Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical problem  (Read 4766 times)

darthu812

Technical problem
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:36 am »

im puzzled over what has happened with my motor and rudder. I have a deans marine our lass model which when i bought was almost ready to run. I got all the other equiptment i needed and connected it up as the instructionns said. I tried her in the bath and the motor worked fine but the rudder didnt seem to move. I then took her out to the loch and the same again happened so i took her ashore by the lake to try and fix the problem and by accident i turned the radio control off first before the boat switch and it said on the instructions not to do this. So i have 2 problems now both the rudder and motor dont correspond to the radio control and i have no idea how to fix this if it even can be fixed :(:(:(

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Big Ada

Re: Technical problem
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:28:51 am »

Have you tried swapping the plugs around in the Rx to see if that changes things, Was aerial extended on Tx. lots of other Qs but need more info.

Len.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 11:33:00 am »

What radio set up have you got ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 11:52:08 am »

Turning the TX off first is not the best way to do things, but has to be survivable, since the radio has to be able to work through a temporary loss of signal.
A servo swinger is a great device for testing servos and ESCs, eliminating any possible problems coming from the radio.  If I had a boat with a rudder that didn't work at home, I would be reluctant to put it in the lake.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

darthu812

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:08:42 pm »

ive got a futaba attack 2er transmitter and reciever pack which i used the RX and TX out of and connected them up. I didnt actually notice if the rudder worked or not in the bath i just assumed it did but there isnt any room to turn in the bath, i only had it in to test the ballast was ok. Then i realise at the loch the boat wouldnt turn- probably not the best place realise this.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:19:26 pm »

Are you using a speed controller with a Bec. If you are you should not be using the receiver pack.

If your cable from the speed controller to the Rx has 3 cables try disconnecting the receiver pack.

Have you got the plugs for the rudder and the motor on the right Rx connections. ie not rudder on motor connection etc.?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Prophet

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:41:52 pm »

Esc should be connected into channel 2,( forward reverse on TX left side of the TX) rudder servo into channel 1. (left and right on the right hand of the TX)

If the esc has a BEC don't use a receiver pack.
If you want to use a receiver pack.. disconnected the central cable from the esc from the plug

Check the servo is actually functioning.. sounds like a duff servo from what you have said its a tad unclear if thats the case does the servo actually move when its connected to the Rx and the TX is used to make it move?

If the servo does not move get a replacement that's a duff servo..

Check the internal battery is fully charged, some esc's have built in fail safes and if the battery is under powered the fail safe will kick in stopping all functions on the boat inc the rudder servo if you using the BEC in the esc.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 02:06:09 pm »

What speed controller are you using?
What battery(ies) are powering her and the radio?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Prophet

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:24:18 pm »

its just popped into my head but did you install the servo yourself? did you set up the servo to neutral position before you placed the servo arm on for the rudder connection. i have seen inexperienced people to this before they just shove the arm on with out setting the servo to neutral, what tends to happen if they just shove the arm on with out alignment of the servo, the servo gains power and resets to neutral but due to the arms position its unable to turn locking up the servo and after a short amount of time burring it out or breaking the gears.

not sure if that the issue but its one of them, if thats the case hope you didn't bust the servo, if your lucky remove the servo arm. turn the power on and let the servo reset to 0 and adjust the TX Trim to the middle or neutral. then put the arm on so the rudder is as central as possible then screw the arm in place so not to slip later.

this is proably not the issue but it could happen,

i have had similar experience doing that, my issue was using an old mechanical esc i forgot to reset the trim on the TX to 0 placed the servo arm on. everything was fine .. took it out put the trim to neutral and couldn't understand why it whooshed off without any control... i was so pre-occipied trying to control it i didn't think to pull the trim back on the throttle..

we all have moments like this so don't laugh!

darthu812

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 08:52:41 pm »

still no luck in getting this fixed :(
i tried swapping the existing servo with the one i got with my futaba radio control pack and now whenever i swith the transmitter and boat switch on it spins a little and looks more lively anyway.
Still dont know why it doesnt turn when i use the transmitter and i dont know about the motor either it seems dead!
all the batterys are charged i dont know what it could be.
I didnt connect any of the electronics up it was already assembled apart from i added the reciever pack and transmitter.
what is a BEC? never heard of that

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:58:21 pm »

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the installation.
If not the next step is to remove it all from the model and get it on the bench where we can go through the set up 1 step at a time.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

darthu812

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 09:34:40 pm »

I now know what BEC means.
I dont know whether my ESC has A BEC or not but i tried disconnecting the batter pack  (the one with 4xAA batteries) and nothing changed so im guessung the ESC doesnt have a BEC.
So know i guess i will have to disconnect the red wire from the battery pack am i right? if so how do i go about this disconnect the red wire from the plug or at the battery pack? im guessing the plug?

Prophet

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »

bec on the esc is the central red cable.. disconnect it to use a receiver pack  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:57 am »

Dont disconnect the red wire from the battery pack or you will have no receiver power
I now know what BEC means.
I dont know whether my ESC has A BEC or not but i tried disconnecting the batter pack  (the one with 4xAA batteries) and nothing changed so im guessung the ESC doesnt have a BEC.
So know i guess i will have to disconnect the red wire from the battery pack am i right? if so how do i go about this disconnect the red wire from the plug or at the battery pack? im guessing the plug?

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:56:06 am »

Have a look here   http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783582
or have a look in  http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php

One of them should have something to fit your installation.

Start with just the RX battery and steering servo.  With the TX switched on, you should be able to control the servo.  If not, there is something radicle wrong with the radio setup, and all bets are off.
The RX and TX do have matching crystals?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.