Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: billing boat fittings kit  (Read 6434 times)

lambretta

billing boat fittings kit
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:26 pm »

Hi all, just wondering (i'm new to model boats) if anyone knows where I can get a complete fittings kit for a Nordkap? or maybe someone knows the email address for Billing boats which is not the USA ones?

Prophet

Re: billing boat fittings kit
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:54:42 pm »

if this is the right boat... then all the fittings should have been in the box, thats what the add says anyway, if not contact your boat supplier and see what they can do or contact billings directly for the parts your missing
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/billing_boats_nordkap.html

be warned though ,.. some models only supply some of the fittings the rest you may have to create yourself.

hmsantrim

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:06:00 am »

Hi lambretta.
                    This is the official Billings site you may find what you want here.

http://www.billingboats.com/

cheers Frank

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 08:04:27 am »

I built a Nordkap some time ago - plank on frame hull - and all fittings were included.

Barrie

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:08:56 am »

I think some of the early ones (pre laser cut and probably pre 80's), the fittings kit was an extra

Is your one laser cut?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

lambretta

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »

its actually on ebay, for sale at moment! the seller has told me in a really sarcastic way 'its a complete wooden kit only' so no, there isn't any fittings!
I've built a few Billing Boats and they did all come with fittings so I can only presume its pre 80's .
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BILLING-BOATS-476-NORDKAP-MODEL-KIT-/320576400594?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN

Prophet

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:53:05 pm »

no fittings don't buy it be more hastle then its worth tracking parts. appreciated new is "£270' but at least you get everything and if anythings wrong you get return policy along with the ability to get parts that are missing, personally its up to you but i would'nt buy it regardless how cheap it is..

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 07:29:22 pm »

Judging by the packaging thats an old old one circa late 1970s, back then the fittings were often sold as a seperate package.  I doubt they would be available seperately nowadays.

Also im my experience older stored kits can hide a multitude of problems, from warped ply wood sheets to dry and brittle planking.

In my opinion it is too much money for what it is.

I would save your money and go for the newer laser cut NordKap
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 08:33:46 pm »

E2V is quite correct, the kit is from the 70's era and the fittings were sold as a separate item. I had a Zwarte Zee of the same era, fittings likewise. To be brutally honest, if the fittings were included you would be very disappointed as their quality was to say at best abysmal and are nowhere near the ones available today.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 08:52:25 pm »

To be brutally honest, if the fittings were included you would be very disappointed as their quality was to say at best abysmal and are nowhere near the ones available today.

Are you sure? Most of the Billing Boats metal and plastic fittings in their older kits appear to be identical to those in their current kits + fittings range (I have a 70s-vintage "Bohuslan" with fittings set). The wood parts are another matter! (printed on solid, usually brittle, wood vs. laser-cut ply in the new kits) - but in my experience the fittings in older Billings kits are no different to the new ones.

I would definitely agree with Essex2visuvesi's comments regarding the kit's value, it would be much better to go for a new one (or keep an eye out on eBay for a newer second-hand kit), with an old kit like this all you will likely be able to use are the bulkheads, keel and (hopefully) stripwood + dowel.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 09:08:14 am »

Sorry Edward, somewhat of an ambiguous answer. The Billings fittings for the wooden ZZ were abysmal, and I was comparing to modern non Billings fittings. Flat pieces of brass strip 1/8" x 1/16" with three holes drilled it them do not give a good representation of handrail stanchions and given that the fittings kit was not far short of the boat kit cost either says the fittings were good value to the poor quality of the boat kit or visa-versa. The fittings did come in rather big smart boxes though?

Regards   Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.