Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: British Chieftain MBT  (Read 11651 times)

Prophet

British Chieftain MBT
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:49:23 am »

Although this is has nothing to do with Boating in any real form i though i would share one of my past exploits the British Chieftain MBT. from the original kit it has been heavily modified to up to date standards (2007) it is also heavily weathered. i just though i would share something I'm proud of thats not a boat. modelsa bit dusty its been sat on the window seal for 3 years!

This kit also had the option to power it... i never powered it up due to the detail work i did on it i felt that knocking it about wasn't worth it. But if anyone intrested in powering it ... it can be done . its the Revell British Chieftain MBT purchased in 2005, left in the box until 2007 when i finally built it. the kit came with a cast plastic controller for a wired option of power along with rubber tracks.

The model features quite a few moving parts .

All the hatches open inc the one under the gun turret when its in a firing position, the gun support for transportation is also working and will support the turret barrel, the tracks/wheels all move freely. i have added rust.. burn marks around the exhaust vents . and other vents, bullet holes into track skirt and a few 'skid shots over other areas, these are down to bare metal that have in some places started to rust. anyhow i hope you enjoy the photos.

My Intension at the time was to put this on to a landing craft and let the tank drive off. although i won't be using this tank to do that now, i will be looking in the near future to doing this landing craft project proably in the 1.35 scale or larger if i can find the right size tank kit.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: British Chieftain MBT
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 01:08:27 pm »

I've got one of those.

Few more tanks here.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15663.0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 01:13:22 pm »

very nice i see im not the only one taken by the look of this tank a real eye pleaser  :-))

karls

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:03:04 am »

That some nice looking tanks prophet and dickyd very nice detail.. :-))sorry guys but my fav is a mk 1 tiger. I will try and dig out a pic of my tiger i had a few years back..
not as nice as yours but i liked it :-)
atb karl

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 01:31:12 am »

Ive just bought a couple of Heng Long RC Tanks for my boys as xmas presents, first impressions are pretty good (one had to test them lol) they have a KPV-1 and a Panther tank. so I have ordrered a Tiger for myself.  I fancý the Full option Tiger from Tamiya but the other half said NO!

Have to say the detailing on your guys models is very good.  In a good kitbuilder, but when it comes to super detailing weathering etc Im hopeless!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:18:39 am »

i've been lkooking at the heng long tanks recently to do with a landing craft project at 1:16 scale, i have found some of the heng long tanks have the whole wack . smoke, metal gears tracks, bb firing turrent, lights and sounds, there about £270 which is about 400 quid cheaper then a tamiya

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/henglong.htm

i did find a site selling the whole shebang, for £120 but i think they made a pigs ear of the spec's since the basic model is £120 on its own
http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/1-16th-bulldog-smoking-rc-tank-pro-version.html

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:11:26 am »

Howes Models for Heng Long Tanks.

Fully radio control high detail 1/16 scale tank featuring SOUND and SMOKE units, high gripping caterpillar tracks, varying speed forward, back, right and left movement, plus rotating and lifting turret which fires BB bullets (included)! AND metal tracks and gears!!

£89.99 plus P&P

http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/RadioControl/viewProducts.php?SubCatID=170

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Prophet

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:22:59 am »

bang on  :-)) tank zone seams very over priced, only think that suggest to me that some of there heng long tanks are closer to the £300 mark would me they may have metal chassis, any suggestions on that?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:26:19 am »

The prices have fallen through the floor recently, both of the tanks I bought recently were €65, theres are full option with sound and smoke, tho they dont have metal tracks or gearboxes

The tiger I bought myself was a little more as it has metal gears.  (79€)

There are also a few sites that do etched brass detail parts and conversion kits... Ill be looking into these for my tiger at a later date

I think it was Wullie who was into tanks as well maybe he can shed more light on the matter

The Metal track upgrade with wheels is about €80-100

mattycoops43

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:29:49 am »

Bear in mind, the cheap bb firing ones are not airsoft, they just have a spring mechanism and the pellet dribbles out of the end of the barrel. Henglong do airsoft tanks, which are a hop up option, so it may be possible the tank zone are the hop up ones, which would explain the price. I don't know, but it's a possibility.

Prophet

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 09:42:14 am »

i have 'some' experience with smoke effects and making things go bang.. i would most likely swap out the BB firing part and fit a 'blank firing' effect smoke out of the turret with a glare of light (look like a tracer round) I'm not into the combat side of these things, simply no one around these parts do that here, but i have tons of hills and muddy areas to crawl around locally, but my intrest is purely the size of a working model tank to fit on a landing craft, i have seen Revell is currently selling an LCV 3 landing craft and jeep at 1:35 scale for about £30 ( half rrp, don't know what Revells up to they did that with the Gato class sub i got that for £30! and now there selling the snowberry for about £40?) should i be inclined to go for a 1:35 scale lcv they i have option to buy a new chieftain tank and fit the motor options, the heng long and Tamiya both still don't sell the Chieftan and thats the tank i want to have running of the craft, so if all else fails I'll go for the Bulldog, its the closest i can get to British i guess. or the other option is to buy one of the heng long tank that has the same style chassis as the chieftan and build my own top section, ( make with plastic card, as a plug and form with gpr) unless anyone knows where you can get a 1:16 scale chieftain tank with all the metal parts?

hollowhornbear

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:02:31 am »

for tanks and all the info you could want check here.
http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php
I have a heng long tiger i'm in the process of super scaling, the barrel is to short as standard for a start.

garston1

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 01:27:15 am »

I've always thought that the Chieftain MBT was one of the most handsome tanks ever made. Are any countries still using them?

Prophet

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20:08 am »

I'm not sure if any are still in use by my brother who's in the army had a photo taken on one 2 years ago in one of the bases he was visiting it was in the workshop being repaired from what i understand from his story.

what also makes me wonder is that you can buy all sorts of tanks but the Chieftain is very hard to come across especially in larger scales i have seen it in 1/100 and 1/35 which is what the model is but i have never seen it bigger, the Heng long tanks i have found are all of old ww2 and some modern tanks but there missing a key number of British tanks that clearly would sell better, appreciated that the Tiger tank is the most famous but its German... not everyone wants to run around with a German tank i especially don't and yet the ones i would run around with are not available leaving only the options to scratch build  >>:-(

garston1

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 11:24:42 pm »

I'm not sure if any are still in use by my brother who's in the army had a photo taken on one 2 years ago in one of the bases he was visiting it was in the workshop being repaired from what i understand from his story.

what also makes me wonder is that you can buy all sorts of tanks but the Chieftain is very hard to come across especially in larger scales i have seen it in 1/100 and 1/35 which is what the model is but i have never seen it bigger, the Heng long tanks i have found are all of old ww2 and some modern tanks but there missing a key number of British tanks that clearly would sell better, appreciated that the Tiger tank is the most famous but its German... not everyone wants to run around with a German tank i especially don't and yet the ones i would run around with are not available leaving only the options to scratch build  >>:-(

it's the same as the Challenger 1and 2, the best tank in the world bar none, all you see is US Abrams. Is it because the British are more secretive?

Prophet

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »

nope proably because its all made in japan and china, chances are they aren't allowed access to British military vehicles for what ever reason i guess  :-X who's knows  {:-{

garston1

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 11:40:13 pm »

i suppose that could be understood :-))

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 04:09:09 am »

it's the same as the Challenger 1and 2, the best tank in the world bar none, all you see is US Abrams. Is it because the British are more secretive?
Probably No. Maybe that the Yanks are more pushy pushy.  :(( :(( :((
Which is why Oz now has the Abrams instead of the Chieftan as replacement of the Leopard  <:( <:( <:( <:(

swordfish fairey

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 02:45:43 pm »

what also makes me wonder is that you can buy all sorts of tanks but the Chieftain is very hard to come across especially in larger scales i have seen it in 1/100 and 1/35 which is what the model is but i have never seen it bigger

[/quote]

I seem to remember a 1/25th scale motorized Chieftain being available a few years ago, it could have been a Nichimo kit, don't think it was Tamiya, but I could be wrong........Smudge

No sooner did I post this when I found this on the Bay of E.....item # 260575787548....£155.00 + P&P Still it does come with 4 channel radio...Smudge

garston1

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 10:09:30 pm »

what also makes me wonder is that you can buy all sorts of tanks but the Chieftain is very hard to come across especially in larger scales i have seen it in 1/100 and 1/35 which is what the model is but i have never seen it bigger

I seem to remember a 1/25th scale motorized Chieftain being available a few years ago, it could have been a Nichimo kit, don't think it was Tamiya, but I could be wrong........Smudge

No sooner did I post this when I found this on the Bay of E.....item # 260575787548....£155.00 + P&P Still it does come with 4 channel radio...Smudge

h h h h how much???????

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 11:37:13 pm »

Looking at a trumpeter 1-35 Leopold railway gun complete with loco :)
http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/trumpeter-280mm-leopold-railroad-00207-p-3316.html
And this
http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/trumpeter-br52-kriegslocomotive-armoured-steam-loco-00210-p-1337.html

only on problem add the extra superdetailing kits for the train and the gun and you add another 150 odd quid lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.