Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Floating Off  (Read 10307 times)

Tankerman

Re: Floating Off
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 10:12:14 am »

Most of the commentary on programs like "Mighty Ship" is sensational c**p to impress gullible land-lubbers. There was one program on Channel 5 the other night about three (mega????) ships entering Rotterdam - the commentary was so banal that after five minutes I watched the program with the sound turned off.

Chris

The long Build

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 10:28:57 am »

Was this thing ever raised? It just seemed to have succumbed to BarryMs idea that a flock of seagulls may have landed just at the wrong time.
As far as that nicely drawn idea of the bottom bit acting as a pendulum is concerned....well, when floating in a fluid, and ignoring the actual weight of what's going from side to side above your head is a recipe for disaster. The centre of Gravity of an object (like the rigs illustrated) will move as it "tilts" (or rolls), so the "low" side will be the heavier as far as "leverage" is concerned. So you get a turning "moment" that can only be counteracted by a stronger counteracting lever (or moment). So. Sorry. Your take one a ships stability gets you a basic "0 out of 10". Please try harder! But I still don't have a full answer. BY.

Yes it was according to this report, and is showing on the companys website as still active.

http://www.cargolaw.com/2006nightmare_mightyserve3.html#the-feature

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:14 am »

...Hi Guys...

I enjoy watching the Mighty Ships programmes on tv but i have to agree with  Tankerman about the commentary...

Every episode contains a problem which could spell disaster but always gets solved in the nick of time...A wee bit like The A Team...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 02:28:42 pm »

Most of the commentary on programs like "Mighty Ship" is sensational c**p to impress gullible land-lubbers. There was one program on Channel 5 the other night about three (mega????) ships entering Rotterdam - the commentary was so banal that after five minutes I watched the program with the sound turned off.

Chris

That's about as far as I lasted, but I wandered off and watched some quiz show repeat somewhere. How on earth did we manage with just the 3 channels years ago ? Now I can trawl through page after page of channels and still find nothing that arouses any interest.  {:-{

Mike

Patrick Henry

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 04:32:03 pm »

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 06:46:44 am »

That looks identical to a one I passed coming through the Great Belt, she presumably was heading outward from Leningrad

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.