Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winch / tow rope  (Read 4430 times)

john1951

Winch / tow rope
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:59:51 pm »

Can anyone suggest what I could use as a replacement for the original rope ?
I've had a look around the shops, but cant see anything that looks right.

John

mickyrubble

Re: Winch / tow rope
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:52:59 am »

Hi John,
 i used the rope that came with the original as well as some fly line backing (which is a very good represtation of modern braided rope) the cord from Venetian blinds also very good.A few chains of appropriate sizes can be had from cheap fashion jewelry shops and paint with hombrol brick red for that rusty look.The loops on the end of the tow line  is cyanoed  plus heat shrink to tidy the joint,this will give you a loop which will be able to use in towing.

Smaller hanks of rope can be made by rolling heavy thread round say 2 fingers and soak it in pva and hang in appropriate places pulland twist to get the right 'hang.Pva can also be used on the larger ropes to mould them into the shapes you want.
Don't forget to add a few shackles as well. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

john1951

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »

Hi Micky, many thanks for that info!
Could you please explain what" fly line backing" is ? (never heard of that before).

Cheers            John

pugwash

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:39:30 pm »

It is a braided line which is wound onto a fishing reel used for fly fishing - then you tie the
fly flishing line to the end of the braid.  It is a very strong line which does two things - firstly
if you get a larger fish it gives you more line to use if it shoots off down the river or lake and
secondly it fills up the spool of the reel making it faster to wind in line. because of this it is
usually very well made and it does look the part depending on the diameter of the rope you
want to represent. It isnt usually of a very large diameter- What scale are you making your model?

Geoff

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:22:06 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mickyrubble

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:10 pm »

Hi John,
  as Pugwash says it would depend on the scale  your tug is.The fly line backing is good for smaller scale tow lines or as a 'rope' (deck clutter),  at larger scale where you could use window blind cord as a tow line.As fly backing is fairly expensive ,i usually scrounge  old line from my fly fishing mates,if you want a couple of metres for your tug PM me your address and ill send you some asap.
A good source of window blind cord is car boot sales and if you are lucky enough to get wooden blinds (usually beech )  they make excellent  deck planking when cut down.
 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

mickyrubble

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:25:34 pm »

HI AGAIN John,
just remembered, bathroom pull cord also very good as modern braided rope,B & Q do a couple of differing types very cheap.This pull cord would be a good scale tow hawser for a seaport.
 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

john1951

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 06:37:35 am »

Many thanks for all the very useful advice!
At work today, I spotted a long length of rope-like looking string lying on a bench, so at home, I put in a mug of hot water with a Tea bag and left it to soak for an hour.
The result is a very realistic coloured looking tow rope!

John

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »

You have just passed your first scratchbuilder's exam  :-)) :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.