Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first scratchbuilt model and first modelboat ever  (Read 3970 times)

Freiesleben

My first scratchbuilt model and first modelboat ever
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:33:45 am »

Hi all,

Here is some of the first photos of my scratchbuilt modelboat, it is my first try so please bear with me if it is not that impressive.

The model I've based it on is the "Smit Clyde" as I like the modern tugs, and therefore got my interest for this one: http://www.smit.com/sitefactor/public/downloads/pdf/SHTR%20leaflets/Smit%20Clyde,%20Smit%20Humber.pdf

In the beginning I wanted to make a building jig, but in order to shape the lines of the tug better, I built a keel.

I am within the shipping segment, however I am the one sitting behind the desk, so my technical skills are maybe not that high.

As I am presently stationed in Singapore, and I therefore have to make all the work either in the living room or at the Balcony, so that limits my work a bit.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first scratchbuilt model and first modelboat ever
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:48:30 am »

it is my first try so please bear with me if it is not that impressive.

Freiesleben, the point of this or any other hobby is what you take from it. The only person you have to impress is yourself so don't sell yourself short. Some build to build, others build to sail, neither is wrong or right in itself as long as you enjoy doing your own thing.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Freiesleben

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:12:06 am »

Hi Circlip,

Thanks for your nice comments, much appreciated. I however a quite high standard myself, so I am hoping it will turn out good.

Looking forward being a part of this forum.

MichaelK

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:40:16 am »

Freiesleben,
This looks to be very good!
Are you building your Tug from those drawrings, or do you have more details?
And the same as Circlip, make our boat for you!
Mick

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:53:03 am »

Hello  Freiesleben .  and welcome to the Mayhem site. looking forward to seeing your build progress.

I do admire the people that can scratch build,  and to put your fist attempted on here  what courage, no one on here will say thats
right or thats wrong, they may offer advice as you will see from other posts,

I only build kits, which are hard enough at times. so I can appreciate scratch building skills all the more,
and remember  Circlip words if your happy thats good enough you will be the hardest to please.

keep the pics comming.

Mick

Freiesleben

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:02 am »

MichaelK: Thanks for your comments, yes I am building the tug from the GA-plan(general arrangement plan) of Smit Clyde only. I have however some pictures of another build of this tug, but that is build with a plastic hull, so it is only for the shapes I am using those pictures, as mine will be made of plywood.

MCAT: I also thank you for your comments, very nice to have comments from people, that is always useful. I was also considering buying a kit, but here in Singapore, that seems to be impossible and it would be very costly to buy it overseas, hence I decided to scratch build instead.

I will be uploading some more pictures, when I have all the frames fitted.

Freiesleben

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:50:02 am »

I have now fitted all the frames, and the hull is now ready to be covered by thin plywood. I have to adjust one of the frames in the stern a bit, when covering the hull(you can see why on one of the pics.).

Freiesleben

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:11:58 am »

Now I have fitted all the plywood and the hull has been covered with filler. It has been a bit of a challenge, especially because I cannot get that many things here in Singapore, hence I have had to improvise a bit. But I think that the result at present is quite OK, you can see some of the pictures below.

This was how and made the bow, by bending the plywood. What I did was to let it be in water for approx. 12hours, where after I bended it as per above. It turned out to be quite good, and I think the result of the bow is OK.

This is how it looked after the bended plywood was fitted.

This is after applying the first filler, it would was not the best result but I found a better product which you can see result of below.

The above picture is after the last wood was fitted, used balsa wood to get the best curves at the edge.

This is after the first coat of the new filler was applied, the result is much better.

This is after sanding the first coat of filler, the result is quite nice, but there were some spots which at least need another coat.

I am really satisfied with the result of the stern, the curves are very good.

crzydoyle11

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:55:29 am »

hey there shipmate I was looking at your photo's I myself not a pro at building as well, look's like you are doing just fine here there are lot's of great shipmates on this site welling to help any one that need's it. So keep up the good work that you have going on and keep the photo's coming. good luck with the build.  :-))

Freiesleben

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:14:58 am »

Thanks for the comments Crazydoyle, I have also given the tug the first coat of primer now and filled the small cracks etc., so soon she will be ready to get the final coat of primer. Will post some pictures once available.

I have been looking at the prices for the Graupner schottel drives, wow they are expensive, but I see no other option than to buy two of these.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:16 am »

Hi Freiesleben and welcome. I can only echo what has been said already, the pride when you look at your model and think 'I built that' is what counts'.
It certainly looks as though the hull shape is coming together nicely. What also impresses me is the fact that you can use the dining room table  O0 that smacks of a very understanding lady in the house, or perhaps you are single with Singapore as your stomping ground..ah that brings back the memories  ;) %) Also I bet there are not many here can boast a back drop such as yours in that last picture.
Keep 'em coming please

regards

Mike

Freiesleben

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 02:03:57 pm »

Hi Mike, thanks for your comments.

I am actually engaged, and my fiance is very understanding about my new hobby, hehe.

Yeah, it is a nice view we have from the 24th floor, but soon that will change to a view from the 3rd floor in Copenhagen, when we are going back for good.

I must admit that I have had that "I built that" feeling several times now, especially after the hull is taken shape.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »

Best hang on to that lady, she's one in a million  O0 There are certainly some nice views in Copenhagen too, but there is a bit of a difference when it comes to winter time  %% :((

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.