Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flags on Fishing boats  (Read 3772 times)

Nordsee

Flags on Fishing boats
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »

My Cutter is getting close to her first Regatta. (2 weeks away!!) I want to have the correct flags in the right places. So, she is a two masted, Gaff rigged, Channel cutter. Period, around 1912.Sailing from Folkestone . What flags would she be flying, including her House Flag, and where would they be placed? If I get them wrong, there will be enough critical voices telling me!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flags on Fishing boats
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »

If shes just sailing All you need is the Red Ensign streamed From the peak of the after gaff and if you want her house flag from the mizzen truck (top of the mizzen mast) if you were going across to France you would also stream a French courtesy flag From the starboard spreader when I french waters...... I'm Just curious about the term Cutter ... A cutter rigged vessel only has a single mast with more then one head sail  (Jib's & stay sail) Most British fishing vessels were Ketch rigged ( two masted with the maim mast foreward and the smaller mizzen mast aft but foreward of the rudder head) or Yawl rigged (with the main mast foreward and a small mizzen stepped aft of the rudder head) some were schooner rigged ( With the larger maim mast stepped aft of the smaller foremast) but this wasn't a very common rig for British fishermen... But the cutter rig was popular But it had only a single mast with normaly a gaff mainsail a top sail one two three jibs and a stay sail
Hope this helps you
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:18:45 pm »

The Photo you've posted is a Ketch rigged vessel
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

Nordsee

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »

I built from plans of an actual German Fishing boat, built in 1903, and there it says" Fisch Kutter Astarte " I have called it that as I live in Germany and their names do not tally with British Terms. A Yawl and a Ketch are defined opposite if you understand me!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:33:50 pm »

Yes, It's caused a lot of problems internationally  So many of the names and terms have completely different meanings
 The flags I said you should fly are international  regulations

1) the country of regester. Aft where it can best be seen (On a sailing vessel at sea at the after gaff ) in port at the flag staff aft.
2) entering port or in another country's waters a courtesy flag at the stb'd yard arm (the flag of the country) also you may fly the vessels House flag at the main truck
3)Signal flags  (If Needed ) should be displayed at the port yard arm
Jimmy
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.