Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WW2 Tug Weathered Photos  (Read 2390 times)

Dave Buckingham

WW2 Tug Weathered Photos
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:25 am »

Hi Folks
I have an Model Slipway ENVOY tug kit to build and want to paint in a well used state I.E. back from the north atlantic patrol.

I am looking for any good photos of tugs and or warships in this condition to help with the paint scheme.

Having spent 25 years at sea I well know that no ship after a long voyage is perfect,

The wartime tugs were worked hard with plenty of knocks and wear that is what I am after

Apart from just coming out of the builders yard no ship is spotless

I know any paint available was used but what is the correct Grey?

Thanks

Dave

pugwash

Re: WW2 Tug Weathered Photos
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:27 am »

Hi Dave,  I was looking for the correct shade of grey for a 1960s warship and John Haynes
suggested the correct admiralty colour for that period was Lt weatherworks grey available
in 500 ml tins from White Ensign Models.  I sprayed my destroyer hull yesterday with this
paint and from memory and the colour photos I took in the 60s it looks the bees knees.
BUT was that the colour in WWII and would it have had a camo colour scheme sorry I
can't help you but there are some more knowledgeable people on here  will keep you right

Geoff

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:47:24 am »

Dave, Having seen this question discussed many times I am firmly of the opinion that there is no correct grey.  Most vessels, especially the smaller ones, seemed to use whatever paint was available and so consequently many different shades could be found on the same ship.  

I have an Envoy, a Resolve and a Navy Joffre with the Envoy and the Resolve sprayed with Halfords grey primer and the Joffre hand painted with Humbrol medium grey enamel.  I actually prefer the Humbrol as I was able to generate some more realistic surface textures which then took washes more effectively.  I used dark brown oil paint washes as well as a much more rust colour around appropriate areas.

I fully intend doing the same finish to the Envoy one day but it will be a long process as the Joffre took a couple of weeks.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:58:07 am »

Here's a couple of original shots I also have which you might find interesting:
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:36:41 pm »

Hi Bunkerbarge and Pugwash

Thanks folks Camoflage was not used on the Envoys as far as I can tell as they were built near the end of the war.

The Joffre looks very good (As do the others) I am looking for a bit more wear Rubbing strakes, Anchor Hawse Pipe area
etc plus some knocks rusting,

I expect I will go for Halfords Grey Primer for ease and good base for weathering

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.