Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor for a Bugsier tug  (Read 2576 times)

wibplus

Motor for a Bugsier tug
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:22:35 pm »

Hi Guys, I am about to start building a Bugsier tug and (being very new to boating) I am trying to find any info on the correct running gear. :D
As I said, I am very new to boating and therefore on a very steep learning curve.  %)
Not having a lot of "know-how" means I need to ask loads of questions and hopefully some knowledgeable mayhemers might be able to help.

I am hoping to run it on a 2s LiPo battery with nominal voltage of 7.2 - 8.4 volts.
Any suggestions about motor or ESC or props and shafts etc. would be most helpful and very welcome.  ;)

Thanks in advance.  :}

exvtop

Re: Motor for a Bugsier tug
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:14:29 pm »

Hi, wibplus.
My Bugsier has a 60mm 3 blade brass prop driven by a 6volt Decaperm motor geared down about 2 to 1.
Wouldn't recommend the Decaperm these days - far too expensive, but would think in terms of a large slow revving motor like the MMB900 (Mark's Model Bits) or Graupner 720BB. Similar prices.
Don't see the point of using LiPo batteries. You would have to add ballast anyway and might as well do it in the form of a decent size lead acid battery - say a 12volt 5Ah. Much easier to manage than LiPo's.
Almost any 15amp ESC (Action, Mtroniks, Electronize) with forward and reverse should be suitable for use with a lead acid battery and brushed motor but not suitable for a LiPo setup as most don't offer low cell voltage protection - i.e. the battery going below 3volts per cell which does it no good at all.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:19:24 pm »

you'll be needing this link for all electronic needs  :-))
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

AmbuTech

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:40:17 am »

I have just finished building the Bugsier myself.

I have fitted the 919D MFA 6:1 Ratio running at 12Volts, 15A Mtronics ESC and a 50mm brass prop ( I would always recommend brass props over plastic).

It all seems to run very well. Saying that I may try a slightly larger prop at a later date just to see what difference it makes.

Rgds Ken

wibplus

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:28:26 am »

Thanks loads for all the very helpful replies.   :-))

I can now start to get things together and make some progress.   :}

Looking forward to getting her waterborne soon.  :-) :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.