Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firefox / Thunderbird  (Read 2243 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Firefox / Thunderbird
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

Hi all, I was invited to change the icon of each of the above, it looked innocent so I did.  It did change but the icons did not work.  All they did was called up 'My Computer'.
I deleted the icons and put new ones back as per normal and its back the way it was.....or is it?
Anyone any thoughts?

regards to all Roy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Firefox / Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:39:51 pm »

If you're on Widows, then I would go back to a previous restore point.  (you do restore occasionally, don't you   ok2 )

Firefox is a touchy program at the best of times.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:34:58 pm »

If you're on Widows, then I would go back to a previous restore point.  (you do restore occasionally, don't you   ok2 )

Firefox is a touchy program at the best of times.

Ken

Ken,
Understand using restore point to overcome problems  O0 but are you saying to use restore point as a matter of course and the need.
Am also running Firefox.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »

Hi all, I was invited to change the icon of each of the above, it looked innocent so I did.  It did change but the icons did not work.  All they did was called up 'My Computer'.
I deleted the icons and put new ones back as per normal and its back the way it was.....or is it?
Anyone any thoughts?

regards to all Roy
A lot depends on who did the inviting.  If its a .ico file from mozilla, it should have worked, because the icon should be just that - a file with a picture.  The associated properties are what tells the PC where to go when that area of screen is clicked.  Right clicking the icon should reveal not only the where to information, but there should be a button there that says "change icon". 
I would be wary of anything offering to do this for me, because inviting you to change a bit of the system is a favoured way in to your PC, and I would go for the system restore, failing that, a thorough scan with every malware getter ridder of program that I could get from majorgeeks' security section.  One at a time, of course.  The icon change might have been an innocuous error, on the other hand, you might have an uninvited guest.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:31:38 am »

I use both Firefox and Thunderbird and have not had this invite, and never have had in all the time I have been using them. The icon has changed occasionally, but only as part of a major update. Definitely run as many scans as possible if you don't have a erstore point available.

Barrie

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:17 am »

I use both Firefox and Thunderbird and have not had this invite, and never have had in all the time I have been using them. The icon has changed occasionally, but only as part of a major update. Definitely run as many scans as possible if you don't have a erstore point available.

Barrie

Ditto  O0

Mike

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:43:40 am »

Hi all, I was invited to change the icon of each of the above, it looked innocent so I did. 

This set off alarm bells so I'm glad I wrote to you.

My Firefox has a nasty habit of closing down with the message  " Do you want to save your sites visited"  so I say no. Next time I start up Firefox it goes straight to a  "Whoops, I'm sorry but I can't find your sites" message. I delete this and start again with normal web viewing session but if I close down Firefox, it will not start up again until the computer has been restarted, so while it's up and running I switch from site to site.

I gave Microsoft's Internet explorer a look, as I hadn't used it for over a year. My goodness what a bloated 'pig's ear' that was.   %)   I'm only going to use it if I have to. I tried transferring (importing) my favourites from Firefox over to I.E and it only shipped over half of them. (you can imagine how many I'd collected over 20 years !!)

I hope all is well with your system now.

Regards

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »

I'm giving Google Chrome a try out just now. Seems ok and a little faster than Firefox, as for IE that is just taking up space  >:-o

Mike

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »

Hi all, I took the advice to do a scan and there was nothing found so I am thinking it was a genuine event.
Computer seems to be running as normal so will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the responses,
kind regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.