be starting on an Atlantis build this Autumn and I need to know the most suitable timber for the deck, how much I'll need and the best way of attaching it to the plastic hull.
I'm looking to you knowledgeable lot for help which will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Brian

Prophet

Re: Deck timber for Atlantis
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »

I'm assuming that your on about planking the deck? in that case you will want planking material, i get mine from here
http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Boats/Materials/Planking-and-Mouldings/Planking-Stripwood.ice

limes a nice wood to work with its flex's nicely and have a nice scale finish to the grain.

there are many ways to plank a deck, the easiest is to use a black marker down the edges of each plank to imitate the caulking and use superglue to stick it to the deck,
 others ways are using real caulking in between the planks about 0.5mm gaps. other ways are using plastic card either black or white at a 0.5mm thickness in between the planks

its personal preference how you want to stick it on .. superglue is a quick method, but you should take your time in case you mess it up and the plank sticks in the wrong place, evo stick or a contact adhesive of some sort will work. other ways are to use a 1mm ply base board ( cut to deck size) and wood glue the planks in place.

check out the forum for planking tips and tricks most will go into more detail then what i have provided

hope it helps  :-))

Brian Roberts

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:54 pm »

Thanks Prophet, very helpful as usual, yes it's planking the deck I'm looking at.

Lime wood sounds good and caulking on the edges will save a lot of heartache I'm sure, but my one concern is will it "bleed"?

I suppose the one drawback with superglue is that once it touches, that's it. I've heard Cascamite
(right spelling?) mentioned somewhere, have you had any experience of it?

Anyway, thanks again

Brian

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:50 pm »

Brian,  Cascamite is a resin based wood glue usually bought in powder form and mixed with water.
It is very strong and used to be used by carpenters for external and internal woodwork-  I used it
35 years ago for DIY woodworking.  Also has reasonable gapfilling properties.  I am not sure if you
can still get it under the cascamite name.  I used it to glue all the frames together on my first
model (3yrs ago) but I dont think I got it under that brand name.

Geoff

Brian Roberts

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:41:44 pm »

Thanks very much Geoff, something else to think about for my project.

Brian

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:04:44 am »

when i deck my boats i always use a quick drying water tight wood glue and pins to Hold the planks in place, but i do have a ply sub base as the glue surface. i have in the past used the black marker trick and occassionaly it has run but a quick sand down before coating in varnish removed 99% of it,

i personaly have never used cascamite if you use it let me know how you got on with it,
i also havent used cauking either simply becasue i dont know how to!  but one day i may try using it if i ever build a 'woody' ( plank on frame full wooded boat no paint)

my usual method is using .05mm plastic card strips black normally but i am working on my huntsman currently and i fancy using the white stuff this time round.

try this thread for some info.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13888.msg133196#msg133196

there is a build in the master class section with someone using cauking in the deck build but yet again when you need to fidn it you can't ubt look through the masterclass section at ther builds you will find loads of tips and tricks  :-))

Brian Roberts

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:04:39 pm »

Thanks Prophet for all the useful information, and from what you and others say I'll be definitely be putting the deck planking on a ply base.
As you say there's loads of information available on "Wood care and finishing" on the Mayhem site.
Thanks again.
Brian

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:00:13 pm »

your welcome bud be sure to post a pic of your deck once its done show us how you got on  :-))

Col_Pat

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 11:11:25 am »

A couple of things to consider before using a ply base

1) This will raise the deck level so that the combing around the deck house and hatches will be reduced.

2) The ply will need to bend slightly to follow the curve of the deck so check that your ply curves smoothly in the right direction.

3) Check that there is no overhang of the ply at the deck edges, as the bullwarks sit in a recess at the top of the hull.

Cascamite is a wood/wood glue and will probably not adhere to the 'PLURA' hull.

I used waterproof Evostick to fix the planks direct ti the hull

Colin

Brian Roberts

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:20:57 pm »

Thanks Col Pat for your advice and after weighing up all the options I think I'll stick the planks directly onto the deck having "roughed it up" first. I understand that the thickness of the Atlantis deck can be critical when it comes to installing the shroud hooks.

Thanks again

Brian

Col_Pat

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 02:26:41 pm »

Brian

Another adhesive that is even better for planking direct onto the PLURA hull is THIXOFIX. this adhesive is thixotropic and is used to bond Formica to wood.

Whilst also a contact adhesive it has the advantage of allowing you to slide the wooden strips on the plastic deck for more accurate positioning before it 'cures' and you will not need to rough up the plasic deck.

Also completely waterproof, so there is no fear of the deck planks lifting after long immersion in water, you will find the decks often awash if you
sail with a full rig (including the Genoa).

My experience of simulating caulking at this scale is limited but on my own boat this has not been done, and unless you are showing the boat instead of sailing it I cannot
say it makes a difference to the untrained eye. and anyway the modern practice is to caulk with a similar coloured silicone material that probably not be visible at this scale!

If you have any further queries please PM (or email) if you wish. I still have the boat, but have not sailed it for several years. I could if you wish take a couple of photos of the deck.

Colin

zorrow

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »

I just finished my Star 45, I laid down a sub deck of 1/16" aircraft ply then the planks are of Alaskan yellow cedar. I used titebond 3 for glue. The caulking lines are .012" of black construction paper edge glued to the planks before attaching to the subdeck. West System and 1oz cloth then spar varnish on top coat.

dave kelly

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:48:01 am »

I just finished my Star 45, I laid down a sub deck of 1/16" aircraft ply then the planks are of Alaskan yellow cedar. I used titebond 3 for glue. The caulking lines are .012" of black construction paper edge glued to the planks before attaching to the subdeck. West System and 1oz cloth then spar varnish on top coat.

that looks fantastic m8 about 2 years ago i used ply subbase and sheet veneer and then used steel rule and hot scribe and put the deck lines in it came out really well
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.